The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings from Cork, Ireland

Neil Shannon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Dec 30, 2017
Ireland
Hello everybody,
I've never done this sort of thing before so apologies if I ramble around a bit.

I'm 38, married, lovely wife, 3 great boys, great family, neighbours, job, work colleagues, house, financially comfortable but won't be free for 25 years once the house is paid for!

How did I get here?

I scraped through college back in 2002 with a degree in Manufacturing Eng. (hot course to do back then) When I graduated I started my own stonemasonry company as I had worked building walls and houses during college vacations.
I employed 6 masons up until 2009. The company did ok but it was merely a job disguised as a business. I wasn't strategic about pricing, incentivising productivity, or scaling.
I did however provide a good product so we were always busy, in fact the company is still operating today with 2 employees, however I've no plans to try and scale the company as it would require 100s of employees to give me the potential returns that are available via an e-business. The company earns me about 10k per year with little supervision.

I also play music in bars which earns me a few bucks too, it's helpful for vacation money.

In 2010 I went back to college and did a diploma in software development, I work now as a mid-level engineer in a small software company. it's a great company where I'm growing and learning every day. It has given me the tools to re-assess my failings and has inspired me to learn more, to strive for better.
There's only one problem.... I've no control.
I'm now in the twilight zone that is the scripted approach to life.
Work hard, get promoted, add money to your 401k retire and die. it's the fastlane to the cemetary.

Over the past year I've started to examine my own shortcomings. I've starting reading as much as possible to improve my situation. The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted are two of the best books I've read. Many others have sold me bullshit advice repackaged over and over again. I laughed out load when MJ dissed people that bought 35 dollar WordPress themes and expected millions to roll in - I've been that guy
I've spent days trawling Alibaba for the next greatest widget that I can import and sell for a fortune.
I have great ideas but I haven't had the balls or the determination to put the shoulder to the wheel and make them a reality.

I know the advantages of running your own business, the first time I did it without leveraging the boundless knowledge that was at my fingertips.

This time I'm armed with the knowledge that adding value trumps everything. I've been paralysed by inaction.

I have no excuse, I've made enough of them over the years, I'm going to be a success, I now have the tools to do it. I just need to execute.

I must do better, if not for me then for my boys.

Anyway rant over feel free to contact me if I can help you in any way.

All the best

Neil

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Irish Guy

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 1, 2015
Good first step finding this place, I'd recommend an INSIDERS susscription once you've read most of the gold threads on the outside

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
@Neil Shannon Welcome to the forum. Your situation isn't unlike my own...except I'm 47. Oh...if only I could have those 9 years back. You've come to the right place to "surround yourself" with like minded people after an exodus from the scripted life.

Better late than never as they say. I hope to see some stories of your successes in the future.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Hey Neil, greetings from a fellow Irishman.

How have things been going for you?

Neil Shannon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Dec 30, 2017
Ireland
Hi Neil...Welcome...
Thanks Timmy,
Apologies for the late reply, after a year out attempting a startup, then doing a H-Dip in Coaching, am back on the Fastlane Forum.
Am back working on a side project so I'll be back on here looking for inspiration!!
On a side note, this site needs notifications - I wasn't ignoring anyone!!

Neil Shannon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Dec 30, 2017
Ireland
Hey Neil, greetings from a fellow Irishman.

How have things been going for you?
Apologies for the late reply, after a year out attempting a startup, then doing a H-Dip in Coaching, am back on the Fastlane Forum.
Am back working on a side project so I'll be back on here looking for inspiration!!
On a side note, this site needs notifications - I wasn't ignoring anyone!!

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Hey Neil, welcome back! What did your start up involve and did it succeed or fail?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...