The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Future of web development - Asking opinions

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Art Vandelay

Avocado Fan
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 15, 2020
The Internet
Not too long ago I decided to learn web development. So far I'm pretty proficient with HTML and CSS and about to get into Javascript and then other areas.

My goal is to create sophisticated websites and web applications. Maybe as a freelancer for some time, or as a web development agency or building my own SAAS models.

I've been reading a lot lately on AI / Machine learning in relations to writing code and this is already being done to a small extend and obviously more mundane tasks are going to be automated. Look at text auto complete in apps like Visual Studio Code for example. Those things really speed up repetitive tasks and this will get better and better.

But there are also opinions of so called experts in those fields that say in the coming 5 -10 years or even sooner most programming jobs as we know it today will be mostly automated through machine learning.

Learning programming is awesome. I love it, I dig the challenge and enjoy creating things. But I'm starting to wonder if the effort I'm putting into learning things right now might becomes obsolete and wasted in the coming years.

Anyone wants to chime in and share their thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

nutleydotie

eCommerce Development Consultant - www.snazzy.ie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 13, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'd agree. 10 years ago people knowing HTML / CSS could charge decent money for making a website, in 2021 various page builders/sass exist that can allow the end-user to create their own website easily. All the technicals a web developer looked after are now hidden.

Have a look at Shopify and how it can help someone get a professional store online, compared to the base price of $10k 5-10 years ago.

For me programming skills are still useful, but only if your building something unique like your own sass project. Clients don't really care if a website is hand-coded, pre-made template or a page builder. Clients only care about the end result, how it benefits their business.

Personally, I'm using "Treehouse" to learn/improve my own coding skills, and build my own sideline projects, Sass, Themes, Plugins with the goal of recurring income. The other area I'm putting a lot of effort into is the actual content/strategy on a page to help get sales / conversions for a client.

These are the 2 areas I'd recommend concentrating on as neither will be automated any time soon.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
My advice would be to think about "programming", "web design", and "engineering" with more clarity.

Engineering, thinking algorithmically, solving problems faster and more efficiently, will never go out of style.

I think the example you use points to that: if you understand lower levels of abstraction, you can simplify them for others to use at higher and higher levels. You create an ability to perform the underlying mechanics more easily. That trend won't stop.

You can do a lot with python that would have been more challenging with C or C++. That's allowed more people to take advantage of that computing horsepower using higher levels of abstraction. It's not made software engineers go out of business, it's helped them become more efficient.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Solving problems is never going out of business. I have a lot of clients that can't even manage their own Wordpress website, nevermind getting into HTML/CSS. It's just one part of a business that even if someone could dedicate time to, they'd rather outsource it.

Yes, the environment is going to change over the next, 5-10 years. Just be mindful of that and always learning - truth is, it will probably help out a lot more than it will hurt.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Knowing how to code and approaching web design/development as a student who is always willing to learn and adapt to the everchanging environment is likely the best way to set yourself up for success. There's always more to learn and more problems to solve.

Also want to add:
I am not saying that one can't succeed with a no-code solution. But, it has it's limits and can make for additional problems.

Last edited:

wilburmluong

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 25, 2021
Los Angeles, California (US)
Not too long ago I decided to learn web development. So far I'm pretty proficient with HTML and CSS and about to get into Javascript and then other areas.

My goal is to create sophisticated websites and web applications. Maybe as a freelancer for some time, or as a web development agency or building my own SAAS models.

I've been reading a lot lately on AI / Machine learning in relations to writing code and this is already being done to a small extend and obviously more mundane tasks are going to be automated. Look at text auto complete in apps like Visual Studio Code for example. Those things really speed up repetitive tasks and this will get better and better.

But there are also opinions of so called experts in those fields that say in the coming 5 -10 years or even sooner most programming jobs as we know it today will be mostly automated through machine learning.

Learning programming is awesome. I love it, I dig the challenge and enjoy creating things. But I'm starting to wonder if the effort I'm putting into learning things right now might becomes obsolete and wasted in the coming years.

https://networkz.com.sg/best-web-development-companies-in-singapore-review/
Is Web development a good career 2021?

John Garrison

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2020
I'm also learning web development at the moment. I agree it's fun, but I am a bit concerned about the future of this path.

From what I can tell, just using HTML/CSS would be pretty limited. Difficult to find clients, unless you find a very narrow niche type of business to build sites for. Something that basically just needs a landing page with contact info and nice pictures, who would keep you on a small monthly retainer to update things for them as needed. Could probably set up some server rental for them as well if needed.

But if you move on to JavaScript the pool should expand a lot, especially if you add back-end server stuff and databases. That's my plan at the moment. About halfway through a JavaScript course, and am working on a couple of project websites both as learning experiences and to begin crafting a portfolio. After JavaScript, I think I'll look into Node.JS and/or React.JS. Possibly Python. Then MongoDB seems to be a good way to go.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

In the early 1990s the CASE software companies use to say programmers would soon be of jobs. By 1995, *they* were out of jobs. You were supposed to model your entire business using their flowchart stuff, and it would generate glorious COBOL for you. "Eliminate your whole staff, think of the savings!"

There have been computer programmers for as long as there has been computers, and I don't expect that to change.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.