The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Golf Putting Aid

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Your thoughts on our product?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
Hey all,

I have been maintaining my progress thread in the insiders section for the past few months and wanted to widen the net on feedback. We are nearing the launch of our kickstarter and wanted to share our project preview with the community as a whole. Be gentle :) but we are open to any feedback that you may have.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231913128/1001292387?token=24e67ede

Preview link will only be open for a few more days until we start to lock down our launch date.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I think you'll want to just go to a local golf course, tell them what you're doing, ask them permission to use the demos on their practice green and approach other people with other demo units. Say "I've invented something, I was just wondering if you would mind trying it out and telling me what you think." Let them try it, gather feed back, and either use their raving testimonials on the kickstarter, or refine the product based on their feedback.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Does the video show how to use this? Could not get the video to run. I am assuming that it is fairly straight forward to setup and use. there should be more choices on the survey. I would vote as a "like". What will the cost be?

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Yep setup is straightforward pick your line and secure to ground with tees forming a swing gate.

Via kickstarter inclusive of shipping limited quantities for 20 normal retail 30 so outside ks reg retail is 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I actually like it the more I think about it from a design and portability perspective. I think you absolutely need to get some user testimonials about how their golf game improved. You also need a PGA pro (even just the local PGA-affiliated instructor) to endorse it in the video, while holding your product. Give them some sort of incentive if needed. In the video, I'd compare it directly to your competition, which is simply putting another club down along the swing path. Show why existing solutions don't work as well. Also show putting it in and pulling it out of a standard golf bag to demonstrate the portability. The video is a little too repetitive from a visual perspective.

Running a kickstarter successfully is a serious endeavor. You need to have all your ducks in a row, including a full court press strategy, social media marketing, Youtube channel with multiple videos up, etc.

There is a book written by AndrewNC on how to run a successful kickstarter campaign. I think the link is in his signature.

Also, please don't let a fear of talking to people and facing rejection stop you from handing this out to real people you've never met and getting real feedback, especially before you do anything on kickstarter. I know the impulse is to just put stuff all online and let things happen, but unfortunately the experienced folks here will tell you that's not how it works. It always starts and ends with real, offline interactions with real people.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks @throttleforward all great info and appreciated input.

We agree on the endorsement of training pros and aim to have such testimonials prior to launch.

I can see the video being repetitive, that is partly by design, but if it would be a turn off to someone on the fence about buying it warrants a revisit.

I have our hitlist assembled for press and have been doing pre marketing for a while now. we have some decent targeted social deployment ready and waiting for our word to blast. I'll certainly check out the book by @AndrewNC

Good thing is I am in sales and marketing so I have no issue talking to people about our product. And the product is at a point that we are actually proud of it so no shame in handing it to people and asking for input.

Of course we are working on our kickstarter strategy and that is the ultimate goal of this feedback loop. We plan to move forward with launch but have contingency plans if it were to fall flat. We are in keep it moving forward mode! Again thanks this is all very valuable input and is central to our daily discussions.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Awesome man - looks like you have things thought through. Keep pushing! There are some awesome resources on here for folks who are making physical products.

Looking forward to seeing you blow your kickstarter goals out of the water!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'll buy one because I think it looks like something that will actually help. So many stupid golf aids out there, simple is better. As with any golf aid, whether it is shit or not, the golfing Asians will flock to it.

China will be a great place to build it and Amazon will be a great place to sell it. I'd shoot to have it be a more upscale item, sold in pro shops kind of like titleist. Also you could try a licensing agreement with a well known manufacturer like Titleist, taylormade, calaway....

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
This is awesome man, your goal will be blown away. I'm trash at golf but as he said, there are demographics that will eat it up.

Cool to see another Kickstarter come from here! I'll definitely support :rockon:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I'll buy one because I think it looks like something that will actually help. So many stupid golf aids out there, simple is better. As with any golf aid, whether it is shit or not, the golfing Asians will flock to it.

China will be a great place to build it and Amazon will be a great place to sell it. I'd shoot to have it be a more upscale item, sold in pro shops kind of like titleist. Also you could try a licensing agreement with a well known manufacturer like Titleist, taylormade, calaway....
How huge-a paying customer! Largest hurdle=crushed!

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Our target retail is $25 outside of kickstarter. During our campaign we will have a limited quantity for $20 including shipping and then a non limited tier at $30 including shipping, some other options a little more expensive including a kickstarter green one and a I need it now tier that includes one of our aluminum prototypes shipped as soon as it funds.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Love the responses guys, validates a lot of the work we have put in and has us ready to push HARD!

Oh and US Patent Pending for real now - forms are finally filed and fees paid- what a pain in the arse.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I passed the kickstarter page along to a friend who is an avid golfer. Here was her response:

"Thank you for sharing this device with me. Personally, I don't use many training devices, I probably should it might improve my game. Many times training devices (inexpensive ones) are bundled with other larger purchases, like clubs.

The plus of this device is its size; it can be stored in the golf bag. It has potential. There are other similar devices that are longer, box shaped, rail like; so this is different.

Your friend my want to consider selling his idea to a company that makes other training aids."

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
I am an avid golfer and it is something I would definitely consider buying. Like throttleforward's friend mentioned, I like that I can easily fit it into my golf bag and have it with me if I decide to head to the putting green. I think $19.99 might be a little more appealing at retail, but $25 isn't too far off. For the Kickstarter, look into advertising on Golfwrx.com or at leasting posting in the forum. I feel like this kind of product will do best though in stores. If you could come up with some very easy to understand packaging with the pieces in side by side alignment and a golf ball image in the middle it could become an impulse buy near the cash register. Once you get some momentum you should try to head to the PGA merchandise show in January and meet with retail buyers.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
If you could come up with some very easy to understand packaging with the pieces in side by side alignment and a golf ball image in the middle it could become an impulse buy near the cash register.

This is a great suggestion. Also, the paint brush cover's success in scaling according to the thead could largely be traced back their successful trade show appearance - the results of which you can watch tonight on ABC at 9.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
I should also add that I really like that this product isn't a gimmick. Putting alignment is used by most of the pros during practice, here is a video of Tiger using two tees to do it

I think you should push to get this used by at least one player, whether it be PGA, web.com or even the hooters tour. I bet another player would ask about it and it could snowball from there. Also, try to get a few AJGA or IJGT players to take it to a tournament. Everyone picks up on that stuff on the junior tours.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Also consider approaching golf coaches from local high schools and colleges. Do it from the standpoint of conducting a study on the efficacy of this training device vs. a control group (either another training method or no method).

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Also I'd consider creating a premium bundled package, containing the rails, a gate, and access to an instructional video online teaching how to use the devices to improve putting accuracy.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
So I got to checkout the Tiba putting aid last night, albeit on my carpet. First impression was the simplicity of the design, and its portable enough that I could keep it in my golf bag, and it wouldn't take up too much room or weigh the bag down. The alignment rails really help in giving immediate feedback and just for the hour or so I played around with it, Im already feeling more confident in my putting. Additionally I try and practice square to square, so just turning both sides around gives that straight runway effect. Overall awesome product

vshyl4.png

Last edited:

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Great discussion guys sorry I haven't chimed in. I've taken notes and will be discussing each of the points in our nightly discussion.

@StartupsRFun glad it got there! Let's talk this weekend after the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Don't want to criticize but having to put tees into the green may be limiting. Since going to soft spikes, higher end courses especially, do not like holes in their greens...especially the putting green...hence the tees may be an issue. I would shop it around as suggested and ask a few pros if this would be a problem at their course.

Perhaps design it where you can use a ball-marker instead, or maybe it comes with a couple of small plastic spikes already on the bottom...that way you can use it on carpet also?

Last edited:

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Don't want to criticize but having to put tees into the green may limit your market. Since going to soft spikes, higher end courses especially, do not wants holes in their greens...hence the tees will probably be an issue.

I've played at a lot of high end courses, I don't think anyone would either notice or care. Using tees as alignment aids on the putting green is pretty common and does absolutely nothing to the turf. It's not much different than using a ball mark with a peg on the bottom.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I've played at a lot of high end courses, I don't think anyone would either notice or care. Using tees as alignment aids on the putting green is pretty common and does absolutely nothing to the turf. It's not much different than using a ball mark with a peg on the bottom.

Yeah I have played a round or two myself...you may be right...if no one cares then I guess no big deal.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Yeah I have played a round or two myself...you may be right...if no one cares then I guess no big deal.

You're definitely right about metal spikes, someone would call you out on that. I never got to wear a pair unfortunately, I would like to give them a try.

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
Being an avid golfer and a terrible putter, I can say that this does look like it would be a good product and something I may be interested in purchasing.

I was on a high school golf team and I think my coach would definitely have been interested in something like that. Before a match, we would just sit on the putting green for like an hour waiting to tee off, so that could definitely be used. No one really cares about putting tees into the green and some people just use tees as ball markers.

My problem is definitely not being on the same line every time, and that would definitely correct that.

Do you think the final retail price is going to be $9.99?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.