The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
maybe i asked the wrong question. How do you make it recognizable to adobe for highlight? not sure what you mean. i need instruction on how you can highlight. I cant even copy and paste:embarrased:

Why you can't copy and paste:
1.) The original PDF is password protected
2.) Even if you remove the permissions password, The document is nothing more than a scan.

What I did:
1.) I removed the password protection
2.) I used Adobe Acrobat XI Pro's OCR to convert the document so that Adobe could read it as characters rather than just a scanned image

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
So does everyone just go down the list in the same order or do some people mix it up?

I'd also strongly consider reading Cashvertising, another highly recommended book from other Fastlaners..

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Haven't posted since I started February 1st.

So far I have consumed...

Scientific Advertising
The Boron Letters
About to finish... How to Write a Good Advertisement

This is a shitton of reading for a month, but so far, it's good stuff! Hope to play catch up a little this weekend.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Still working on the Boron Letters. It's slow reading, especially when I am as busy as I am.

Making progress every day, though! Lots of good learning, it's already been valuable.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
So does everyone just go down the list in the same order or do some people mix it up?

I was going down the list but I might mix it up and start on breakthrough advertising tomorrow. It dont matter what order you read really. Just stick to whats on the list for this challenge for now, unless you are already experienced then you can freestyle.

NOTE: There will be another thread or probably already is of other book recommendations,so, no need to bring them up in this thread.

zoomzoom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 22, 2013

I just started today but I'm following GH's directions to the smallest detail so I'm reading them in the order that he referenced them... book one down, moving on to number two :)

Phase One: Recommended Reading

1. Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins
  2. --> The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier
  3. Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples
  4. How To Write A Good Advertisement by Vic Schwab
  5. The Gary Halbert Letter (all back issues) by Gary Halbert
  6. The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert
  7. The Lazy Man's Way to Riches by Joe Karbo
  8. Break-Through Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz
  9. 7-Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Gary Halbert:
"I want you to get a copy of the following ads and direct mail letters:

[listed ads]

And, in general, anything you can get your hands on that was written by Gary Bencivenga, Dan Rosenthal, Joe E. Kennedy, Pat Garrard, Steve Brown, Drew Kaplan, Claude Hopkins, Joe Karbo, Ben Suarez, Joe Sugarman, Gene Schwartz and, of course, yours truly."

Does anyone have a beautiful swipe file of DIRECT MAIL/Ads/SALES LETTERS from the above names. Particularly the harder to find ones like, Garrard, Brown, Kaplan, &, Rosenthal. I know the usual suspects will be easier to find. Though, I haven't bothered to search for any of the names above for my swipe yet.
There are some veteran copywriters here who have all the above in their swipe lurking this thread. You can PM me if you are selfish about sharing with the group. I'd like to get my hands on a killer swipe!!!

Thanks

Last edited:

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm in as well.
The quality of my learning is more important than its pace for me (I'm working on some other personal projects at the moment on which I want to be concentrated ), but I'd still try to complete the challenge as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

nickR8

999999999 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 5, 2014
Austin, TX
Just finished The Robert Collier Letter Book. Reading it felt quite painful... very long and lots of repetition... but it really ingrained some important concepts like creating urgency, risk reversal through things like money-back guarantee etc. But I definitely don't look forward to re-reading it...

2. The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier
I just ordered "Tested Advertising Methods" and "How To Write A Good Ad" and started reading "Break-Through Advertising" today. Seems interesting.

My favorite book until now has been the Boron Letters. I think I just really like Gary Halbert's writing style :)

A

Angus

Collier's book is badass, same couple of letters over and over again, it's hard to not fall asleep while reading. :joyful:
Joking aside, good advice so far, he uses free trials beastly!
Am I the only one who wants to try selling by mail now?

zoomzoom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 22, 2013
Day three already for me and I'm starting #3 of the 9 books so my goal i going to stay on pace at a book a day and begin copying the sales letters the week of the 17th - might just finish OldFool's/GH challenge within 30 days after all...

3. --> Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples

Just finished The Robert Collier Letter Book. Reading it felt quite painful... very long and lots of repetition... but it really ingrained some important concepts like creating urgency, risk reversal through things like money-back guarantee etc. But I definitely don't look forward to re-reading it...

I just ordered "Tested Advertising Methods" and "How To Write A Good Ad" and started reading "Break-Through Advertising" today. Seems interesting.

My favorite book until now has been the Boron Letters. I think I just really like Gary Halbert's writing style :)

I have to agree, I bought it many years ago and have never been able to get through it, felt like just taking out the highlighter and taking notes so I wouldn't have to go through it again but I resisted lol

Collier's book is badass, same couple of letters over and over again, it's hard to not fall asleep while reading. :joyful:
Joking aside, good advice so far, he uses free trials beastly!
Am I the only one who wants to try selling by mail now?

Not at all, we have to rent some lists and give it a go after we get through Gary's full challenge :)

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
TUDOG's I have sinned. Please forgive me.

I slacked off this weekend. Friday I read 90 pages of the newsletter, yesterday 37 pages, and, today I read only 5 pages,(before falling to sleep because I was and partially still am induced with a sugar coma,'trifling').

You see, when I went looking to build my swipe file it got me going down a deep rabbit hole of information that made me slip. I got greedy, and, fell for the bait. This is why I was so adamant to stick to the program because I was talking to myself as well as you, (the whispers of temptation will leave you astray).

As the nike rise and shine video say, "Momentum is a cruel mistress, she will turn on you at the drop of a dime/hat".

Or as Brian Tracy said about self discipline, "The road to hell is paved with people with good intentions".

I should've known the devil tricks by now. I am very familiar with his shenanigans. Salt, sugar, and, chasing information is a threat to my livelihood. This is why I didnt want to lead this group. Grrr, back to the drawing board.

I'm going to attempt to lockdown my computer for a few hours and get back on track. Usually I do it for 2 hours but I might go five hours.

Sorry again.

P.S. I just showed you what not to do. The other information isnt going anywhere. I provided enough to get us through the challenge(dont get greedy).

P.P.S. Random, I find it funny that some marketers pretend that selling is easy(in their sales copy), yet, they went through the very books we are studying for their own education. That's why you should focus on this, so, that you will be able to discern whats good info and what isnt once you are done.

P.P.P.S. This isn't a copywriting book chat thread this is a challenge, so, to those of you staying on the straight, and, narrow path with this, hats off to you. I am proud of you!!!!!

P.P.P.P.S. <wow] Update: After posting this I locked down computer and manage to squeeze out a total of 62 pages,(not alot, but, better than 5, especially being on a sugar rush :) ).

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 22, 2013
Hey... we've all been there, at least you caught yourself before you really fell in too deep, well done OldFool! Keep plowing forward.

G

GuestUser112

I'm following the program to a T. I however want to have some material available after I'm done with the challenge, thats why I suggested the dropbox.

Edit: I'm not going to take my copied Copy to a typist lol

Thanks for inviting me to the drop box folder. I was looking forward to contributing some books but it looks like you have already included every one I have lol. You've created a great resource, props.

BobbyPenzero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Nov 28, 2013
Hey @Cleveland just wondered if I could get in on the dropbox folder if possible? Got a few good things to contribute, and tearing my way through the book list (currently on How To Write a Good Ad - awesome book).

djax06

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 16, 2013
This works :)

Love re-writing these things.

I read the books that Halbert said too and followed Copy Hour to a tee... essentially the same thing but you have a winner sent to your email daily and stuff. copyhour.com if you want to check it out.

Still write these when I have some time... has definitely improved the copywriting and overall marketing mindset.

Gary Halbert is such a G. Sugarman too. Mainly focus on those two now.

I think i've writting about 80 of these things now. Hand is much much stronger.

nickR8

999999999 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 5, 2014
Austin, TX
Love re-writing these things.
I feel like rewriting the sales letters does not help me much in becoming a better copywriter...

It's a very mechanical process and sometimes I get lost in a thought totally separate from copywriting when I notice that I'm already half a page further... I can only focus on a few words at a time and feel like I'm not retaining much of the sales letter at all. Anyone else experiencing this?

They say that there are different learning styles like: auditorial, visual, kinesthetic etc. I have the suspicion that some people profit more from handwriting the letters than others because of their different learning style.

When I go through sales letters and annotate and highlight them, I think I learn the most. I recognize concepts from the copywriting books and feel like I am actually understanding the underlying concepts and patterns which make up good copy...

But for the sake of this challenge I'll handwrite the recommended sales letters anyway ;)

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Scientific Advertising done. How much does it matter about whether Tested Advertising Methods is 4th edition or 5th? I can only find 5th Edition in England

Last edited:

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
I've finished reading Scientific Advertising and The Boron Letters.
I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. Also, I feel it has already helped me, so can't imagine how much the whole challenge would benefit me!
Currently reading The Gary Halbert Letter Book. That could take a while (almost 1200 pages).

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Boarded the Gary Halbert flight and ready to read and soak up some knowledge with my fellow Copy friends! I hear this is how Yoda got started with his wisdom! :)

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
I feel like rewriting the sales letters does not help me much in becoming a better copywriter...

It's a very mechanical process and sometimes I get lost in a thought totally separate from copywriting when I notice that I'm already half a page further... I can only focus on a few words at a time and feel like I'm not retaining much of the sales letter at all. Anyone else experiencing this?

They say that there are different learning styles like: auditorial, visual, kinesthetic etc. I have the suspicion that some people profit more from handwriting the letters than others because of their different learning style.

When I go through sales letters and annotate and highlight them, I think I learn the most. I recognize concepts from the copywriting books and feel like I am actually understanding the underlying concepts and patterns which make up good copy...

But for the sake of this challenge I'll handwrite the recommended sales letters anyway ;)
I think I know the feeling. When I was rewriting sales letters (before that challenge) I used this method to adress that problem:
I would carefully read (you can do it aloud if that helps you) just one sentence of the letter, and then write it myself. And then do the same with next sentence, etc.
At first, it was hard to keep the concentration, but then I got used to it and it became a habit. Thanks to that method I was much more mindful and concentrated about what I'm actually writing.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
I think I know the feeling. When I was rewriting sales letters (before that challenge) I used this method to adress that problem:
I would carefully read (you can do it aloud if that helps you) just one sentence of the letter, and then write it myself. And then do the same with next sentence, etc.
At first, it was hard to keep the concentration, but then I got used to it and it became a habit. Thanks to that method I was much more mindful and concentrated about what I'm actually writing.

I have been doing something like this and it really helps.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

When you read a text and get lost in a mechanical process, something amazing happens if you do this consistently. You pick up the style of writing much easier. Human beings have a strong sense of identity when it comes to speaking and writing styles. Your subconscious is more likely to reject a incroaching writing style if your critical thinking is at work while reviewing a text. It's almost like your mind takes it as an argument and rejects not the info, but the style that it was written with. There is a reason Gary wanted us to do the challenge in a mechanical way. this dude knew his s***. Ever seen the movie inception? The concept is true, you are more likely to act on an idea if you think it is your own. Mechanical processes are usually enough to bypass your crit think long enough to implant an idea.

I've been studying this for years. I mainly used it to get customers of my painting company to buy extra services. I would throw some math at them and watch as the worked out the problem on paper, all the while hitting them with ideas. just before I would leave I would ask them if there was anything else?????? They would always ask about an extra service. 70% would actually buy the service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.