The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GroupOn (GRPN) Down 15% today. 3rd double digital loss in a row

Anything related to investing, including crypto

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Anyone else watching this monster try to find a base? It's a gold mine at the moment.

Edit: 3rd double digit loss in a row.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
And it is going to keep going down..

I have said this before, him not taking googles offer will go down as the biggest blunder in biz history.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Greed can be such a crazy thing. I wouldnt have even thought about the Google offer. It would have been taken as soon as the attorney got done looking it over. Just nuts to turn the offer down.

If becoming a billionaire isnt enough for you then I dont know what to say. Wasnt Google even offering them 800 mil if the deal fell through? Hell even that I would have taken. For the simple fact that you dont know what tomorrow brings, like Groupon is finding out. If I have a sure 800 mil I take that and dont look back. Whatever they end up with out of that sum would be enough to live a great lifestyle for the rest of their days unless they are unbelievable poor at money management.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
7 Reason why Groupon's IPO is a bad deal

Groupon is very unprofitable and won't be in the near future. (For all of 2010, its loss was $414 million.)
Groupon's Founders and preferred stock holders have already cashed in to the tune of $870-$930 million from anunprofitable company.
Groupon's Accounting does not meet the standards GAAP ("Generally Accepted Accounting Principles").
Groupon's Margins will decline from competition from Facebook and Google.
Groupon has been hyped so much it smells like the dotcom bubble all over again.
Bad Timing the Current Market environment is not favorable for IPO now.
If it goes down you will lose the trust of your clients you recommend it to. (Yeah right more like when).

(Stolen from Hubert Sentars from trade the markets)

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I love it. This stock will be volatile for months to come.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
My friend has a medspa and she is cleaning up w/ groupon, living social etc.... They reduce their cut down to 20% from 50%. Too many are now out there and are competing for biz. She has to pay them once, to bring her new customers. Then she markets to the customers for repeat visits and keeps 100% after first visit. She is jammed. Just a good type of biz that fits that program.

She is tired of dealing w/ several reps, I'd think there would be a good oppty for an aggregation site that lists all the deals so consumers get one email a day and businesses could deal w/ one deal broker that works w/ all the coupon sites. As I understand it, groupon won't deal w/ any aggregators at present.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Groupon is great for any business with "softcosts". It's why the model works so well for sites like appsumo (tech deal site) however the majority of businesses have "hardcosts" and groupon is terrible for them. I think groupon is worth serious coin but no where near 10 billion dollars imho. I mean 10 billion dollars is an insane amount of money, and groupon is still unprofitable.

Btw I agree that aggregators could clean up atm.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.