The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

He wants to work with me

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Hi guys,

I'm just thinking about starting a new business for now. A side business in parallel of my slowlane job.
(e-commerce)

I have a colleague (who's also a friend) who works in the marketing departement inside my company as a designer/graphist.

I talked to him about my idea in order to have his opinion and found that very interresting and gave me some very useful advices about design and brande image. So I asked him if he was ready to work with me for the service deployment and he directly replied that he would work with me if he can get a % of sell.

I don't know how to take his proposal as I first thought I would do all the stuff on my own for this project. Including the website deployment and advertisement.

Also, I found his asking cheeky because the way I see my project is that I'll need a lot of "one shot" work (website design / logos) but then what he will do ? Because if the next step is to sell the products, this guy who get his % doing nothing shit.

I would like to get your opinion if my situation is explained clearly enough.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Why not just outsource/hire someone?

1.) It won't impede on the friendship
2.) No %'s

Looks like a win to me.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Why not just outsource/hire someone?

1.) It won't impede on the friendship
2.) No %'s

Looks like a win to me.

Yeah I'm thinking about just ask someone else to do that job (if I can't) and tell him that I've done it by my self.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Can you clarify this? Do you want his help or no?

well, I'm not sure actually as he gave me very valuable advices in a very short period of time. But beside of this, I want to develop my thing by myself. Especially if his condition is a part of sells. Maybe I got the wrong mindset about this point. Or maybe I would work with someone from outside and that's it.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
If you want to do it yourself than you’ve answered your own question.

If you think he could help then it comes down to value he can add. If I thought somebody could expand or grow my business 100% why wouldn’t I give them 20% of it?

If he helps with a one time project then any % of sales would be foolish, unless it’s a Kevin O’Leary type deal where he gets a % until he is paid X and then he’s out.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
You said your colleague provided you with useful information, and he works in marketing... Instead of giving him a percent, why not pay him for services as and when required?

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I think you're kind of putting the cart before the horse here. Sure, ownership structure is critical, but do you even have a product yet?

He gave you some cool suggestions. Why don't you outsource the one-off things like web development, implement his suggestions, see how far you get, then assess? If you're getting stuck in an area he might add a lot of value to, you can decide if it's worth bringing him in as a partner.

TL;DR: Do everything you can without help. If you get stuck, get help.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So, he asked. You can always say no. No harm, no foul.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Never give anyone a share or percentage of your business. Own it 100% until you are ready to sell it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don’t understand why you asked I’m to work with you? His response seems reasonable.

You should have asked him to help you.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
He probably just assume that’s what you wanted to do since you didn’t offer to pay him maybe he thought you’d prefer to do it that way as you are just starting out. Either tell him you’ll pay him a lump sum for work done or give him the %.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
He probably just assume that’s what you wanted to do since you didn’t offer to pay him maybe he thought you’d prefer to do it that way as you are just starting out. Either tell him you’ll pay him a lump sum for work done or give him the %.
Nop, he jumped on this percent proposal after I told him I would pay him for his help. So that's clearly what he wants. But you guys are right, I'll progress as far as I can without his help then if I get stuck I'll ask his help (payed). But no percentage sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.