The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got An Awesome Idea? Great, Now STFU and Act.

Idea threads

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
By request, here is video I did on the good old "Idea VS Execution" topic ... actually, the video is more of a "RANT" and is rated R for use of language toward the end of the video.

The lighting is kinda screwy, so I'm sorry for that (still figuring out vid lighting thing)

I Had That Idea! Oh Yea? STFU! | Fastlane Entrepreneurs

As always, if you like plz share, tweet, comment, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Great video, and nice waterfall. :thumbsup:

Instead of using NDA's and lawyers, realize that the sheer amount of work required to make an idea into a successful business is more than enough to dissuade people from 'copying' you.

Instead of hiding in a shell and preventing people from truly helping you, sharing your idea will give you the best possible chance to get great advice. Especially on a forum like this.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
This is a classic. :notworthy:

"I had that idea"....you know what MJ? STFU!

Must watch and great message!

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
I must agree.
I get sick of hearing of all the great ideas those around me have, but when I tell them to stop talking about it and do something................nothing happens. I get funny looks. They get defensive. The best is "Where do I start?".....the answer....ANYWHERE! Just do it.
Yes, STFU and DO something, even if you fail, you will at least know you tried.

BrandonAg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Nov 20, 2010
Modesto, CA
Love it MJ. Well said!

The reason your lighting is a little screwy is because your camera is trying to compensate for that beautifully lit backyard / view of the mountains in the background. Try recording at a different time of day when there isn't a strong back light back there.

Looking forward to more videos!

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
"Oh, Hai Gaiz! I have an idea..."

raspberrybf4.gif

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
That is pretty funny. But you know, can't get too worked up over the idea thing. It's just one of those newbie things that'll always be around. You will see this happen in creative works of all sorts, I believe. At least, I used to see it here and there on indie forums.

"Hey! I have this awesome idea for a game! It's so good, I can't tell anyone, so how do I pitch it to Blizzard or Squaresoft?!"

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's the idea that has the value. Sometimes I even slip back into that type of thinking myself... Then I go off to Idea Hoarders Anonymous for three months of rehab.

I haven't gotten a chance to get the book yet. But if there isn't something in there to cover it already, there could be plenty of room to make something to address the needs of IHA members. Yeah, you guys can take that idea and run with it, I don't plan to pick it myself.

A

Anon3587x

I decided that sort of business wasn't for me. It was one of those WTF moments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Great video! I love the scenery in the background. I especially like how you pointed out that if you sit on an idea and do other things, don't be upset when you see that someone else has successfully executed the idea years later because they chose to take action while you didn't. I ought to email Eric Leebow of Freezecrowd with a link to this video, lmao!

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Reminds me of
"talk is cheap"
"actions speak louder than words"
"if you can talk the talk, you better be able to walk the walk"

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
This is spot on.

Short-term comfort vs. long-term gains. The choice is yours to make.

I only wish our elected government officials (and voters) could figure this out.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
Gotta love the genuine ranting at the beginning, but you are right. Just yesterday I talked to a former business partner and I was asking him if he was planning any new ventures and his reply was:

"Yes, I do - something that has to do with finance. But you don't really expect me to tell you or anyone else about what I am going to do?"

Could not really take him serious after that anymore. Yet I used to be exactly like this before I came to the Fastlane Forums. But fortunately you, MJ - and many others have changed my mind very quickly. Not just in this aspect but in many more.

alainn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Sep 6, 2010
Man... My younger brother and I have had a shitload of great ideas and they all came to market a few years later and every time we though: "I had that idea!". I just facebooked him and told him to STFU! and check out your video. shared the video on facebook to everyone and tweeted it too.

great video.

my brother had this idea for these digital picture frames years and years ago... you know those picture frames you can get to have around your house that display digital pictures... I didnt take him or his idea seriously... he was still so young and I didn't think it could man. Man, was I wrong. Since the day that hit the market, I looked at my brother and his ideas differently. I take them very seriously now.

believe in others and their ideas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.