The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

getting in the game, my first domain

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Bad habits should be burned before they become strong habits.

Read the book. Read the gold threads. Your mind is not ready.

'Take action' is bullshit if your mind is not in the right place, and yours is not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, one thing I will say is that it is positive that you are just stepping up and taking a swing at this.

Most people come at things from the opposite direction; learning as much as they can and never doing anything.

That being said, you do need a strategy here. You need to consider the desired goal, which would be some kind of website with some kind of value to some group of people.

It is extremely unlikely that you will create this by finding a random domain that has a nice ring to it and starting from that angle.

These domains could become extremely valuable to you if you make them secondary to building a site around something people want.

Don't get discouraged, get motivated. Try harder.

The truth is that there are millions of people doing this stuff, and only a small fraction of them are any smarter, wealthier, or more capable than you.

You do need to understand what it is you are trying to do though.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
you are wrong, I'm not wasting my money I'm buying fun

You are in essence playing the "domain lottery". You're not investing on anything that will create any value.
Good luck with that, don't turn it into a habit though. Your fun will last as long as your money lasts. Then it's hell ;)

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
I really appreciate the well intended advice.
For those who don't understand, let me try to explain
48 hs ago I didn't know about domaining, nothing at all.
After reading, by chance, that someone made some money doing it I started to look into it. I learned a lot in the past 48hs, like domain registration, what is domain parking, domain monetarization, how domains are bought and sold, etc. All these was completely new to me. As I got more interested and started posting into this forum I'm learning what is a good name and what is not (teasyteasy.com sounded great at the moment, lol) and I get to know new people like all of you guys.
So basicly I discover a whole new activity I was not aware of, learned a ton of new things and ALL THIS FOR LESS THAN 10 bucks and while having fun (who doesn't like to look for new domain names?).
I loved Formless coment "your mind is not ready"
Really dude? you don't even know me...
I got a few more domains in sight, I hope they better than the ones I bought already!

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hopefully this post will allow you to bypass about a year of F*ckin around, because I was where you're at at one point. Most of us were, I think.

Arbitrage (flipping) is useless if you don't know the value of the item you're buying. You bought domains hoping they were worth more than $2, but you have no idea what value these domains actually are. Domaining is just another type of flipping.

Flipping can be a way to make money very fast if you need to make a payment or need startup capital. But you need to make sure you are actually going to be able to sell something for more than you paid. The easiest way to do that is to buy items for less than they're worth. Think iPhones off Craigslist. You find out the eBay price and decide that you are going to buy iPhones for at least $50 less than the eBay price. So you make a couple offers and you get 3 iPhones for $50, $70, and $90 less than eBay price. You sell em on eBay for $35, $55, and $85 profit. That's successful flipping.

Doesn't have to be iPhones, it can be anything. Read @RichKid's thread on hustling. He does all kinds of shit. If you need money now and only have $10, you can start by buying a $20 item for $10, $20 for $35, $35 for $65, and keep going up. Hell, you could even do it with DOMAINS... but only if you know the value of your domain. And a domain without a pagerank is typically not worth a damn.

http://flippa.com

Flipping, however quick the money is, is not Fastlane and is still 'small-time' thinking. It's true that you can make 5-figures a month flipping high-ticket items. However, it's not sustainable and you'll always be trying to catch up to the money you've been making.

What you want to do is build a Fastlane business.

Go read The Millionaire Fastlane and then come back to this post so the rest of it can make more sense.

Read it? Good.

Since you seem to be extra green at this, you need to learn, first and foremost, how to spot needs in the marketplace. You can do this by looking at the things people currently buy, the things people ask for, and what people who asked for those things have in common.

The more you do this, the better you can analyze different markets for needs that are unmet or underserved. That's where the journey really starts.

Good luck. And stop squatting on domains: you're wasting money and time

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
$5 more and you could've had this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0984358102/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

We're helping you man....albeit not in the way you expect.
I apreaciate that!!!
I have another "bigger" more fastlane project cooking this was just for fun, I don't really see myself doing this seriously. I don't enjoy sitting with the computer much.
I agree 100% this is not fastlane, neither is hustling.
I enjoyed richkids thread though...
The-j thanks so much for taking the time to write all that valuable info
why is everybody talking about squatting? if it is not a trade mark/brand it is not squatting, right????????

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I love this thread. Please update it will all your domains. Your names are awesome!

Goodluck!

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
Ok, here are my last 3 domains:
newyorkplumbing com
newyorkcomputersolutions com
realstateme com
I love this thread. Please update it will all your domains. Your names are awesome!

Goodluck!
Thank you!
At least someone liked my names!
yawn

Last edited:

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
????so what is all the people doing buying and selling domains? are they all squatters? I see a lot of people buying domains to resell, is that ilegal?
thkx

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
why is everybody talking about squatting? if it is not a trade mark/brand it is not squatting, right????????

That Allstarcharters is definitely a brand isn't it? You even asked if you should call up the companies with that name...
IANAL, but that seems like it was bought in "bad faith".

Good luck.

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
first, it is not a registered brand.
second I do own a boat charter business (not in the usa) and when I saw that it was available I thought it was a good name. Didn't know about squatting at the time. then I checked and found other companies with that name, so I thought on contacting them. But if that is ilegal I can still use it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.