- Joined
- Apr 21, 2008
- Messages
- 200
Rep Bank
$280
$280
User Power: 8%
A few months ago, I took my brother into my home after he lost his full-time job and condo, due to a foreclosure. We went job hunting and found a small part-time job, so that he could get car insurance again, and drive around for more opportunities.
It was my hope that the part-time job would eventually offer him at least 30 hours/week by now, but it has not. Thus, I told him that we should start looking in other directions. His old job was in fixing medical equipment, so we started inquiring at local hospitals and companies who do that sort of thing. We’re even working with multiple job placement agencies. In the last couple months, we’ve not even found any opportunities out there.
My next thought was that he should look for either a different part-time job and/or an additional one to supplement his income. At this point, we’re just trying to pay off his debts, and get him to contribute to our shared bills, so he’s not sponging off me forever. While I’d prefer he get something that has a future, my patience has run out, and I need him to get anything additional going here, even if that means working at a McDonalds. So far, our inquiries and followups have done nothing.
While I’m able to keep my brother on task, I can tell he’s feeling disheartened and unmotivated because of the poor economy. Is there anything I can do to help his motivation, besides threatening to throw him out? I don’t want to alienate him, but at the same time I don’t want to enable him to sponge off me forever.
Is there anything else we can do? I’m staying on top of him, so I know he’s doing everything in his power to get things moving. He’s also contributing greatly to maintaining my house, so at least he’s earning his keep. Still, I want to help him get back on his feet.
Thanks for the advice.
It was my hope that the part-time job would eventually offer him at least 30 hours/week by now, but it has not. Thus, I told him that we should start looking in other directions. His old job was in fixing medical equipment, so we started inquiring at local hospitals and companies who do that sort of thing. We’re even working with multiple job placement agencies. In the last couple months, we’ve not even found any opportunities out there.
My next thought was that he should look for either a different part-time job and/or an additional one to supplement his income. At this point, we’re just trying to pay off his debts, and get him to contribute to our shared bills, so he’s not sponging off me forever. While I’d prefer he get something that has a future, my patience has run out, and I need him to get anything additional going here, even if that means working at a McDonalds. So far, our inquiries and followups have done nothing.
While I’m able to keep my brother on task, I can tell he’s feeling disheartened and unmotivated because of the poor economy. Is there anything I can do to help his motivation, besides threatening to throw him out? I don’t want to alienate him, but at the same time I don’t want to enable him to sponge off me forever.
Is there anything else we can do? I’m staying on top of him, so I know he’s doing everything in his power to get things moving. He’s also contributing greatly to maintaining my house, so at least he’s earning his keep. Still, I want to help him get back on his feet.
Thanks for the advice.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
