The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fundraising tip: Raise the round before it's even open

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016
One thing I have learned over the years of raising money is that it is often better to do a "soft ask" of a funding round, before it is officially open.

As an example, we're currently raising a small bridge round (500k) for a company I am running. Over the past several weeks I've had conversations with a couple dozen potential investors to gauge their interest on a commitment.

It is a much, MUCH easier conversation when you are able to say "Hey, here is our story, we're thinking of raising between X and Y, and the valuation will probably be something between A and B, but we are not asking you for anything right now. Would you be interested hearing more now, and then talking 1-2 months from now when the round is open?"

This makes it a much more relaxed environment as you are technically not asking them for anything and no official decisions need to be made that day, but they are able to give you their honest feedback.

Many investors are pretty open about what they are looking for and what they are worried about (e.g. they doubt you can scale as much as you're claiming, they may have doubts about product/market fit, concerns over burn rate, use of funds, etc.)

This also gives you time to address these issues when you make your actual pitch, as they have already told you what they're looking for. You've been given a glipse of how they think. This allows you to tailor each pitch slightly, based on who you're talking to.

You can usually get a pretty good idea of who'll be open to writing you a check based on their response.

This assumes of course you haven't changed the terms from what you originally told them.

This week I was able to officially "open" the round, and tell the group we're already over 60% committed in the same day. Want in? Better act fast.

Raising money is a bit like dating in the sense that it's often better if they know other people are already attracted to you. Nobody wants something that nobody else wants, and it's touch to pitch for money if no one else is interested.

Starting from zero is rough. This helps you alleviate that (a little).

This may seem simple to a lot of you but many people still don't do it. I've seen a lot of people open their round, then begin conversations. This can mean a round is open for weeks or months with no investors committed. The longer you stay at zero, the more difficult it can be.

Good success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lasombra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Dec 22, 2016
Chania
Ok,how am i going to start fundraising then? Shall i share money to all my friends and relatives in order to show that there are people who have already contributed?

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Ok,how am i going to start fundraising then? Shall i share money to all my friends and relatives in order to show that there are people who have already contributed?

Sorry, what?

Back on On Topic. Really insightful post. I've never had to raise funds or even been involved in a startup big enough to need investment, but I find this stuff really interesting.

Seems worlds apart from the businesses I have experienced. Raising those kind of funds in such a way makes it seem like a game to an outsider like me!

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016

I am not sure I understand your question. This is not advocating anything deceptive, but if you have a family member or friend that you know is willing to invest a nominal amount in your venture, then you absolutely do have a "pre-commitment" for your round.

If it is family or friends, it is best not to admit this when going to outside investors. Again, don't be deceptive, but they just need to know that you already have "investor(s)" that are ready to write you a check for X amount the moment the round has been opened. No one needs to know if it's a blood relation, and whether or not it may be true, family/friends are often called "dumb money" as they often invest just because they know and like you.

Once you have gotten investments, most new investors will ask for your existing cap table so they will have a list of who has already given you money (and often will show their previous valuations as well). This is a separate topic from the original post so I will leave it at that.

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016
Sorry, what?

Back on On Topic. Really insightful post. I've never had to raise funds or even been involved in a startup big enough to need investment, but I find this stuff really interesting.

Seems worlds apart from the businesses I have experienced. Raising those kind of funds in such a way makes it seem like a game to an outsider like me!

It is a game, but then again, the grass can always seem greener on the other side.

I am actually fascinated about the other side, i.e. businesses started by individuals here that are small 1 man shops posting mid six figures or higher profit per year while requiring few hours per week.

When you have accepted millions of dollars of investment, you lose a lot of the element of Control. Institutional money tends to frown on the digital nomad lifestyle whereas many of the successful posters here can live that way while having no one to answer to.

Lasombra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Dec 22, 2016
Chania
It is a game, but then again, the grass can always seem greener on the other side.

I am actually fascinated about the other side, i.e. businesses started by individuals here that are small 1 man shops posting mid six figures or higher profit per year while requiring few hours per week.

When you have accepted millions of dollars of investment, you lose a lot of the element of Control. Institutional money tends to frown on the digital nomad lifestyle whereas many of the successful posters here can live that way while having no one to answer to.

I do not seem to understand...so, success means that you are raising a huge amount in little time because of good marketing and advertising in advance???

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I do not seem to understand...so, success means that you are raising a huge amount in little time because of good marketing and advertising in advance???

Some business models need capital to get off the ground. Getting investors is difficult, especially when you're still in the idea stage. Most people won't invest if you have no proof you'll actually succeed. So, you have to sell your business concept just like you'd actually sell your product. And what people are buying is a chunk of your company in exchange for their money to grow the business.

So yes, if you're a startup that needs capital, you have a successful seed round by marketing to investors.

Lasombra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Dec 22, 2016
Chania
Some business models need capital to get off the ground. Getting investors is difficult, especially when you're still in the idea stage. Most people won't invest if you have no proof you'll actually succeed. So, you have to sell your business concept just like you'd actually sell your product. And what people are buying is a chunk of your company in exchange for their money to grow the business.

So yes, if you're a startup that needs capital, you have a successful seed round by marketing to investors.

Thank you for the bitter but clear answer... It seems that brainstorming is not enough, I have to be a salesman too to lift off... or a politician!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thank you for the bitter but clear answer... It seems that brainstorming is not enough, I have to be a salesman too to lift off... or a politician!

Not every business concept needs investment. I'm self funding my concept.

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016

Yes, this is very true. Being an entrepreneur does involve being a good salesman. In this instance you aren't selling your product, you're selling your ability to execute on your idea and bring your investors a good return on their invested capital.

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016

As Scot has mentioned, not all businesses need to raise capital. Many can be self funded.

In the case of fundraising, "success" is pretty black and white. Did you raise the money or not?

If I am looking to raise 500k and I only receive 40k of commitments, that's a big failure.

If I raise 400k, that's pretty good but I will need to adjust my use of funds accordingly (either lowering burn rate or accepting that the cash runway will be 80% as long as I was expecting).

If I receive 600k of commitments and am technically "oversubscribed", I have the option or either accepting the full amount, or changing the terms to be more advantageous to myself (likely meaning some of the 600k will pull out). This would be extraordinarily successful.

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016

If you were planning on starting a company without being a salesman in any way, I have some very bad news for you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida