The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Go Big Or Play It Safe?

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Something I've been contemplating when exploring new business paths is how big should you go?

When I say play it safe I am not implying that starting a more common business structure is safer or less risky, but there are proven models and examples to follow. When going big you're often the one creating the path and so the risk and costs are often much higher. Risk vs reward?

Let's assume you have some steady income and time to pursue as a starting point. You have multiple ideas about different business paths you could take and they all appear to offer value and follow CENTS.

Do you go big on ideas like the next social media site/app or ground breaking technology like Tesla or do you stick to businesses that have proven models like amazon sales, shopify stores, and real estate/etc...

Both have opportunities to make a lot of money but the "big" ideas could transform your life and take value to another level. Those big ideas are also longer to come to fruition, riskier, and require more capital typically..along with luck of course. They also don't always focus on generating revenue as the way to build their audience/popularity.

Curious on other people's thoughts about this. Been contemplating my next steps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Well do you want to go big, or just have a safe income? Answers your question right there

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'd opt for incremental and consistent growth (aka play it safe).

A great book on the topic is Jim Collins' Great By Choice. Read the Chapter about the 20 Mile March. You never want to overexpose yourself, and want to choose methodical, consistent growth over shooting for the stars.

Take Tesla as you mentioned for example.

Elon Musk didn't start with Tesla or SpaceX. He started with Zip2. What's that? An "internet city guide for the newspaper publishing industry".

He made $22 Million from the sale. He wasn't trying to start Tesla. He was trying to start a "boring" company that solved a need and had consistent growth.

Next, he started X.com which turned into Paypal.

Only after that did he start ambitious plans like Tesla.

My point is: start slow, play it safe, and grow your business as much as you can. Once you have the know how, capital, and infrasture to start a Tesla, then go for it.

Success takes time.

G

GuestUser450

There are many threads on this but to address a few points:
how big should you go?
As big as your skillset will take you. You know what you have now, start there and as your abilities grow, so will your expectations.

When going big you're often the one creating the path and so the risk and costs are often much higher.
I'd argue the opposite. There's nothing less risky than investing in yourself. Controlling your own path is the most risk-adverse and cost-efficient.

Do you go big on ideas like the next social media site/app or ground breaking technology like Tesla or do you stick to businesses that have proven models like amazon sales, shopify stores, and real estate/etc...
Well, there's a universe of opportunity in between those examples. You don't have to be (and I'd hope you wouldn't be) a cookie cutter also-ran FBA Alibaba or social-mobile-local app clone. I also wouldn't advise anyone to recreate Tesla their first time out. Elon put every last penny into Tesla and SpaceX while he lived off loans from friends, and this was AFTER he sold Paypal - so do that first, then weigh your options.

The best thing to do when you're "comfortable" is to recognize it as a gift and make yourself uncomfortable. Spend your time learning and testing while using your capital sparingly. Make the market prove your business should exist- not your need for it to happen.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd opt for incremental and consistent growth (aka play it safe).

A great book on the topic is Jim Collins' Great By Choice. Read the Chapter about the 20 Mile March. You never want to overexpose yourself, and want to choose methodical, consistent growth over shooting for the stars.

Take Tesla as you mentioned for example.

Elon Musk didn't start with Tesla or SpaceX. He started with Zip2. What's that? An "internet city guide for the newspaper publishing industry".

He made $22 Million from the sale. He wasn't trying to start Tesla. He was trying to start a "boring" company that solved a need and had consistent growth.

Next, he started X.com which turned into Paypal.

Only after that did he start ambitious plans like Tesla.

My point is: start slow, play it safe, and grow your business as much as you can. Once you have the know how, capital, and infrasture to start a Tesla, then go for it.

Success takes time.

Very well said!

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Well do you want to go big, or just have a safe income? Answers your question right there

I'm at the stage where I live comfortably and want to get uncomfortable creating a new business. I want to go big, but I also want to play it smart. More importantly, I don't want to waste my time. I believe I could create a huge social/web company but I also know I could create products/sell them and make $ that way. The social/web company would likely not generate revenue and the focus would be on generating buzz/users, etc (a la FB, twitter, snapchat or any big invested company really). I would need to take on investors and yadda yada and spend years building something that may not ever generate revenue versus a "product=sell" company where I know I'll make money from the start and I can grow it to earn millions, but it will never have the potential of being something "huge" in regards to society or providing value to the masses on the level of some companies. Do I need that type of money or recognition? Not really, but if I'm going to go big I may as well shoot for those levels with a business that at least has potential to grow to that scale right?

@TeveTorbes - all great points. Thank you. I would reference FB more than Tesla - as it was started by a young founder. Same w/snapchat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.