The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Rid of Toxic Habit for Good

Anything related to matters of the mind

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is dedicated on my efforts and willingness to finally put an end to a habit/behavior that has been plaguing my life for the past 3-4 years. Keep in mind that I won't mention the actual behavior here, for no other reason besides the fact that it doesn't matter. However, if you would like to know more I'm open to PMs. Although each one of us has a different battle to fight, the process and the strategies used to overcome any obstacles along the way are largely the same. If you've been here for more than a day then you know exactly what I'm talking about, as after all that's part of the premise this forum is based on. Alright, let's get to it!

I was inspired to do this after dwelling into @ChrisV 's thread, I’ve studied Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior for 10+ Years. AMA and his medium article, The master key to changing habits and behavior for good.

Like Chris, I've done some digging into human behavior in the past (though nowhere as Deep as him!!) but I was never able - or willing! - to fully apply the principles which I would study into practice. I blame this more on my lack of genuine effort though than on anything else though. If you haven't read Chris' thread or article yet, then the main finding in terms of terminating toxic behaviors can be summarized as:

"If we can change our perceptions of what’s pleasurable and painful, we can change our actions."

This is the basic idea of what I will be working with and which I will apply with full force into how I think of things and the way those add (or take away) value from my life.

I'll do my best to document my journey on a frequent basis, starting with a 30 Day period just to prove to myself that this is indeed possible and to remain consistent. If you have struggled with anything similar in the past (or are currently struggling) feel free to share.

It's time to have our brains work for us than the other way around...

This marks Day 1.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Love this idea. This is a nobel effort sir and it will pay off in spades. Plus I think documenting it will give people who want to do the same some inspiration if/when it gets rough

I’ll message you too

FEATURED! - Author spent 5 years interviewing 177 selfmade millionaires to find their secrets. Findings inside.

That author found in his study that little daily habits seem to be what separate the successful from the unsuccessful

I remember seeing you post this in another thread. As far as I can recall, the findings were nothing but inspirational.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This thread is dedicated on my efforts and willingness to finally put an end to a habit/behavior that has been plaguing my life for the past 3-4 years. Keep in mind that I won't mention the actual behavior here, for no other reason besides the fact that it doesn't matter. However, if you would like to know more I'm open to PMs. Although each one of us has a different battle to fight, the process and the strategies used to overcome any obstacles along the way are largely the same. If you've been here for more than a day then you know exactly what I'm talking about, as after all that's part of the premise this forum is based on. Alright, let's get to it!

I was inspired to do this after dwelling into @ChrisV 's thread, I’ve studied Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior for 10+ Years. AMA and his medium article, The master key to changing habits and behavior for good.

Like Chris, I've done some digging into human behavior in the past (though nowhere as Deep as him!!) but I was never able - or willing! - to fully apply the principles which I would study into practice. I blame this more on my lack of genuine effort though than on anything else though. If you haven't read Chris' thread or article yet, then the main finding in terms of terminating toxic behaviors can be summarized as:

"If we can change our perceptions of what’s pleasurable and painful, we can change our actions."

This is the basic idea of what I will be working with and which I will apply with full force into how I think of things and the way those add (or take away) value from my life.

I'll do my best to document my journey on a frequent basis, starting with a 30 Day period just to prove to myself that this is indeed possible and to remain consistent. If you have struggled with anything similar in the past (or are currently struggling) feel free to share.

It's time to have our brains work for us than the other way around...

This marks Day 1.

Much respect my friend, i am currently in my own battle stay strong PM me if ya want you will kill it! I myself am at day 10.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Much respect my friend, i am currently in my own battle stay strong PM me if ya want you will kill it! I myself am at day 10.

Thank you for the support!! Much appreciated and good luck to you too!

I've been "trying" to get rid of this for a LOOOOONG time but since acquiring a better understanding of the human brain and how it weighs pain and pleasure to make decisions (again, all thanks to @ChrisV) I am now in a much better position to officially end this.

The way I'm planning to do this is by not allowing my subconscious mind to construct any thoughts surrounding the issue - which was quite hard at first but I seem to be getting quite good at it with practice - as well as constantly reminding myself of the pain this certain behavior has caused over the years whenever I am alone and seem to have some free time.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to elaborate a little for anyone interested, but didn’t want to derail your thread:

Neurochemistry 101 - Meet your Happy Chemicals

No problem Chris, any input is appreciated. I'll make sure to check this out.

As Day 1 is slowly coming to an end I have found that constantly reminding myself of the true pain that engaging in this behavior has caused to me (emotionally & physically) versus the lack of true pain when not engaging in it and choosing to spend my time more wisely instead.

The only thing is that my subconscious mind is trying to convince me otherwise, but I suppose consistent action over time will make this tremendously easier in the long run.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
"If we can change our perceptions of what’s pleasurable and painful, we can change our actions.
One way you can change your perception is through self talk, by only reading and watching things which affirms how great your new habit is, only hanging out with people who are about that new way of life and brainwashing yourself to believe in your new habit fully.

As you do these things create more reasons why you should do it.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
One way you can change your perception is through self talk, by only reading and watching things which affirms how great your new habit is, only hanging out with people who are about that new way of life and brainwashing yourself to believe in your new habit fully.

As you do these things create more reasons why you should do it.

"Fake it till you make it" kind of thing. I LOVE it!

I now relaize that what eventually made me revert to my old habits in the past is not FULLY comittimg myself to changing. Maybe I was doing one or even two of the things you mentioned above, but definitely not all.

Thanks for the advice man! I'll put it into practice and keep you gys updated.

Also, day 2 has been going fine. Primarily because I've been with other people all day though and because of having very little free time. Still, I've been doing a great job at directing my thoughts away from anything related to my past toxic behaviors.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
"Fake it till you make it" kind of thing. I LOVE it!

I now relaize that what eventually made me revert to my old habits in the past is not FULLY comittimg myself to changing. Maybe I was doing one or even two of the things you mentioned above, but definitely not all.

Thanks for the advice man! I'll put it into practice and keep you gys updated.

Also, day 2 has been going fine. Primarily because I've been with other people all day though and because of having very little free time. Still, I've been doing a great job at directing my thoughts away from anything related to my past toxic behaviors.
You're welcome, yeah free time gets you in trouble.

I heard a quote said once in a Grant Cardone video, "Idle time is the devil's workshop".

Try to stay busy and you'll have an easier time to not fall back into old habits.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I don't know if you already decided a way to break the habit, I recommend you the Rubber Band Technique:

The Rubber Band Technique

Instead of snapping it you could just switch wrists and make it a goal to keep the rubber band on the same wrist for 30 days.

It can take you several months but once you do it the habit will be gone because you'd have been using your metacognitive abilities and natural neroplasticity to build new solid neuropathways to substitute the old ones.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.