• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Uber is self-destructing from within

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by juan917, Mar 26, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
Tags:
  1. juan917

juan917 Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,152
    Uber's no-good, very bad month: The stunning string of blows that have upended the world's most valuable startup

It's pretty insane, here are some quotes from the article

Nily and jasoncuellar123 like this.
  2. Tony Tony

Tony Tony Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $497
    Sounds like Wolf of Wall Street culture

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. Ravens_Shadow

Ravens_Shadow Forging My Own Reality Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,148
    This gives other companies like lyft the break they need. Another company is probably going to swoop in during this time and ride off the coat tails of PR against uber and dethrone them. A good way to poach great employees from other companies is to have a better culture within your company. Should be interesting to see what plays out over the next year or so.

Better products and customer service isn't the only way to beat your competitors you know.

4. Rickchise23

Rickchise23 Passive Income Ninja I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,077
    Agreed. Always use lift just because they seem to treat the drivers better. It seems the same arrogance and elitist mentality that drove UBER to such success may in he end be the companys downfall. They need to realize that as much as their software is B2C, they also have to manage their B2B relationships with their drivers. Right now Lift is sitting pretty letting UBER spend its funding to break into these new markets while moving into position once the taxi mafias are taken down by UBER. Interesting time in Ride Share startups, I know in Asia there have been a few similar startups we will see which competitors can make some headway in light of UBERs turmoil.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
    Admin Post
    Curious to know if their driver pool will ever get depleted, or, are there simply too many people willing to work the minimum because it offers autonomy.

Sometimes I think both companies continue to find drivers based on the greater-fool theory. At some point, you run out of fools.

When gas, insurance, depreciation and time is calculated into a driver's net, they're usually making minimum wages. And yet, because a driver can "work when they want", it is acceptable. I think this is indicative on how much importance autonomy has in one's happiness -- people won't work at a fast food joint for minimum wage, but they will if they have control over when they have to work to get their minimum wage. I know when I was younger, I would have loved to have driven for Uber, just for the sake of making my own schedule.

Mckenzie, amp0193, lowtek and 15 others like this.
  6. northerndough

northerndough Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $127
    Millions upon millions of people earn minimum wage, and with part time jobs gaining in numbers every year, thus even more people just earning the minimum, I really doubt that their pool of drivers will ever run out anytime soon. Plus as you say, with the added benefit of working when they want.

7. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,784
    There are a couple of companies down here in Australia who are taking advantage of this right now and at least one in the U.S. A females only uber-style service. They pick up only females (and boys under 12). All women drivers. They decided to start up after all the abuse (mostly sexual I'd imagine) women cop in cabs and bad uber experiences. If upon arrival a man tries to get in they cancel the job and charge the person a fee. Seems to be taking off.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Rahde Jones, Nily, Andy Black and 3 others like this.
  8. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,202
    It's a fascinating case study to see how Uber's competitors (Lyft, for example) are responding and trying to capitalize on the bad press around the former industry leader.

To MJ's point above, I think the benefit of making your own schedule will always keep a consistent pool of drivers, as that flexibility/freedom is rarely associated with minimum wage jobs.

Fred Chevry and jpanarra like this.
  9. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,597
    Not to mention their failed self-driving car.

10. KSR

KSR Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,701
    Well, that's one way to fuck up a multi-billion dollar company.

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  11. OldFaithful

OldFaithful Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,547
    I can't imagine how this would work in the USA. Gender equality is such a hot topic, that restricting the service to female customers only, will certainly end up in court!

Rahde Jones likes this.
  12. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,575
    I'm of the opinion that Uber's current business model will be obsolete when self driving cars come into play. Uber seems to be making moves in that market though, so maybe there will be some changes.

Uber keeps shooting itself in the foot by operating illegally, rather than spending their VC money on lobbying at the municipal level from the outset. They're spending on it NOW, but they should have been doing it from day zero. Nobody likes taxis, and Uber could make municipalities way more money than they do from medallions (which the city rarely profits from anyway because of medallion resellers; they wanna see more of the pie). Uber could have gone in and said 'Hey city officials, wanna kill those pesky taxi companies for good and start seeing more of their money back into the pocket of the city? We could use it to lower taxes and secure your re-election. We'll bring jobs to the area, which will secure your re-election. Come on homies' but no, they wanna say 'fuck the police' and act like they're fucking Batman.

My problem with Uber is that it takes the 'maverick' idea way too fuckin seriously.

Rahde Jones and Raoul Duke like this.
  13. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,815
    This is a fascinating case, they grew really fast and hard so there wasn't enough time to really control and have a healthy company culture. Now they have to deal with a culture that grew on its own and much harder for them to steer it in the right direction and come across as an ethical company.

Lyft and other competitors should try to take advantage of this opportunity and plaster themselves as the 'honorable' company. look at that filth over there...

Same story with united and their competitors.

14. DVU

DVU In Progress Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,204
    Honestly, I don't think they will just crash and burn.

They are just too big to just crash and be gone. Lyft might take over the market in the upcoming years but in the meantime, uber will be making big bucks.

And even if they continue to fuck up the way they do(also pretty sure that media blows their "smaller" incidents out of proportion, because no one likes the new big kid on the block.) it is going to take a long time before it all goes to the ground. Plus, there is a pretty high chance they will get their shit together on a lot of these fuck ups.

I recently read an article about one of their incidents, and what did they do, show how much cash they are making and are worth.

15. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The Horrendous Space Kablooie Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,896

MidwestLandlord and Fred Chevry like this.
  16. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,575
    Doesn't exist

DVU and MidwestLandlord like this.
  17. DVU

DVU In Progress Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,204
    What I meant is if it happens it won't happen fast as everyone is predicting.

18. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $31,800
    I also think it's a pretty good case to support the fact that most people can't (won't) do simple math.

Any company that has it's workers pay for the majority of their job requirements will continue to attract people by omitting those costs and people will continue to ignore them.

College/Uni is an example I love bringing up because it's the largest "I didn't do the math" situation I can think of.

People will happily sit on their mountains of debt and proclaim that university is the obvious key to more money. Sometimes if you are lucky they may even have a 40 year old line chart to prove this.

When you ask them:
    - How much did you not make during those 4 years
    - How long will it take to pay down that debt
    - What's the value of the lost experience during those 4 years worth?
    - At what year do you break even on your education?
    - How much interest will you pay over the course of your repayment period?

They just stare at you like a deer in the headlines because they never even questioned those things. It's pretty simple math to get most of those numbers but instead they continue to file into the school system like cattle to an abattoir all chanting "At least we'll be educated!"

19. BradD

BradD Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $890
    The math gets even worse when said driver picks you up in a Tesla or insert other 100k+ auto here, never understood that one

20. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $116,978
    Ouch. Pretty vivid imagery.

Zero chance of a student thinking of those questions.

21. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,074
    Gender equality isn't gender equality, in the states. It's female supremacy. Such a service would be lauded by the progressive media and likely do quite well in the PR war.

OldFaithful and Harti like this.
  22. BookwormMitch

BookwormMitch Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $613
    Well Australia is the same as thats exactly what the media did with these companies

OldFaithful likes this.
  23. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $239
    What are the NEEDS here, i.e. business opportunities? I could smell...."problems, paint points, service deficiencies, emotions" (quote d MJ's book)