The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have been developing my programming skills, now courses...?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jacob_Losco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hey! Thanks for stopping to read this post,
This thread and the people in it inspired me to take on a self development track. It is currently kicking my a$$, but I'm not going to give up on it yet.

As part of this track, I spend as many hours in the day as I can reading up on programming and making projects to test what I have been learning. This has been a good method of practice for me, and knowing that I have only been doing it (and love doing it) for a few months has me excited about the future. There has been both web dev and desktop applications in my lineup, but am planning on focusing more on the back end technologies while still being able to make my on websites.

My question to any more experienced programmers out there is: is there any point in taking courses like on Udemy or Treehouse? I am currently a freshman in college, and at the moment I am not taking any computer science classes because I have tested out of the first semester, but I am just wondering if there is any use in taking courses from websites like these...

Thanks, and I hope you have a good day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
You can definitely learn something from both Udemy and Treehouse. Find what works for you, test them all. Udemy courses are $12-$15 - I wouldn't think twice about giving it a go.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The best way to learn programming is to pick a project and try to solve it in code.

That's how I learned the most, and I've heard several other people (e.g. the Collison brothers who founded Stripe) say the same.

Udemy and Treehouse are fantastic resources; but don't take courses just to take courses.

Start with a project or a problem. Don't worry about it making money. Then, just get to work on programming it.

I did an engineering degree for 4 years, coding every day, and didn't learn nearly as much until I needed to program a microscope to automate data collection, program a script to analyze it, and work on my first web app product ideas (first was a two sided marketplace for locally sourced food, the second was a tool to create teaching activities for pre-schoolers).

While those two products of mine were not successful or even commercially viable, they gave me a frame around which to think – a problem to solve.

You will not learn coding by trying to memorize or understand all the nuances of a language or boolean logic. What will teach you to code is actually solving problems with code.

Once you have a project you are working on, the courses on Udemy, Treehouse, YouTube, etc. will have a LOT more context. I personally rarely take video courses because they are so much slower for me now than just reading through articles and books. But when something is particularly thorny that I am trying to figure out, a great front-to-back book + video tutorial will get me up to speed fast.

Hope that helps.

Fantasy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 13, 2018
Liked your way of learning stuff!
The best way to learn programming is to pick a project and try to solve it in code.

That's how I learned the most, and I've heard several other people (e.g. the Collison brothers who founded Stripe) say the same.

Udemy and Treehouse are fantastic resources; but don't take courses just to take courses.

Start with a project or a problem. Don't worry about it making money. Then, just get to work on programming it.

I did an engineering degree for 4 years, coding every day, and didn't learn nearly as much until I needed to program a microscope to automate data collection, program a script to analyze it, and work on my first web app product ideas (first was a two sided marketplace for locally sourced food, the second was a tool to create teaching activities for pre-schoolers).

While those two products of mine were not successful or even commercially viable, they gave me a frame around which to think – a problem to solve.

You will not learn coding by trying to memorize or understand all the nuances of a language or boolean logic. What will teach you to code is actually solving problems with code.

Once you have a project you are working on, the courses on Udemy, Treehouse, YouTube, etc. will have a LOT more context. I personally rarely take video courses because they are so much slower for me now than just reading through articles and books. But when something is particularly thorny that I am trying to figure out, a great front-to-back book + video tutorial will get me up to speed fast.

Hope that helps

Jacob_Losco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Hope that helps.

It helps a lot. Thanks for responding!

D

Deleted74338

Treehouse is ok but costs a lot of money and on Udemy there are lots of bad courses although there are a few good ones too. If you are serious about learning Web Development you should check out The Odin Project, it is probably the best resource out there, you will build lots of projects if you dedicate your time to it. They also have a very active discord community, join their discord and try it out, you surely won't regret it.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Join some open source project. Courses can only get you up to some level, then you need real work to level up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.