The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gimme a line of BS.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I'm dumb and can't tell the difference between month and year

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Is there a '0' missing somewhere here?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
D

DeletedUser394

All I have to say is that Suze is currently far more successful than most of the people on this forum, and she is undoubtedly the most well known. (She has her own television show for crying out loud).

I for one, respect her immensely. She is an astute businesswoman, and a great role model for young women who aspire to become great successes/teachers/motivators. She is a fastlane success.

I don't understand why anyone would spend the time 'bashing' her. Is it a jealousy and/or immature thing?

It's funny how many times I find myself repeating this, but her advice is not wrong. (didn't watch the video, but I'm sure I know what she says). Her advice is simply wrong for you. That's all.

There's this grandiose idea that the fastlane is somehow 'universally right'. This couldn't be further from the truth. I also sense some elitism going on with the newer folks joining the forum.

(This is directed to no one in particular) Just because someone is a member of 'thefastlaneforum', that does not for a second mean that they are in the fastlane.

When one realizes truly how much effort and short-term sacrifices you must take in order to become a fastlane success, and then you make a conscious decision to go after one's goals and aspirations knowing full well that you might 'fail' multiple times before succeeding, that is the point when the journey begins. Simply clicking 'register' doesn't do it.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I mean really... don't you think you can get her a better education by spending those 36k/year more wisely ?

Typos regardless,

Never belittle education.

Knowledge is Power... G.I. Joe Extreme...

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I value education highly, but schooling is the total opposite of education.

EDIT: Spending $36k/y for PRIMARY SCHOOL when you earn $25k/y is obviously a very bad play, and it pains me to see Suze Orman recommend such a decision.
I mean, for college it's justifiable (as the value of a college degree is, and will probably stay artificially inflated) but primary school ?
No way.

D

DeletedUser394

I value education highly, but schooling is the total opposite of education.

Opinion, not fact.

There are amazingly complex things that you can learn in higher education.. some if not all of which you can learn on your own. This is why some people don't think the price is justified. However you have access to some of the most brilliant minds on earth.

I see nothing wrong with pursuing a math (accounting) or physics degree, or any other degree that suits your interests. What better than to understand how our world works.

I would not trade my time at university for anything in the world. Meeting great friends, having fun, and challenging your brain at the same time.

I'd pick socializing while learning, over sitting alone with a book (although I enjoy that too), any day of the week.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I think the main advantages of college are
-social experience
-network
-research opportunities for people who are interested in research

Learning isn't on my list.

I don't know about the USA - although I guess it's probably slightly better than in France - but I and other people found the learning experience total sh**. Most what you learn/are being tested on is :

1. Taught in a really weird and unintuitive way
2. Has 0 relevance to the 'real world'/your future work (because it's outdated, or just because it's totally impractical)

And 3. YOU PAY 1000 TO 4000 A MONTH IN TUITION FEES FOR IT !

Yes it's miles ahead of high school, but that is only a testament to how bad high school is. If more companies hired on actual ability to do the work rather than relying on bad credentials then our governments would probably have to make a few laws to restrict employers and save universities from crumbling down (because there's little chance universities are actually going to umm, improve their teaching methods)

D

DeletedUser394

Tu es français? Haha, je n'avais aucune idée.

Tu es seulement 17... et puis t'as deja allé a l'université?

Car l'ecole secondaire et l'université est une grande difference!

Apologies to those that don't speak french :p

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I graduated high school last year, mediocre results due to ADD, went to a grandé école preparatory school (the hours are probably like working as a mangement consultant, except you do stuff that for the most part has no relevance nor impact on the world which makes it even more frustrating), decided it was not for me AT ALL. Endless whining about how the education system is unfair blahblahblah.

Transferred to study economics at uni, it's still shitty and teaches nothing about the very basics of economics.

Decided to apply for foreign universities (because obviously it was my dream since I was little to become an investment banker and save 50% my income so I could retire at 40.).

In my soph year of high school I had read some thought-provoking posts from Steve Pavlina (mainly about not following in the footsteps of everyone and about how wealth is directly tied to value creation) but didn't grasp the concepts quite well and just dismissed them as 'impractical' (I think some of Pavlina's posts really ARE impractical, but in hindsight those I mentioned were actually the most practical of all :))

Sometime in late Jan/early Feb I stumbled upon the Millionaire Fastlane , and I finally understood what Pavlina had been talking about all along. I really felt dumb when I finally removed the blinders of "study/work/retire/die" from my eyes and realized that YES, creating wealth really is a matter of creating value - a concept 99% of us has been blinded to, and which is worth more than anything I've learned in my whole life of schooling.

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
I for one, respect her immensely. She is an astute businesswoman, and a great role model for young women who aspire to become great successes/teachers/motivators. She is a fastlane success.

I don't think anyone actually has a problem with Suze herself. Clearly, she is successful.

It's the fact that she is successful BECAUSE she is fastlane. Not slowlane. Even though her entire business model is based on slowlane teaching.

Is that bad?

No. I'm sure she has helped millions better manage their finances, get out of debt, etc. She is the poster-child of Get Rich Slow. And that is only "offensive" if you are a prospective Fastlaner. Hence people's issue with her, on forums like these.

It's the same as Tim McGraw or Sheryl Crow singing songs about being broke. "If I ain't got nuthin I've got nuthin to lose..."

(Something tells me ol' Timmy boy has done OK for himself).

Obviously, they are catering to an audience. And the audience loves them.

But when you step back and look at what's actually going on - you begin to see the duality. It's subtle, and it's not ill-intended. Suze isn't behind a conspiracy, I think she's honestly trying to help. It's just that her advice doesn't really apply to her.

Just like Tim McGraw's lyrics.

Or Obama's speeches about $500 tax cuts for low-income families.

These are issues the actual spokespeople will never have to worry about, ever. But they vocalize them because it appeals to the masses. It's the nature of the game.

And for people who - like you say are new to the forum, and possibly new to this mindset - being able to recognize and see through this duality is a new experience, and one that they're passionate about.

It has nothing to do with "Suze". It's about the duality.

-Chris

D

DeletedUser394

First off, this has been identified as a "Suze Orman Bashing Thread" by the op, in his own words.

I have absolutely no problem with 'duality', because as you said it's the nature of the game. She's simply capitalizing on what her audience wants.

My point is, if we are not her audience, and if her advice doesn't significantly hurt someone, then why do we even care about what she has to say in the first place.

In other words, what was the purpose of the original post except to criticize her advice that applies to none of us in the first place and the results of which harm no one?

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Although I don't like the duality (I wish Suze or Ramit would have written something that looks like MJ's book rather than their go to college + save 30% of your income so you can retire rich formulas), I'm also upset by the fact educa- I mean the expensive schooling and indoctrination industry - has become a sacred cow thanks to propaganda from governments. If the Millionaire Fastlane wasn't written I would still be on my track to become an investment banker.

I don't know for what reason, but we are being told to think helping other people means being poor and that making money is a zero-sum game where you have to compete with other people.

The world could greatly benefit from some basic economics being taught in schools - from what I understand, a Harvard+MIT graduate is regulating the american dollar and making some very bad decisions so I do think economics teaching is lackluster overall :rofl: - but apparently governments don't want any of it (for 'good' reason I guess)

Of course if you teach sensible economics then people would realize how much of a travesty our 'education' systems are, and how their taxpayer money is being spent on preserving the status quo for some fortunate people and keeping society from making actual advancements (which is incidentally a zero-sum play)

Sometimes entrepreneurs figure out the 'code' and provide massive value to our lives while becoming wealthy themselves. But social conditioning portrays those people as merely lucky.

D

DeletedUser394

Alot of conspiracy, blaming others, and flawed logic in this thread.

Time for me to bow out.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I may be exaggerating - while I was writing the post I was like 'might wanna tone down or I'll get dismissed as a conspiracy theorist', but I figured people don't really do that on this forum - however I hope it IS a conspiracy and not just our political leaders being too stupid to make good decisions about economics and education (although that is certainly possible).

If a country revamps their education system and economic policies in order to promote creation and entrepreneurship, then it probably guarantees itself explosive growth in the long-term relative to other countries.

Going back to Suze Orman, one of the reasons personal finance (and to a lesser extent, entrepreneurship) authors are so rich is mainly because there's a huge market for practical education :D

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
EDIT: Spending $36k/y for PRIMARY SCHOOL when you earn $25k/y is obviously a very bad play, and it pains me to see Suze Orman recommend such a decision.

The caller was earning $250K ... I think you misquoted it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.