The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello and Intro

tar heel

Banned
Oct 23, 2009
Hello,

I've been reading these forums for about a year or so and have been studying some of the advices and info here, specifically in real estate related things.

I live in North Carolina and am currently a senior at UNC-chapel hill double majoring in public policy and biology and I am pre-med.....

I am going to be graduating soon, and it's coming to the point where I need to start taking action, so I figured I would start posting here for feedback and networking opportunities.

So a little more about myself. I have pretty much been pre-med all of college, though my grades are definitely sub par for pre-med standards and maybe some other standards too, lol. I have a genuine interest in medicine and sciences and I think I could be a good doctor, but I feel like I want to explore some other things before taking that path. I have always been interested in business and making deals even while in college, but I just never really pursed it much besides reading about companies, the people that started them, keeping up with stocks and business news. If I had to pick one goal in life, it would be financial freedom. An even better goal would be to create a nice net worth with some steady cash flow, and then pursue medicine.

Right now, I am in a cross road where, either I need to focus 100% on pre-med stuff and take extra classes to boost gpa, do some other pre-med crap, and devote a significant amount of time towards studying for the mcats OR going towards getting involved in a small business/startup - leaning towards real estate investing.

So, I have recently put pre-med stuff on pause.

It's recruiting time right now for like consulting firms, i-banking and other jobs. Applied to a bunch of places, got rejected with one interview so far. Failed at the interview...lol. I kinda stopped applying because every time I write a cover letter I feel like this is such a waste of time. Recently, I asked myself why I even wanted a job...and I feel like its because of some level of prestige, low risk, and parents would be happy. To me the money isn't good. I mean, getting a job is what everyone does.....right? lol. I was thinking, go work for like 3 years or so, go get mba, then better job, and then start my own business. Well, this is the point where I was like wtf. I don't think I am gonna enjoy this road to get to the point where I can start my own venture, and feel like I have the energy and youth to just study/learn and go straight into some business venture. Luckily, my parents are finically well off, and I could live at there place if everything fails, though I would really, really, really not want to do that. Not because living with parents is bad, its just failure to me is pretty scary, and this is probably my biggest weakness, which I try to address but it's been hard. Being a pre-med, you pretty much have your next 10 years or so set, and you get a very nice salary afterwards with great job security, and you are set till retirement. A note on salary, it's the ceiling on salary that I don't like....

So forward to right now, I have been looking into real estate investing. I went to a general body meeting for an association of real estate investors in this area, and plan on getting a full membership and going to dinners and some other events. Got one good contact, and hope to explore more in real estate investing. I have no money, though I have some really good sources for private money, but the hard part will be getting it.

Right now, I am looking to see if I can basically work for or preferably work with a real estate investor in the area for free. Sort of like shadowing or informal internship. I would like to get first hand experience in and exposure to all aspects of real estate investing and hopefully contribute as much I can to a given project. I enjoy learning and am a quick learner, so I think I could contribute. Hopefully, if I gain enough knowledge and experience within a year or so, I would like to start doing some small deals on my own with confidence and/or find a good partner.

This post is way longer than I expected, but if you did read until than the end or read it at all, I very much appreciate it. I am open to all sorts of advices, comments, and criticisms. I hope to return the help by making some meaningful contributions to other discussions.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
:Welcome: Tarheel

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Tarheel, awesome intro!!! Looks like you have some big decisions ahead of you ... especially with the current health care debate in the country. Keep us apprised how your proceed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...