The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FTE vs Contract vs Contract-to-hire

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

vert

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
Hey guys long time reader first time poster. Don’t know if this where I’m supposed to post this.

I’ve been at my current company 10+ years. I’ve got 5 weeks of vacation and currently doing some security work for them. In the middle of perusing a Cyber Security degree as it’s something that interests me. Since being at a company for that long I am being under paid and they are having me learn some different OS that I am not picking up as well as the company would like.

So in the mean time I’ve reached out to a headhunter. He kind of reached out to me. I’ve had a couple of interviews and it sounds like this other company would let me do contracting work for them. It would be contract-to-hire and not so much focused on security. It’s a 30% bump. The work would be similar to what I was doing before having to learn a different OS. System requirements like stuff. Vacation would start over.

All the side webpage business that I am doing now doesn’t generate near as enough as I’d need to not pick one of these two. It would be nice to have that vacation time to use it when I get another client or something comes up with class.

If I leave I’d have to eat the tuition reimbursement and lose 3 weeks of vacation. Money wise I’d still be up. I’d be a contractor. It would suck if they drop me.

If I stay I’d need to learn some different OS, keep the vacation, and have tuition paid for.

Anyone here ever left a FTE to contract? Just seems like it’s an unnecessary risk? If I’m into security it would be beneficial if I learned these other OS but I’ve been avoiding learning them. Both companies are fortune 500.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Too many variables here to give any solid advice.

If your skills are highly marketable, the risk of change is lower. Sounds like a 30% bump in pay would allow you to take time off while contracting without hurting you too much.

What other benefits would you be losing?

Sounds like you are a little uncomfortable where you are at. Are your superiors unhappy with your work?

vert

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
Too many variables here to give any solid advice.

If your skills are highly marketable, the risk of change is lower. Sounds like a 30% bump in pay would allow you to take time off while contracting without hurting you too much.

What other benefits would you be losing?

Sounds like you are a little uncomfortable where you are at. Are your superiors unhappy with your work?
Yeah lot of variables here. Just looking for advice on going from FTE to contract.

I'd get the contractors benefits for a year. Which aren't pretty but if I can get on full time I'd get better benefits than current.

The main things I've identified that I'm losing is tuition, vacation and not working in area security focused environment(which is what Im taking classes for).

Yeah I am a little uncomfortable with where I am at and relatively new to the area. It was an area that I trying to get into but I was kind of volunteen-told to go to it due to shortages(funding/projects) at work. I like it but I don't think its 100% tripping my trigger.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
One persons preference will not be the same as the next. Writing this out is probably helping you to analyze your decision a bit. I personally would not enjoy working in a spot where I'm not appreciated. Good luck with your choice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vert

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
One persons preference will not be the same as the next. Writing this out is probably helping you to analyze your decision a bit. I personally would not enjoy working in a spot where I'm not appreciated. Good luck with your choice.
Thank you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.