Derek Edwards
New Contributor
- Joined
- Oct 22, 2014
- Messages
- 7
Rep Bank
$125
$125
User Power: 314%
I had this professor back in my college years. He was very smart, but his classes were boring. One day, I decided to pick his brain, see what he knew in life he might of done differently or offer just some good general knowledge. At the time, I was studying software engineering. I had done a presentation on version control software and we sat down afterwards wanting to discuss some stuff he noticed I could of done better.
Of course, one thing lead to another and we came to talking about careers. After talking for an hour about his life. He mentioned things that stuck out.
He told me, "Derek, if you want to be successful, work your a$$ off learning and solving problems." "Never allow to give up your stones and let them be thrown at you." "If you have deadlines, finish them, I don't care how long you spend on it, because it's your a$$ on the line if something goes wrong" "You're alone in this world, no one is going to guide you in life, there is no step-by-step process, it's a learning curve." "If you are serious about software engineering, well I would recommend going and applying to bigger companies, you have more room to extend and move up."
"And never EVER settle for mediocracy, be the best you can be."
I was expecting some BS convo on how I should find a good job and make descent money that I can live on, but this stuff to come out of his mouth, man, and here I thought he was a boring person. He was like, if you ever need advice or anything else, come find me, I'm always up to sharing my experiences with students.
And you know, that day I set out to learn shit on my own. I went onto learning C++ by myself and studied it to death and wrote it. I made many errors, but never gave up. There were days I just wanted to give up and just hire someone to do it for me, but what would that teach me? I needed to be bull. I needed a target and I needed to focus on it with precision.
The ones who talk too much never go far in their goals, but the ones who keep silent are the ones who take the necessary steps in achieving success.
If you are an entrepreneur, be good at what you do, and then set out to solve problems. If you are working in the corporate world like me, learn everything you can in your company, doesn't matter what it is, absorb the knowledge, it won't hurt. In this way, you know how things work. Knowledge is power ladies and gentlemen, utilize it.
Of course, one thing lead to another and we came to talking about careers. After talking for an hour about his life. He mentioned things that stuck out.
He told me, "Derek, if you want to be successful, work your a$$ off learning and solving problems." "Never allow to give up your stones and let them be thrown at you." "If you have deadlines, finish them, I don't care how long you spend on it, because it's your a$$ on the line if something goes wrong" "You're alone in this world, no one is going to guide you in life, there is no step-by-step process, it's a learning curve." "If you are serious about software engineering, well I would recommend going and applying to bigger companies, you have more room to extend and move up."
"And never EVER settle for mediocracy, be the best you can be."
I was expecting some BS convo on how I should find a good job and make descent money that I can live on, but this stuff to come out of his mouth, man, and here I thought he was a boring person. He was like, if you ever need advice or anything else, come find me, I'm always up to sharing my experiences with students.
And you know, that day I set out to learn shit on my own. I went onto learning C++ by myself and studied it to death and wrote it. I made many errors, but never gave up. There were days I just wanted to give up and just hire someone to do it for me, but what would that teach me? I needed to be bull. I needed a target and I needed to focus on it with precision.
The ones who talk too much never go far in their goals, but the ones who keep silent are the ones who take the necessary steps in achieving success.
If you are an entrepreneur, be good at what you do, and then set out to solve problems. If you are working in the corporate world like me, learn everything you can in your company, doesn't matter what it is, absorb the knowledge, it won't hurt. In this way, you know how things work. Knowledge is power ladies and gentlemen, utilize it.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
