The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Future bussinessman. What should I choose?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't worry too much about what the best path is for you to choose. There really isn't such a thing. You could major in anything and still become a successful entrepreneur.

How would I start? Focus on solving someone's problem that is right in front of you. Pick a problem that you, at 17, could solve. Here are a few that have been solved by 17 year olds:

1) mowing lawns
2) building an application to organize a music collection. (I believe it was Jason Fried of 37 Signals ...google him and read all you can... that built this and made $50k off of it as a teenager)
3) selling IT security services for websites - ok this guy was 18 when he started, but now, at 20, is making six figures selling his services directly to businesses. This is the son of a friend of mine.
4) washing oil-rig equipment at the drill site.

Don't pick a problem that requires skills that will take you years to acquire. Do pick one that will stretch you a little, though. Pick a problem that will play to your strengths. If you can't think of a problem to solve, pick something like mowing lawns. But, as you're doing that work, keep your mind open for other opportunities - either opportunities to grow your lawn-mowing business, or other opportunities somewhere else. There's no substitute for running an actual business because it gets you in the mindset of a business owner.

Once you pick a problem, break it down into bite sized chunks and start attacking it.

A great time to start on something like this is in college. I typically only spent about 20 hours a week between 15 units of classes and whatever studying I did.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn't worry too much about what the best path is for you to choose. There really isn't such a thing. You could major in anything and still become a successful entrepreneur.

How would I start? Focus on solving someone's problem that is right in front of you. Pick a problem that you, at 17, could solve. Here are a few that have been solved by 17 year olds:

1) mowing lawns
2) building an application to organize a music collection. (I believe it was Jason Fried of 37 Signals ...google him and read all you can... that built this and made $50k off of it as a teenager)
3) selling IT security services for websites - ok this guy was 18 when he started, but now, at 20, is making six figures selling his services directly to businesses. This is the son of a friend of mine.
4) washing oil-rig equipment at the drill site.

Don't pick a problem that requires skills that will take you years to acquire. Do pick one that will stretch you a little, though. Pick a problem that will play to your strengths. If you can't think of a problem to solve, pick something like mowing lawns. But, as you're doing that work, keep your mind open for other opportunities - either opportunities to grow your lawn-mowing business, or other opportunities somewhere else. There's no substitute for running an actual business because it gets you in the mindset of a business owner.

Once you pick a problem, break it down into bite sized chunks and start attacking it.

A great time to start on something like this is in college. I typically only spent about 20 hours a week between 15 units of classes and whatever studying I did.
The thing about jobs like mowing lawns can't really get you any further, and in my opinion it's a waste of time. You can make lawn-mowing business without any knowledge about it.

"Selling IT security services" - This thing ain't easier to learn than programming, and is not less time consuming.

Getting educated is a key thing unless you get an opportunity to run your own business which is worth it. I have a few side jobs that are earning money for me while im typing this comment, but they aren't like worth dropping out of college.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The thing about jobs like mowing lawns can't really get you any further, and in my opinion it's a waste of time. You can make lawn-mowing business without any knowledge about it.

"Selling IT security services" - This thing ain't easier to learn than programming, and is not less time consuming.

Getting educated is a key thing unless you get an opportunity to run your own business which is worth it. I have a few side jobs that are earning money for me while im typing this comment, but they aren't like worth dropping out of college.

You're missing the main point of my post.

Mowing lawns - tell that to the guys that run multi-million dollar lawncare operations that started from scratch when they were teenagers.

Selling IT security services - this is an example of something this particular guy was good at. (He was a hacker in his early teens.) What are you good at?

Opportunity to run your own business - these aren't handed to you. You make these opportunities - usually by building the business that you run.

Your current side jobs - this is what you can build from. How can you build these into something bigger? (before you say there's 'no way,' there ALWAYS is a way to turn a gig into something bigger. Look at the guys on here that make a killing cleaning floors, for example)

On education - the benefits of education are way-over-emphasized. I know several people with MBA's that don't make much. Not that you should drop out, but your real money making opportunities come from what you create, not from what you learn in a textbook.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
You're missing the main point of my post.

Mowing lawns - tell that to the guys that run multi-million dollar lawncare operations that started from scratch when they were teenagers.

Selling IT security services - this is an example of something this particular guy was good at. (He was a hacker in his early teens.) What are you good at?

Opportunity to run your own business - these aren't handed to you. You make these opportunities - usually by building the business that you run.

Your current side jobs - this is what you can build from. How can you build these into something bigger? (before you say there's 'no way,' there ALWAYS is a way to turn a gig into something bigger. Look at the guys on here that make a killing cleaning floors, for example)

On education - the benefits of education are way-over-emphasized. I know several people with MBA's that don't make much. Not that you should drop out, but your real money making opportunities come from what you create, not from what you learn in a textbook.
Very good points. I'm pretty good at selling stuff (I think so at least).
Is really programming as a backup plan in case my plan didn't go well + a way to make some money to invest later in my project that bad idea? Because that's kind of fun for me to learn it. If I knew any better option I'd take it right away. Or maybe you have some idea? I know it looks like "Yo dude, teach me how to earn millions" but I feel like I need someone to guide my unexperienced self to the right direction.

BTW, thanks for helping me. It brings a little light to the darkness I have in my mind right now.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Very good points. I'm pretty good at selling stuff (I think so at least).
Is really programming as a backup plan in case my plan didn't go well + a way to make some money to invest later in my project that bad idea? Because that's kind of fun for me to learn it. If I knew any better option I'd take it right away. Or maybe you have some idea? I know it looks like "Yo dude, teach me how to earn millions" but I feel like I need someone to guide my unexperienced self to the right direction.

BTW, thanks for helping me. It brings a little light to the darkness I have in my mind right now.

Here's the thing with your skills - you will likely undervalue them. To someone that isn't good at sales (like me), sales is hard as hell. To someone like you, its probably fairly easy. BUT... you think that sales is easy for everyone else, too, and therefore you undervalue that skill.

You have to get yourself out of the mindset of someone else solving your problems for you. Best way to do that is to start on *something.*

What are your top five skills that people would pay money for? To get you going, here are mine:

1) I'm personable and friendly
2) I'm easy to work with / flexible
3) I'm also opinionated and will push in the direction I think we need to go
4) I have a lot of business experience and can help businesses operate more efficiently with the custom software I write
5) I'm technical but can explain technical things to non-technical people.

Skill number 4 is the only one most people would identify as an actual skill. But, the rest of them, in the combination that appear in me, are in serious short supply out in the business world.

So...what are yours? Then...start brainstorming on how you could provide value to people using those skills. Use https://www.mindmeister.com/ to help you brainstorm.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Here's the thing with your skills - you will likely undervalue them. To someone that isn't good at sales (like me), sales is hard as hell. To someone like you, its probably fairly easy. BUT... you think that sales is easy for everyone else, too, and therefore you undervalue that skill.

You have to get yourself out of the mindset of someone else solving your problems for you. Best way to do that is to start on *something.*

What are your top five skills that people would pay money for? To get you going, here are mine:

1) I'm personable and friendly
2) I'm easy to work with / flexible
3) I'm also opinionated and will push in the direction I think we need to go
4) I have a lot of business experience and can help businesses operate more efficiently with the custom software I write
5) I'm technical but can explain technical things to non-technical people.

Skill number 4 is the only one most people would identify as an actual skill. But, the rest of them, in the combination that appear in me, are in serious short supply out in the business world.

So...what are yours? Then...start brainstorming on how you could provide value to people using those skills. Use https://www.mindmeister.com/ to help you brainstorm.
1) I'm a good seller
2) I'm good at promoting a brand
3) I'm a good leader (when everybody in my project were about to give up, I was the one telling them for MONTHS not to stop working because it will pay off, and eventually from 0h / month my team members started working 2-3h per day)
4) I have a lot of potential (the opposite of what I'm told, so I can't really know)
5) I NEVER give up. (This thing brought me the best I have in my life, my beautiful girlfriend who I'm with for over 4 years. And yes, I'm barely 17)

After a little bragging about myself I'm still kinda lost. I don't really know which jobs look for guys like me, but of course those are only the positives. My personality isn't so bright. For example my worst habit is being ALWAYS late, can't fix that since 1st grade, maybe I should now.

I will think about how I could get a good use of my positives, maybe some suggestions?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
1) I'm a good seller
2) I'm good at promoting a brand
3) I'm a good leader (when everybody in my project were about to give up, I was the one telling them for MONTHS not to stop working because it will pay off, and eventually from 0h / month my team members started working 2-3h per day)
4) I have a lot of potential (the opposite of what I'm told, so I can't really know)
5) I NEVER give up. (This thing brought me the best I have in my life, my beautiful girlfriend who I'm with for over 4 years. And yes, I'm barely 17)

After a little bragging about myself I'm still kinda lost. I don't really know which jobs look for guys like me, but of course those are only the positives. My personality isn't so bright. For example my worst habit is being ALWAYS late, can't fix that since 1st grade, maybe I should now.

I will think about how I could get a good use of my positives, maybe some suggestions?
I'm thinking of a few things you could do *right now* that would get you started. People are doing them on this site. I'm not going to tell you what they are, though, because you're still in 'do this for me' mode. With it, you could start small and slowly build. Only advice I could give you is: DONT get a job doing this. (not that working for someone else isn't valuable - it is - its a great educational tool). Struggling with this is good for you. As an entrepreneur, you'll be struggling with quite a few things (though you eventually have a lot of fun with it too)

edit: that's a great list of skills, though #4 isn't descriptive enough.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I'm thinking of a few things you could do *right now* that would get you started. People are doing them on this site. I'm not going to tell you what they are, though, because you're still in 'do this for me' mode. With it, you could start small and slowly build. Only advice I could give you is: DONT get a job doing this. (not that working for someone else isn't valuable - it is - its a great educational tool). Struggling with this is good for you. As an entrepreneur, you'll be struggling with quite a few things (though you eventually have a lot of fun with it too)

edit: that's a great list of skills, though #4 isn't descriptive enough.
Thank you sir. You've really helped me a lot. I will start doing things on my own. I'm greatful for all the advices you've given me.

Gruntpl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Dec 27, 2015
I'm in a very similar situation right now. I live in Poland too, I'm 17, 1-st grade. I joined this forum in the end of 2015. In december I had 0,36PLN on my bank account. As soon as I learned that it's not about me but other people and solving THEIR problems I've started making money. Not a lot of money of course but I've made 2300PLN so far just by doing some simple stuff for people (mostly freelancing).

I think that's the most important thing to do first. Learn to help people, earn some money and keep it for your future ventures. That's what I do and I'm doing well so far. It's not fastlane but in my opinion it's a good start. Ask @SinisterLex cause he's a lot more experience than I do. Try getting some simple jobs on upwork or oferia (Polish site very similar to upwork). That's just my piece of advice. :) Good luck !

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I'm in a very similar situation right now. I live in Poland too, I'm 17, 1-st grade. I joined this forum in the end of 2015. In december I had 0,36PLN on my bank account. As soon as I learned that it's not about me but other people and solving THEIR problems I've started making money. Not a lot of money of course but I've made 2300PLN so far just by doing some simple stuff for people (mostly freelancing).

I think that's the most important thing to do first. Learn to help people, earn some money and keep it for your future ventures. That's what I do and I'm doing well so far. It's not fastlane but in my opinion it's a good start. Ask @SinisterLex cause he's a lot more experience than I do. Try getting some simple jobs on upwork or oferia (Polish site very similar to upwork). That's just my piece of advice. :) Good luck !
Siema!
This is exactly what I'm gonna focus on right now.
Also, ask SinisterLex about what? Sorry for responding like that but I'm really confused :D

Javier Avalos

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 3, 2016
In the beginning of the book this is mentioned
"the answer is more of what you've been doing rather than what you haven't been doing"
Play to your strengths and see what it is you actually like, sports, books, travel... ect. See what it is you would mostly like to do and then produce a vision.
from there reverse engineer your outcome and fill in the gaps it takes to get there.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
In the beginning of the book this is mentioned
"the answer is more of what you've been doing rather than what you haven't been doing"
Play to your strengths and see what it is you actually like, sports, books, travel... ect. See what it is you would mostly like to do and then produce a vision.
from there reverse engineer your outcome and fill in the gaps it takes to get there.
This gave me an idea. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.