The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Started...

Cris1011

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 15, 2020
Hello,

I want to start by thanking MJ DeMarco for the “Fastlane Millionaire” what an amazing book. I’m joining this forum in the hopes of learning from like-minded people while sharing ideas about innovating the world and getting rich.

So, I am 20 years old, and a sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering, and I am truly enticed to go to entrepreneurship after my degree. Here is the first struggle, MJ preached that the time is now, but my “slowlane” thought is to get an education first then work-experience. My education is founded by scholarships, so the only opportunity cost is time, but in return I am building skills and knowledge. My problem is that because I have very little work experience, there isn’t technically a field I can innovate; therefore, I am constraint to what I see now which mainly education. My idea before Fastlane was to build as many skills as possible, and gain work experience before starting my own business which would be at 30 years old. The problem here is time, I could be using this time to actually start something. What is y’all opinion here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
First of all - Welcome to the community! Make sure you drop a comment in the thread "I read The Millionaire Fastlane " so the chevron appears under your icon. That way we all know you've read the book and speak our language.

Now to your question. I see nothing wrong with getting job in order to grow experience and keep a roof over your head as long as you ALWAYS understand that it is not the path to follow. Use jobs to gain experience and open your eyes to needs and wants. But never get comfortable with the pay check and slow lane.

You should also get out and help people. Just helping people, without any expectation of return, frequently puts us in the path of needs. And needs can frequently cause the spark of an idea that leads to your Fastlane off-ramp.

Even MJ had several jobs on his path to the Fastlane. The difference is, he always knew there was something else out there...something more. You know this now as well. So use jobs as a way to move forward but never let them be the way forward. JMHO

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
Hello,

I want to start by thanking MJ DeMarco for the “Fastlane Millionaire” what an amazing book. I’m joining this forum in the hopes of learning from like-minded people while sharing ideas about innovating the world and getting rich.

So, I am 20 years old, and a sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering, and I am truly enticed to go to entrepreneurship after my degree. Here is the first struggle, MJ preached that the time is now, but my “slowlane” thought is to get an education first then work-experience. My education is founded by scholarships, so the only opportunity cost is time, but in return I am building skills and knowledge. My problem is that because I have very little work experience, there isn’t technically a field I can innovate; therefore, I am constraint to what I see now which mainly education. My idea before Fastlane was to build as many skills as possible, and gain work experience before starting my own business which would be at 30 years old. The problem here is time, I could be using this time to actually start something. What is y’all opinion here?
Welcome to the community! I can understand the conflict you are facing and looking for advice, suggestions and guidance. Especially geared towards the Fastlane. Ernman said it pretty well in regards to employment, getting out and helping people to seek opportunities, and never getting comfortable with a paycheck. I would add a little to that (my opinion, and we all have them) in regards to where you are right now. You are 20 years old, attending college, funded on scholarships. This tells me that you are a hard worker who is dedicated to achieving more in life. Stay the course in your education, attain that degree, absorb the education. You may find a need in your senior year, that you have learned about your Junior year... Nevertheless, by staying the course in the education may still open up Fastlane opportunities.

Quick Recap:
Stay the education course, you are still young.
Help others to seek opportunities (find a volunteering club?)
Start a process and execute when you find that opportunity

You got this! Now you have some serious choices to make, try using the WADM to help

Cris1011

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 15, 2020
First of all - Welcome to the community! Make sure you drop a comment in the thread "I read The Millionaire Fastlane " so the chevron appears under your icon. That way we all know you've read the book and speak our language.

Now to your question. I see nothing wrong with getting job in order to grow experience and keep a roof over your head as long as you ALWAYS understand that it is not the path to follow. Use jobs to gain experience and open your eyes to needs and wants. But never get comfortable with the pay check and slow lane.

You should also get out and help people. Just helping people, without any expectation of return, frequently puts us in the path of needs. And needs can frequently cause the spark of an idea that leads to your Fastlane off-ramp.

Even MJ had several jobs on his path to the Fastlane. The difference is, he always knew there was something else out there...something more. You know this now as well. So use jobs as a way to move forward but never let them be the way forward. JMHO
Thank you so much Ernman!

I loved your advice on getting out and helping people, I will for sure do that!

Also I've read The Millionaire Fastlane

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cris1011

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 15, 2020
Quick Recap:
Stay the education course, you are still young.
Help others to seek opportunities (find a volunteering club?)
Start a process and execute when you find that opportunity
Thank you very much afrankmore!

I will definitely seek out more opportunities to help, stay in education and most importantly start a process and EXECUTE when the opportunity comes

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...