The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Genius Book Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
My friend sent me this video today. LINK

I was listening for a bit then decided to look up the artist. What I ended up finding was this
http://blackstarnovel.com/

This guy has a dubstep/industrial soundtrack for his novel(s). Each song track is a chapter in the book.

Pure.

F%#@ing.

Genius.
He also has bundles for sale. Books, music and shirts.

I'm blown away by this marketing. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Interesting concept... very fancy.
Wonder if it sells though, fancy doesn't always sell.

Would love to see what his numbers are like.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've never listened to a song and thought "Hey, I wish there was a book similar to this song."

And from my quick research, it seems like most people are with me:

C57lbQg.png

The guy doesn't get enough sales to be considered a "marketing genius".

In my opinion, this wasn't a marketing play, but an artistic play. As in: Celldweller first made an album, then thought it'd be cool to make a movie accompanying the soundtrack, realized that no one was interested in that, and then created the book.

I 100% support his hustle, but to call him a marketing genius is going way too far.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I like it. Why not? It's a way to differentiate. Raving fans of his will likely consume everything he puts out. It's got my interest enough to consider making a purchase. I will likely not because I'm not devoting any time right now or in the near future to fiction reading. I don't know how long he's been at the book writing or music production but it could just be a matter of time until he hit's a tipping point. I'll be curious to see where he's at one, two, three years from now.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I've never listened to a song and thought "Hey, I wish there was a book similar to this song."

And from my quick research, it seems like most people are with me:

C57lbQg.png

The guy doesn't get enough sales to be considered a "marketing genius".

In my opinion, this wasn't a marketing play, but an artistic play. As in: Celldweller first made an album, then thought it'd be cool to make a movie accompanying the soundtrack, realized that no one was interested in that, and then created the book.

I 100% support his hustle, but to call him a marketing genius is going way too far.

Just because you never thought it, doesn't mean others haven't. Science fiction fans are raving about this guy.

Dubstep - Science-fiction.
Goes hand-in-hand.

Always remember your target.

Film Credits
http://www.celldweller.com/site/?page_id=7

He is already in the industry, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a movie. He's already done music videos.

I like it. Why not? It's a way to differentiate. Raving fans of his will likely consume everything he puts out. It's got my interest enough to consider making a purchase. I will likely not because I'm not devoting any time right now or in the near future to fiction reading. I don't know how long he's been at the book writing or music production but it could just be a matter of time until he hit's a tipping point. I'll be curious to see where he's at one, two, three years from now.
He's been at it a while apparently. Has tracks in tons of movies.

It definitely interested me. Most fiction books I gloss over unless someone recommends it.
Interesting concept... very fancy.

Would love to see what his numbers are like.
Same here. He makes money from both. So it's not like he made a free product to sell a different one. He makes money from music, eBooks, production sound packs, tours, royalties, etc Music is his main thing, the books are another product.

For this niche and target market, I still think it's brilliant marketing.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would say he probably has a fan base off Indie groups, into fantasy, anime, gamers, and the younger generation. Is a neat idea. Indie's are all on the latest music, art, fiction, etc. They want to know the newest version of movies, books, music, games, and love making it news before anyone else. I smell indie all over this idea.

I had a similar idea for my novel, but without the music. Because I was hanging out with some indie's when I started writing it, and you hang around indie's their the creative genius's.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I would say he probably has a fan base off Indie groups, into fantasy, anime, gamers, and the younger generation. Is a neat idea. Indie's are all on the latest music, art, fiction, etc. They want to know the newest version of movies, books, music, games, and love making it news before anyone else. I smell indie all over this idea.
You are exactly right. FiXT is his label and publishing company. Tons of sci-fi gamer fans.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha. Yes, when you hang around the crowd for almost two years, you know how they work!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
This is a great brand differentiation.

I have a zombie board-game I'm developing and I'm working alongside a composer to create a 'soundtrack' to the boardgame... so you play the music as you're playing the game to really give it a specific vibe.

I came up with the idea because I play music/sound effect generators when I'm playing board-games/reading myself.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
This is a great brand differentiation.

I have a zombie board-game I'm developing and I'm working alongside a composer to create a 'soundtrack' to the boardgame... so you play the music as you're playing the game to really give it a specific vibe.

I came up with the idea because I play music/sound effect generators when I'm playing board-games/reading myself.
That is awesome. Are you going to make an app to go with the game that includes the music?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Indie's don't care about fancy. They care about looking the weirdest, craziest, most creative, and more from the dark side, and they count on advertising. They count on word of mouth, what's the biggest and hippest new thing coming out right now. And have to be the first to find out about it so they look cool in front of the rest of the crowd. And the one's I new, they used all the social media like clockwork.

The thing is, they have tons of talent and creativity, but not enough to discipline themselves to be an entrepreneur hardcore. You might find a few, but they don't care about self-development, schedules, organization, and debate on every political, literature, religion, philosophy, and science, and art topic out there. They don't want to save the world. I see the musing their talent and creativity, but it's just for fun. I was always shaking my head, because they would get opportunities and just sabotage it on purpose.

This is how they think! And why I have a hard time fitting in the way people want me to write novels. lol Our minds are abstract not concrete.

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
That is awesome. Are you going to make an app to go with the game that includes the music?
I hope so. With an app, the problem becomes size.
If I DID have an app, I'd love to convey gameplay information to the player by hiring voice actors to deliver information via HAM radio

"::chhhhhhhh:: Attention, Downtown is now overrun with the zombie infestation, but there are rumors of a group of survivors in the old sawmill ::chhhhhhhh::"

and then the players will place the corresponding game pieces on the board.

There's still a lot I have to figure out in terms of viability, but I really hope I can balance it so it all works out.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.