The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Dirty with Wordpress

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Its time for me to get started with wordpress. I know most of the basics about using wordpress.com, and how to build a hosted site, its remarkably easy. But I want to do much more with it, so I need to do the self install and find my own host.

With Wordpress I want to;
Build Ecommerce sites (affiliate mktg, lead gen, blog)
Build Content Sites(blogs, info sites that lead to ecommerce, monetize with ads)

I know a lot of Wordpress dev's who are pretty cheap, but I want to try my hand at doing it on my own. Any suggestions on how to learn it? Most of the WordPress 101 training stuff I have seen is too basic for me. I need to know the ins and outs of using the downloaded free version, and hosting on my own.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I don't know how advanced you are yet, but if you want something pretty quick, you can set-up your Wordpress site in about 5 minutes if you use HostGator for your hosting. Then, all you need is a third-party FTP utility if you need to upload any additional plug-ins or themes. You can do the a lot of the CSS editing directly from your Wordpress back-end (I'm still learning this).

There are a ton of really great (and free) themes and plug-ins that you can use with Wordpress if you are looking for e-commerce. One that I've used in the past is WooThemes and WooCommerce. They have a free theme and a free WooCommerce plug-in, but if you want advanced functionality, you'll have to either pay for one of their (moderately priced) premium themes or plug-ins. Of course, you could always learn to do it yourself, too.

One thing to be sure about if you are doing a site yourself is security. There are some cool, free plug-ins that help keep hackers/spammers off your site, too.

Hope that helps!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.