The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have a hobby? Find problems in it and fix it..Like I did

A post of a ranting nature...

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Figured I'd talk for a little about something I've done and share my humble opinions and workflow. Maybe it'll help.

I run an Aquaponics System. For those of you who aren't familiar it involves a large fish tank (mine is 300 gallons), a water pump, and a grow bed. I pump the fish water from the tank into the grow-bed which I have plants growing in. Fish make Ammonia which turns into Nitrites which then turns into Nitrates. Plants love Nitrates and use them all up as fertilizers. As a result the water is filtered and a simple bell-siphon drops the fresh water right back into the fish tank. This makes for happy fish (Tilapia in my case) and big happy plants (large variety of veggies and fruits).

So whats my point? It has problems...And they make myself and the many thousands and thousands of other Aquaponics owners very upset... Gardens have pests... And this garden is no different... Lots and lots of mean bugs that damage your crops. Not good. Guess what else isn't good. Using pesticides. It will kill the fish. None of the products available can be used in an Aquaponics environment without risking all of your fish. So the best solution? Rip out all of your plants. Wait for the pests to die. Re-plant everything. Hope they don't come back. This method sucks. I would know because I've had to do it twice. That angers me.

So there's a big problem that needs fixing:

I researched MSDS, Aquatic life groups, I asked Biology friends, Chemist friends, searched forums, articles, etc, and came up with an idea to fix the problem.

HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!
Once I had the idea figured out did I start a website? NO!!
Did I get a business License??? NO!!!
Did I make business cards and plaster it with CEO,PRESIDENT,FOUNDER?? NO!!!
Did I look for an Angel Investor, VC, Business Partner? NOPE.
I didn't even pick out a name!!!!!!
I made and tested my product

I didn't spend $50 bucks here on a Wordpress template. I didn't throw $40 at this or that. I didn't give $100 to Kinkos to make business cards. I didn't spend $80 on a business license. Didn't get my EIN set up...

I went to the store and bought ingredients and supplies necessary to make and test my product, and all I did was make and test my product until it worked.

This whole rant is simply to explain that I have thrown so much money at crap for the sake of looking successful. I've wasted THOUSANDS of dollars on stupid, dumb, idiotic, POINTLESS processes.

Find a need. Create a product that fixes the problem. See if people want it. See if it sells. Then focus more on the other stuff.

Now that my product is made, I picked a name. I've made a landing page and started collecting interest. I've started setting up talks with business owners to start carrying the product. I've had a friend do my graphics and labels. All of this has been free. I'm still not spending money. I want to make money. Not spend it. Do the same please.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
...And they make myself and the many thousands and thousands of other Aquaponics owners very upset

I researched MSDS, Aquatic life groups, I asked Biology friends, Chemist friends, searched forums, articles, etc, and came up with an idea to fix the problem.

Make the product first. See if people want it. See if it sells. Then focus more on the other stuff.

I get what your trying to say. But you do realize that the FIRST step you did is actually find a need that thousands of people wanted a solution for (I'm assuming on related forums etc...).

If on the other hand, someone just sat in their room building a product thinking that other people needed it, that wouldn't make sense.

You should reword your post to try and get your real message across.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Fixed the order of my wording for you ;) The point is stop acting and start doing. I was speaking generally of things that are important.. Not the order in which you should complete said actions.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Great post! Thanks.
Rep transfered

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Great post! Lately I've been focusing myself on my hobby and invested lots of time in it (and way less in searching for a niche etc.), and by being involved I've found many problems/issues rising to the surface... Which I didn't know before, because I wasn't as involved as I am now.

The thing is, now I have to choose the idea I can test/put my energy in.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
How is your process going?
How is the interest in your product?

Curious to see where you are at now. Hoping you have some very positives update to share :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.