The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goal Setting is a Process

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was recently asked how I set my goals for the year. I wrote out an email and thought it would be interesting to post my thought process and why I think that many people set goals the wrong way.

I don't think the goals themselves motivate me. I've always been the type of person who makes a decision only when committed. I think most people state their goal just to say they have a goal.

In 2011 I made a goal of getting a Ferrari. What everyone saw was what MJ would call the "event" of setting a goal. I do have a process before the even so here it is.

First, I wouldn't make a goal of getting a Ferrari if I really didn't want one. To me, this was a goal that would motivate me and keep me motivated throughout the year.

Once I decided that I want one, I decided how I would go about getting it. In my case, I had to make $80-$100k more in 2011 in order to make myself feel ok about buying it.

Then I figured out how to get $80-$100k. I knew I had would to open some new stores, increase sales in my current ones. I won't go over those details, but there is a little more planning than just saying, "Ok, I'm going to open new stores and make $100k." That in itself is another whole process of business planning.

It is after all this thinking and planning that I would tell someone that my goal in 2011 is to get a Ferrari. Nobody hears about it until this point. Again, people only hear about the EVENT, the announcement of the goal.

If I went around making goals without thinking and telling everyone, I'll just sound like any dreamer kid who says I'm gonna get a Lambo next year. Haven't we heard that from many mouths before?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I was recently asked how I set my goals for the year. I wrote out an email and thought it would be interesting to post my thought process and why I think that many people set goals the wrong way.

I don't think the goals themselves motivate me. I've always been the type of person who makes a decision only when committed. I think most people state their goal just to say they have a goal.
a
In 2011 I made a goal of getting a Ferrari. What everyone saw was what MJ would call the "event" of setting a goal. I do have a process before the even so here it is.

First, I wouldn't make a goal of getting a Ferrari if I really didn't want one. To me, this was a goal that would motivate me and keep me motivated throughout the year.

Once I decided that I want one, I decided how I would go about getting it. In my case, I had to make $80-$100k more in 2011 in order to make myself feel ok about buying it.

Then I figured out how to get $80-$100k. I knew I had would to open some new stores, increase sales in my current ones. I won't go over those details, but there is a little more planning than just saying, "Ok, I'm going to open new stores and make $100k." That in itself is another whole process of business planning.

It is after all this thinking and planning that I would tell someone that my goal in 2011 is to get a Ferrari. Nobody hears about it until this point. Again, people only hear about the EVENT, the announcement of the goal.

If I went around making goals without thinking and telling everyone, I'll just sound like any dreamer kid who says I'm gonna get a Lambo next year. Haven't we heard that from many mouths before?
That's great so you can have a goal about "you" getting a Ferrari, having passive income cover your expenses, etc.
That positive goal will keep you motivated to work hard at solving a problem/creating value for others.
I love it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.