The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (all back issues)<for real this time :wideyed:
  • The Boron Letters
  • Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
UPDATE: ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (all back issues) Well 22% of them anyway
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
When you guys get around to copying up the ads and taking notes from the books are you going to do it by hand like Gary says? At risk of getting slapped round the back of the head here by Oldscool but I'm thinking of departing from the instructions and typing the notes. Laptops weren't really all that popular when Gary wrote the challenge and as I intend to be doing a lot of travelling I've got no intention of lumping around a suitcase full of paper notes. On top of that I can barely read my own handwriting and hate paper. I'm thinking of finding some kind of flash card software or something, ideally one with a phone app. If it doesn't exist maybe I've got an app idea right there lol :D

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Just my opinion but Gary to me appeared very aware of the technological advances taking place. When I read his newsletters he seemed to understand not only technology, but, he was able to take in a vast amount of information on a number of topics, (that still astounds me). Even still he kept speaking about handwriting letters several times through out the newsletter,(also, other current copywriters have said the same thing even with these advancements).

In the newsletter, Gary said he been writing since 9, and, also he went to law school. I think lots of writing is required in law school so maybe his innate ability and years of doing it over and over given him an edge?

Anyway, I am not going to tell you what to do as I am tired of beating the old drum, but, I think he believed what he said, and. I am a believer in what he said. Therefore, until I feel I am experienced enough to question his tactics, I am doing it his way.

P.S. I am sure others aren't going to write and already diverted.There are 1000 ways to skin a cat, but, as Gary would say, "whatever". :)

Last edited:

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
FWIW, I always remember things much better when I write by hand.

Maybe because I have to put more effort into it? I write slower and therefore have more of a chance to think about what I'm writing.

When I type, I am often not paying nearly as much attention.

Florin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Feb 19, 2014
One advice that I want to give to all members is to take notes and important notes on what you read. Why, you ask me? Well, lads and gents, if you did it like me, now you should have like 50-100 pages of pure gold.

That's my pure gold at the moment which I can re-read everytime, without re-reading the books. Try it yourself, it will save time. Peace, I'm out reading.

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
One advice that I want to give to all members is to take notes and important notes on what you read. Why, you ask me? Well, lads and gents, if you did it like me, now you should have like 50-100 pages of pure gold.

That's my pure gold at the moment which I can re-read everytime, without re-reading the books. Try it yourself, it will save time. Peace, I'm out reading.

Lol, Gary said don't take notes so I took his advice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013

"O.K., after you had read all of the above, I would further instruct you to read nothing else and not take notes."
"Now, about this business of not taking notes: Don't worry. We're not finished with those books, newsletters, and Boron Letters after just one reading. No Sir. Not by a long shot. Those books and those letters should become your lifetime companions."

" I now want you to go back and reread all those advertising books and back issues of my newsletters (including the Boron Letters and, this time, take notes. Write down every good idea, every important insight and every nugget of wisdom that is contained in all that material. What this means, my friend, is that by the time you are finished, you should have hundreds of notes."
........................................................................................................
This is why you read things through first before getting your pen out! :p:rolleyes:

Florin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Feb 19, 2014
2 more books left and 5-7 days left - i'll get them faster :D

"Scientific Advertising" -by Claude Hopkins

"The Robert Collier Letter Book" -by Robert Collier

"Tested Advertising Methods" -by John Caples

"How To Write A Good Advertisement -by Vic Schwab

"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues) -by Gary Halbert

"The Boron Letters -by Gary Halbert

""The Boron Letters" 2.0

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" -by Joe Karbo <- reading this

"Break-Through Advertising" -by Eugene M. Schwartz

"7-Steps To Freedom" -by Ben Suarez

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
So far I have read:
Scientific Advertising
The Boron Letters

I am in the middle of reading:
The Robert Collier Letter Book
Breakthrough Advertising

On its way:
Tested Advertising Methods (1974 edition, i hope this is the right one)

I have found the books so far to be profoundly mind altering. I can't wait to see how I think at the very end of all this.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
So far I have read:
Scientific Advertising
The Boron Letters

I am in the middle of reading:
The Robert Collier Letter Book
Breakthrough Advertising

On its way:
Tested Advertising Methods (1974 edition, i hope this is the right one)

I have found the books so far to be profoundly mind altering. I can't wait to see how I think at the very end of all this.

yup the 1974 is it.

P.S. I love the bland username. You picked as low a key a name as you could think of :)

Albert Liao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 22, 2014
Hi everyone!

Hope y'all are powering through all the books, keep up the good work.

Just wanted to get weigh in on what everyone's thoughts were when it comes to direct mail orders.

Is direct mail order still relevant anymore in the internet age of today? Would it still be as effective as it was for so many 30-40 years ago?

It's just hard to not to have these questions floating in my head when all I'm reading are all these copywriters making millions from direct mail orders.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Hi everyone!

Hope y'all are powering through all the books, keep up the good work.

Just wanted to get weigh in on what everyone's thoughts were when it comes to direct mail orders.

Is direct mail order still relevant anymore in the internet age of today? Would it still be as effective as it was for so many 30-40 years ago?

It's just hard to not to have these questions floating in my head when all I'm reading are all these copywriters making millions from direct mail orders.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Apparently so although I guess it would be slightly different. Reading through the Collier letters I just kept thinking about how that kind of advertising would work on me! Most companies seem to forget about direct mail because Email is free. I never get letters through the post like the ones described by Collier or Halbert, everything is clearly marked on the outside of the envelope and you know before you open it it's advertising. Then when you open it you get a load of hyper colourful glossy sales shit fall out, not a neat personalised letter that you would be tempted to read. I wonder if there's now legislation that says sales letters have to be marked on the outside or that these advertising companies are just incompetent.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
question: what do you guys hand write out? all the sales letters?

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
question: what do you guys hand write out? all the sales letters?

With the ones Gary mentions I'm going to hand write them, type them and then read them out loud. All this copywriting stuff seems a real subconscious process so I think the more i put it through my head the better.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (all back issues)<for real this time :wideyed:
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
By the way, if someone has the 7 steps to freedom ii pdf i'd like to get it from you to compare any differences.

Last edited:

Florin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Feb 19, 2014
Challenge Finished!
It was a looongg road to study (longer that I've ever taken). At first, I didn't believed that I could finish such a challenge. Each passing day was harder and harder to devote only to reading (damn, I don't really like reading). But in the end, I'm quite enthusiastic about what I've learned.

Needless to say, I have quite a popular product selling right now. After I apply everything I've read, I'll make gazzillions now muhaha.

Good luck to everyone!

""The Boron Letters" 2.0

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" -by Joe Karbo

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Challenge Finished!
It was a looongg road to study (longer that I've ever taken). At first, I didn't believed that I could finish such a challenge. Each passing day was harder and harder to devote only to reading (damn, I don't really like reading). But in the end, I'm quite enthusiastic about what I've learned.

Needless to say, I have quite a popular product selling right now. After I apply everything I've read, I'll make gazzillions now muhaha.

Hey Florin,

I don't know if you're doing you're own thing or whatnot but the challenge isn't over... The next step in the challenge is to hand write a bunch of ads Gary Halbert recommends, then have one professionally done, before moving on to taking notes... There are actually quite a few steps still left in this challenge if you actually want to complete it as recommended by Gary Halbert!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Hey Florin,

I don't know if you're doing you're own thing or whatnot but the challenge isn't over... The next step in the challenge is to hand write a bunch of ads Gary Halbert recommends, then have one professionally done, before moving on to taking notes... There are actually quite a few steps still left in this challenge if you actually want to complete it as recommended by Gary Halbert!

He is doing his own thing. I think he maybe more experienced because he said he has his own popular product selling right now. Just hope newbies follow through, if not, that's just less competition :)

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" -by Joe Karbo

Done now on to the sales letters finally!

Florin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks Leono for pointing out the next step. As of now, I finished handwriting 9 letters. The reason I expressed my "challenge is over" feeling is because the hardest part for me was to spend time all day reading and taking notes. Handwriting is easy now because I understand almost everything about a sales letter and I love doing it now. I already took my time to slowly take notes - as I've said in another reply, I am doing this because for me is the fastest way to get them in my head and it worked! (that's what millionaire fastlane is about, isn't it?)

He is doing his own thing. I think he maybe more experienced because he said he has his own popular product selling right now. Just hope newbies follow through, if not, that's just less competition

Indeed, I am in the informational selling for ~2 years now (didn't made too much because my sales letter su**s although the product is pure gold for my niche but that will change in 1-2 months - I have my reasons for this delay)

Anyways, good luck to everyone!

I believe that most of us who will take the challenge, will be successful. Why I say this?

Because we take the time to learn something and we have a dream of doing something with what we learn. Or, we have the 2nd option: 9-5 and late night beer binges with friends.

Who will be the winner in the end? We, because we invest our time in getting better? Or regular people/friends who just walk the straight 9-5 (job) path?

trshosta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 10, 2013
Started Scientific Advertising, but it's taking me a while because I don't read regularly. Hopefully I get into a regular routine soon.

jeremye

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jun 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
This is a fantastic idea and very timely for me. Thanks oldscool for putting all these resource links up. I've written many successful ads and sales letters in the past, but never have I actually gone through this kind of bootcamp to make myself a winning writer. I'm starting the challenge today, and look forward to making regular updates on this thread.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I tell ya. It is one thing to read what Gary says it is quite another to actually do it. How are you guys handwriting the letters? On notebook paper or are you using blank sheets and creating a layout with the words in it? I am not sure what gary means when he says,
Onward. Now that you've obtained copies of these ads and letters, I want you to sit down and copy them out word-for-word in your own handwriting. Next, I want you to create a hand-drawn layout of each ad and direct mail package.

Does one have to do with the other or no? I wrote out the ad on notebook paper but then I read sentence above again. What's your take on this?

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
I tell ya. It is one thing to read what Gary says it is quite another to actually do it. How are you guys handwriting the letters? On notebook paper or are you using blank sheets and creating a layout with the words in it? I am not sure what gary means when he says,
Onward. Now that you've obtained copies of these ads and letters, I want you to sit down and copy them out word-for-word in your own handwriting. Next, I want you to create a hand-drawn layout of each ad and direct mail package.
Does one have to do with the other or no? I wrote out the ad on notebook paper but then I read sentence above again. What's your take on this?

I think he means handwrite the copy like you've done and then sketch the lay-out of the ad so you get an idea of how the copy, pictures, headlines and offers are layed out. You don't actually need to write out the copy in the drawing unless you want to.

Last edited:

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I started this challenge on Friday and I'm through Scientific Advertising and now moving on to The Robert Collier Letters. Thanks oldscool for starting this thread!

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012

I agree with what Jimmyy said. I've been writing out the sentences by hand, then plan on going back through to "draw" out the design by using boxes and "squares" to represent text, pictures, headlines, and whatnot. Also, I've been using blank sheets of paper just because ... it's convenient! It's what I have readily available. I don't think it matters one way or another what you write on so long as you write. I'm pretty sure Gary would've been happy to see us writing on toilet paper if that's all we had!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I'm pretty sure Gary would've been happy to see us writing on toilet paper if that's all we had!

lol, come to think of it you are probably right based on the things he said in his newsletters.
By the way, I printed excess papers that I dont need, and am recycling the other side of that paper which is blank. I decided to use a ruler to line it, (to make them look like notebook paper). You could do the same thing with your print paper. If you dont have a ruler you can use a book to line it up of course.

waste not want not :)

Last edited:

jeremye

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jun 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm reading through the Robert Collier Letters book now, and this feels like real correspondence school material. I am completely learning good stuff that has already begun to expand my thinking.

I'm confident this is a great time investment that's going to pay off big.

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letters
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7 Steps To Freedom

Leono has done an awesome job finding a load of links to the various ads you need to copy out and passed them on to stick in the dropbox.

Should be able to find them under links - bookmarks.html

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!