The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hacker looking to start a business following CENTS

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
Hello there dear Fastlaners,

My brother gave me MFL as a Christmas present, and it really opened my eyes! (although it was a bit provocatively written)

Before reading it I was not fully on slowlane either, but I did have some hopes for striking it through index funds. After reading I did some self-examination, and found that I was just playing it safe, while dreaming of something I would not likely achieve through them (index funds).

Therefore I decided to pursue a business that follows CENTS, and to join here to have some company while doing it!

I am a 28yo hacker / software engineer. I've worked 5 years as a penetration tester and security engineer. Last year I started my own business doing penetration testing as a freelancer, but quickly learned that it merely keeps the lights on (passion career). I also did contractor work as a DevOps engineer, which paid a lot better and on ongoing basis but it ate all my time and energy. Thus the desire for CENTS-following business.

Currently I have no projects in the pipeline, and decided to take some time off to do brainstorming and product development.

I am hoping to be able to help you fellow fastlaners with my topics of expertise, while learning other things myself and staying motivated in this long journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Biggest obstacle to a Fastlane is lack of skills and domain knowledge. Sounds like you have that already, congrats!

Welcome aboard.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 18, 2022

My brother gave me MFL as a Christmas present, and it really opened my eyes! (although it was a bit provocatively written)

Before reading it I was not fully on slowlane either, but I did have some hopes for striking it through index funds. After reading I did some self-examination, and found that I was just playing it safe, while dreaming of something I would not likely achieve through them (index funds).

Therefore I decided to pursue a business that follows CENTS, and to join here to have some company while doing it!

I am a 28yo hacker / software engineer. I've worked 5 years as a penetration tester and security engineer. Last year I started my own business doing penetration testing as a freelancer, but quickly learned that it merely keeps the lights on (passion career). I also did contractor work as a DevOps engineer, which paid a lot better and on ongoing basis but it ate all my time and energy. Thus the desire for CENTS-following business.

Currently I have no projects in the pipeline, and decided to take some time off to do brainstorming and product development.

I am hoping to be able to help you fellow fastlaners with my topics of expertise, while learning other things myself and staying motivated in this long journey.
Web developer here and I can say, without a doubt in my mind, DevOps is one of the greatest skills to have right now. Even if it's a "passion" of yours, with enough business knowledge, you can turn your passion into a profitable freelance/business.

ChatGPT cannot replace a DevOps team ;-).

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022

"I am hoping to be able to help you fellow fastlaners with my topics of expertise, while learning other things myself and staying motivated in this long journey."

Recen hacks of LastPass, Norton, PayPal, etc. Norton LifeLock says thousands of customer accounts breached

present a unique business opportunity to experts with skills sets you have.

Quantum computers also create security problems for technologies based on encryption.
China's new quantum code-breaking algorithm raises concerns in the US

If you will offer simple and reliable solutions to the current and future problems you will get your faslane.

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
"I am hoping to be able to help you fellow fastlaners with my topics of expertise, while learning other things myself and staying motivated in this long journey."

Recen hacks of LastPass, Norton, PayPal, etc. Norton LifeLock says thousands of customer accounts breached

present a unique business opportunity to experts with skills sets you have.

Quantum computers also create security problems for technologies based on encryption.
China's new quantum code-breaking algorithm raises concerns in the US

If you will offer simple and reliable solutions to the current and future problems you will get your faslane.
Thanks for the links.

Credential stuffing and misc developer account compromises are most often a result of laziness on the part of the compromised. There is already a very effective and universal countermeasure to it: two factor authentication. And that space is dominated by the big players. The challenge is to get users to adopt these measures as paypal, and as Lastpass force developers to use them.

There is no such thing as perfect security if one wants to operate, and the sad truth in many businesses is that many things are not worth fixing.

As for the quantum code-breaking, resistant measures do exist already. They are just not standards yet. The standards in use are chosen in workgroups. But for now there have not been need to start using them.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Thanks for the links.

Credential stuffing and misc developer account compromises are most often a result of laziness on the part of the compromised. There is already a very effective and universal countermeasure to it: two factor authentication. And that space is dominated by the big players. The challenge is to get users to adopt these measures as paypal, and as Lastpass force developers to use them.

There is no such thing as perfect security if one wants to operate, and the sad truth in many businesses is that many things are not worth fixing.

As for the quantum code-breaking, resistant measures do exist already. They are just not standards yet. The standards in use are chosen in workgroups. But for now there have not been need to start using them.
"There is already a very effective and universal countermeasure to it: two factor authentication."

2FA can be broken without significant efforts. It is less secure than generated on demand, dynamical, stateless passwords.

"As for the quantum code-breaking, resistant measures do exist already."

Two post quantum standards proposed to NIST were broken already.

Quantum Encryption Replacement Algorithm Hacked by AI
https://www.publish0x.com/cybersecu...on-replacement-algorithm-hacked-by-ai-xkpwkmk

‘Post-Quantum’ Cryptography Scheme Is Cracked on a Laptop
‘Post-Quantum’ Cryptography Scheme Is Cracked on a Laptop | Quanta Magazine

If post-quantum cryptography can be cracked how secure are your passwords?

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
"There is already a very effective and universal countermeasure to it: two factor authentication."

2FA can be broken without significant efforts. It is less secure than generated on demand, dynamical, stateless passwords.

"As for the quantum code-breaking, resistant measures do exist already."

Two post quantum standards proposed to NIST were broken already.

Quantum Encryption Replacement Algorithm Hacked by AI
https://www.publish0x.com/cybersecu...on-replacement-algorithm-hacked-by-ai-xkpwkmk

‘Post-Quantum’ Cryptography Scheme Is Cracked on a Laptop
‘Post-Quantum’ Cryptography Scheme Is Cracked on a Laptop | Quanta Magazine

If post-quantum cryptography can be cracked how secure are your passwords?
Cybersecurity news are filled with pieces with clickbaity titles and content that spread FUD unfortunately.
Not all 2fa are created equal. Look up FIDO and FIDO2 for the future of phishing resistant authentication.

In the end everything can be hacked one way or another. But the point is to keep it too expensive to be practical for an attacker that might be interested in attacking you.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jul 30, 2019
Hello @Creator and welcome to TFF

I know very little of security engineering but I think the question is how to market this skill intelligently

I have the feeling that evident options like bug hunting/ethical hacker will prove to be a waste of time (because ultra competitive and passion-oriented like you said)

Personally I will go to recurring and automatable jobs, in security maintenance, to companies that you feel they will pay you well for not having to worry about this problem

The idea is to leverage something easy for you, and vital for the client

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
Hello @Creator and welcome to TFF

I know very little of security engineering but I think the question is how to market this skill intelligently

I have the feeling that evident options like bug hunting/ethical hacker will prove to be a waste of time (because ultra competitive and passion-oriented like you said)

Personally I will go to recurring and automatable jobs, in security maintenance, to companies that you feel they will pay you well for not having to worry about this problem

The idea is to leverage something easy for you, and vital for the client
Thank you! You got it very right.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Cybersecurity news are filled with pieces with clickbaity titles and content that spread FUD unfortunately.
Not all 2fa are created equal. Look up FIDO and FIDO2 for the future of phishing resistant authentication.

In the end everything can be hacked one way or another. But the point is to keep it too expensive to be practical for an attacker that might be interested in attacking you.
If something practically can not be hacked during a lifetime, this means it is practically unhackable.

Here is one example.

https://www.publish0x.com/simple-so...ate-unhackable-passwords-xeenglp?a=pnelxGQjeK

I show you opportunities to explore, but you give me excuses to not explore. This is not the fastlane approach.

“To create luck, engage in processes so probabilities move from NOTHING to SOMETHING”

p.53 The Millionaire Fastlane . MJ DeMarco

“I’d rather live in regret of failure than in regret of never trying”

p.95 The Millionaire Fastlane . MJ DeMarco

Last edited:

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
If something practically can not be hacked during a lifetime, this means it is practically unhackable.

Here is one example.

https://www.publish0x.com/simple-so...ate-unhackable-passwords-xeenglp?a=pnelxGQjeK

I show you opportunities to explore, but you give me excuses to not explore. This is not a fastline approach.

“To create luck, engage in processes so probabilities move from NOTHING to SOMETHING”

p.93 The Millionaire Fastlane . MJ DeMarco

“I’d rather live in regret of failure than in regret of never trying”

p.95 The Millionaire Fastlane . MJ DeMarco
I get it, you are trying to help me. Big thanks for that!

You might be right about my excuses not to explore, but the links you provide (especially the publish0x) make me feel you are trolling.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
I get it, you are trying to help me. Big thanks for that!

You might be right about my excuses not to explore, but the links you provide (especially the publish0x) make me feel you are trolling.
The links I provided point to information you do not have. If it hurts your feeling then you have a big problem with your ego. Put some efforts to learn how to control your EGO.

NielsA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 26, 2023
Hello I am Penetration tester (23 years old) and I also recently started my own freelancing/contracting business. I recently signed my first contract as a freelancer for an amount I could not turn down. Are there any other tips you guys can give me to make my business as big as possible. I am also running Ads to see if that can become something

Creator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 25, 2023
Hello I am Penetration tester (23 years old) and I also recently started my own freelancing/contracting business. I recently signed my first contract as a freelancer for an amount I could not turn down. Are there any other tips you guys can give me to make my business as big as possible. I am also running Ads to see if that can become something
Congratulations on your first contract and taking the first step to become entrepreneur!

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022

"Are there any other tips you guys can give me"

As a contractor your trade you time for money, but the goal of the fastlane is to disconnect your time from your income. Here are some ideas to think about.

Look for problems that your employers have. For example, many use password managers, which keep their passwords in encrypted files. First of all, it violates the 1st commandment of CENTS (it gives control for all accounts to a third party). Secondly, it is a big security risk, because these encrypted files can be hacked, damaged, stolen, confiscated, broken, etc. Thirdly, modern quantum computers soon will be able (some researchers claim they can do it today) to break encryption.

Find solutions to the problems. It may be your own products/services or products/services of others. If it is not your product/service then make agreements with others to have commissions from facilitated sales. In this way you will have two income streams. The first stream depends on your time, but the second stream does not depend on your time. When the second stream will be large enough to have a comfortable life style you can stop working (trade your time for money).

Last edited:

NielsA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 26, 2023
"Are there any other tips you guys can give me"

As a contractor you trade you time for money, but the goal of the fastlane is to disconnect your time from your income. Here are some ideas to think about.

Look for problems that your employers have. For example, many use password managers, which keeps their passwords in encrypted files. First of all, it violates the 1st commandment of CENTS (it gives control for all accounts to a third party). Secondly, it is a big security risk, because these encrypted files can be hacked, damaged, stolen, confiscated, broken, etc. Thirdly, modern quantum computers soon will be able (some researchers claim they can do it today) to break encryption.

Find solutions to the problems. It may be your own products/services or products/services of others. If it is not your product/service then make agreements with others to have commissions from facilitated sales. In this way you will have two income streams. The first stream depends on your time, but the second does not depend on your time. When the second stream will be large enough to have a comfortable life style you can stop work (trade your time for money).
Thank you for this valuable tip! I will be getting to work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...