The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello All

CarpetJocky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 20, 2009
Greetings Ladies and Gents I am humbled to be accepted here so soon!!!
I will say Like Johnny 5 (Short Circuit) I NEED INPUT !!! I will tell more about me later if anyone wishes so P/O -CarpetJocky.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, "Short Circuit" ... that brings back memories. Welcome to the board.

Alexishost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 8, 2009
welcome!

happy to know more about you! :)

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Greetings Ladies and Gents I am humbled to be accepted here so soon!!!
I will say Like Johnny 5 (Short Circuit) I NEED INPUT !!! I will tell more about me later if anyone wishes so P/O -CarpetJocky.

Hey carpetjockey! :Welcome: One of my favorite films of the 80s lol

scvswalle.jpg

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
Welcome to the board!!!

CarpetJocky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the warm welcome. Johnny 5 and Wall-E, I LOL!!! thats pretty creative. My story so far- I graduated High School somehow, despite my lack of academic interest. Day after High School I just started working full time for my Pops Roofing and Sheet metal company as a sheet metal apprentice. Had my first apartment at 18. Funny, I feel I learned more about working with sheet metal than actually about the roofing aspect of it. I worked there for about two years till my drug habit cought up with me and I quit because I got stupid on a job. Needles to say I had an aunt who said I could live with her until my life got straight. I stayed there for a few weeks until I found a way back in the game of life. I decided to enlist in the U.S. Navy, Long story short with that one I graduated boot camp, passed the A-School that was assigned to my rate -AO (Aviation Ordnance) Only God knows why? I was with the VFA-15 Valions for about a Month and a half until I just cracked and I felt hopeless. After all this I was discharged (under honorable conditions) Well I just contemplated suicide after this. I didn't know what to do with my life. The only thing I could think of doing was going back and live at my moms house. Well after a year and a half of my negative thinking attitude towards life and work itself, through all the shitty jobs I had and quit, decided to try to work with Stanley Steemer. well I was hired within a week of filling out a resume. Still live at my moms house,(Screw you anyone who laughs at me) Ha! Ha!J/Kidding. Now I am one of the Lead guys which feels pretty good most of the time. I would like to here about any stories within the Machinist field because for some reason (I would like to go to Machinist trade school) I know this is not Fastlane Thinking, but I would like to eventually own a machinist shop for starters after I achieve the goals I need to in order for this to happen. I know I wont be a millionaire for the first few years, any input greatly appreciated P/O -CarpetJocky.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
What do you want to know about machinists? I worked on the shop floors for 22 years. Tough work.

CarpetJocky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 20, 2009
Well a machinist on here!!! I would like to know all about it If I could. I have done manual (physical work) most of my adult life, I think I could handle a career as a machinist once I overcome my lack of math skills, please don't laugh. I saw a guy make a part out of bare metal for my bike out of his garage and I said to myself why not me? Feel free to comment about anything and please try to keep it positive, For a guy thats about to turn 30 in a few years and just now trying to get back in the game of life I could use positive feedback, thank you ladies and gents -CarpetJocky.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Well you have the right attitude. You are right, it will take math skills that include trig. However, most of the hairy calculations and projections are dictated by computer now. I have run manual mills, lathes, grinders, hones, and a variety of other manual machines. I have also operated and programmed CNC lathes, mills, and 5 axis machining centers. I have also done welding and sheet metal fabrication. I did own a machine and fabrication shop at one time.

The up side of this is if you prove yourself it can be a challenging job. You will get the more difficult assignments. It can keep you interested in what you are doing. It pays well and the benefits were usually pretty good at major employers.

The down sides are many. It's physically tough on your back, wrists, fingers, knees, and feet. Most shops do not want you sitting down at all. The standing in one spot and monitoring a machine is mind numbing and hurts. When everything is running well it's all you can do to stay alert and focused. The fumes are hard on your lungs. The hydraulic pump noise is tough on the ears. The long term damage from the constant noise is permanent(wear hearing protection). You are always at risk to get it in the eye by a shattered cutting tool. Your hands and fingers are always getting cut. If you get into the aircraft or energy industries it is lay off work. You will work 60-70 hours a week one year and get laid off the next year. Most of the employees on the shop floor have a victim mentality. They believe "the man" is trying to get them every day. It's tough to hang with the guys and not have it get on you. Also, the shifts are killers if you have a family.

If you still want to do this I would not go through a trade school unless you have an ironclad employment agreement. Most of the major employers do their own training. The trade schools will sell you an education package and promise the moon. Many employers won't touch trade school grads, they are untrainable. My suggestion would be to get a job with a shop as a helper or debur person and work your way up. Or go to the shops and see if they will hire you after you graduate. Do your homework before signing on for the education debt. Good luck.

CarpetJocky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 20, 2009
Well If I do decide to go this route I will pay for a trade school out of my own expense I am almost debt free at this point in time and I will not go down that road again, no matter how hard life is. I would like to work for a small company for a few years, learning skills as much as I can, I think as far as standing all day I could handle that aspect, I have worked in the roofing and sheet metal field, and I have had very tough days, I appreciate your feedback my friend,I don't see myself wanting to do anything but learn about this field. for starters fow did your business in this field go, If you don't mind me asking. Hope to hear back from you

-CarpetJocky.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
for starters fow did your business in this field go, If you don't mind me asking. Hope to hear back from you -CarpetJocky.

You really need to read the E-Myth.

The business did alright but it was 16 hour days 7 days a week. I was a typical craftsman that was frustrated by working for "the man." I always knew a better way to do everything. So I quit and bought my own equipment and went into the machining and fabrication biz. My main clients were involved in motorsports. I love motorsports and craftsmanship so it was a natural fit for me.

What you are not prepared for is having to do sales, marketing, parts runs, ordering, consulting, managing, HR, and diagnostics. This is while welding, shaping, grinding, machining, etc. I had a couple of beginning guys working for me but my perfectionism wouldn't allow them to do their jobs. I was constantly redoing their stuff.

After 3 years of it I came to the realization that I needed a bigger shop and more staff. This meant more commitment from me. I had no more to give. I couldn't keep the pace up and did not know enough to find any remedies. I sold the equipment but I still have the small shop.

Every once in a while I get the itch to get back into it. I have learned that I like the thought of getting back into it more than the actual doing.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...