The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Juvenile Delinquent to Business Owner to Burnout to Author & Consultant

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
Hey everyone,

New to the forum but not to business or MJ’s work.

In brief…

At 21, I build a successful e-commerce and wholesale business, and within one year expanded into distribution with my own product line, and then maintained profitability for over ten years. I started all this with just $160.

Today, I’m still in business, and I’m also an author, investor, and consultant.

I’m a huge nerd when it comes to psychology and Eastern philosophy, and I’m also an avid martial arts practitioner.

I came across this forum a while ago, but never really stuck around to see what it was about... Recently a good friend (@Black_Dragon43) pointed me to some threads that really resonated with me. I see now that this place is populated with a myriad of intelligent minds, kind hearts, and relentless spirits.

A little more about me for those curious…

I come from a lower-class family in Los Angeles. As a child, my father broke his back and couldn’t provide for our family. Doctors told him he would never walk again, but thankfully, he proved them wrong. Unfortunately, just a few years later he had a heart attack - Fortunately, we got him to the hospital just in time for an operation. He made it and is still around today.

Having these experiences as a child and witnessing the lack of justice (he broke his back at work—factory worker—and lawyers failed to build a solid case) and support from extended family/friends led me to develop a chip on my shoulder as I aged into my teenage years. From what I remember, that’s when my judgment became exceptionally poor. Although I always maintained decent grades (always above a 3.0 GPA) I would ditch class often, argue with my teachers, and get into fights with other students. This troublesome behavior didn’t attract the best of friends.

My path took a turn for the worst when some kids that I had gotten into an altercation with at my high school showed up at my apartment with weapons. Long story short, by some incredible luck, or divine intervention, or whatever you want to call this terrible outcome, those kids ended up in the hospital and I ended up in a juvenile detention center with felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon and battery.

I’d like to say that’s when I had my wake-up call. That I was released and understood the burden I had become to my parents—my mother who was working multiple jobs to support our family and my father who was disabled and barely getting around. But that’s not what happened. Being the kid who got jumped and made it out unharmed gave me a reputation, and the juvy time added to that. Soon, I was hanging around REAL criminals.

I’m not sure exactly what triggered my actual wake-up call, but it was sometime a few years after juvy. At some point I decided that my life needed to change, and I radically shifted things around. Then, it was a few years later when I came across a book that changed my life. A book called Law of Success by Napoleon Hill. That’s when I started my business—and within 2 years began earning 6-figures.

Fast forward a few years, I began to experience some heavy burnout. To keep it short (because I’ve already written a good deal more than I originally anticipated), my values had changed, and my lifestyle needed to as well. Something within me told me to write a book, so that’s what I started to do. I began researching and writing. Then writing some more... and then more. I began having discussions that I never had before. Discussions that, I would learn later, added greatly to my life and those whom I talked with.

All in all, I realize that the more I learn the less I actually know. But from the little that I do know, I recognize that throughout our lives we tend to get in our own way. I suppose it’s an inherent part of the human condition. Along with that though, it almost feels like there’s an invisible little string that pulls us in the direction we should go. At this point in my life, my objective is merely to stay open and receptive—to become sensitive to that pull. That’s what I want out of my life: to do my best to not get in my own way, and to see where this invisible little string takes me.

EDIT: As pointed out in the comments, the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter where you come from or what you've been through, transformation IS possible. Sometimes, all it takes is one book, one story, one conversation.

Thanks for having me here & looking forward to what’s in store.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Incredible introduction, and quite a story. I appreciate it, and it's great to have you join the group. I can see we will benefit from your life and business experience. Hope to see and hear more from you.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I love stories like these. No matter your situation or background you can redeem yourself. Low-utility cognition and perception can be interdicted.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
Incredible introduction, and quite a story. I appreciate it, and it's great to have you join the group. I can see we will benefit from your life and business experience. Hope to see and hear more from you.
Thank you - and thank you for all the knowledge you share and for putting this place together.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
I love stories like these. No matter your situation or background you can redeem yourself. Low-utility cognition and perception can be interdicted.
Yes, absolutely. I know many people today who feel stuck by their past experiences, trapped by the story they tell themselves about what happened. On the outside, these dudes seem like tough guys. Some even seem like they got their lives together. Make good money. Family. House. Cars. Etc. But when you speak to them, it's clear that they live lives of quiet desperation. Why? Because the story playing in their mind is one where they're a victim of life's circumstances - and that leaks out in behavior & speech.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
and that leaks out in behavior & speech

When you rise to a high level of awareness you can clearly see the programming. Look at how gang members talk. Luckily it's possible to retract yourself from any kind of social conditioning.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
When you rise to a high level of awareness you can clearly see the programming. Look at how gang members talk. Luckily it's possible to retract yourself from any kind of social conditioning.
Agreed. And being human, we're all susceptible to programming/conditioning. Thankfully, with a little bit of awareness, we can make sure the things we're entertaining are of a positive nature.

A good question I often reflect on is: What am I NOT seeing about myself?

G

Guest103804

Nice introduction I am also a Napoleon Hill fan, so I get change as I said in another thread he was ahead of his time in writing, but I think MJ has got the up-to-date style equivalent making his books very worth a read Rat Race was where my latest idea dropped really and have started on it today with first main supplier looking like they are on board.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Hey everyone,

New to the forum but not to business or MJ’s work.

In brief…

At 21, I build a successful e-commerce and wholesale business, and within one year expanded into distribution with my own product line, and then maintained profitability for over ten years. I started all this with just $160.

Today, I’m still in business, and I’m also an author, investor, and consultant.

I’m a huge nerd when it comes to psychology and Eastern philosophy, and I’m also an avid martial arts practitioner.

I came across this forum a while ago, but never really stuck around to see what it was about... Recently a good friend (@Black_Dragon43) pointed me to some threads that really resonated with me. I see now that this place is populated with a myriad of intelligent minds, kind hearts, and relentless spirits.

A little more about me for those curious…

I come from a lower-class family in Los Angeles. As a child, my father broke his back and couldn’t provide for our family. Doctors told him he would never walk again, but thankfully, he proved them wrong. Unfortunately, just a few years later he had a heart attack - Fortunately, we got him to the hospital just in time for an operation. He made it and is still around today.

Having these experiences as a child and witnessing the lack of justice (he broke his back at work—factory worker—and lawyers failed to build a solid case) and support from extended family/friends led me to develop a chip on my shoulder as I aged into my teenage years. From what I remember, that’s when my judgment became exceptionally poor. Although I always maintained decent grades (always above a 3.0 GPA) I would ditch class often, argue with my teachers, and get into fights with other students. This troublesome behavior didn’t attract the best of friends.

My path took a turn for the worst when some kids that I had gotten into an altercation with at my high school showed up at my apartment with weapons. Long story short, by some incredible luck, or divine intervention, or whatever you want to call this terrible outcome, those kids ended up in the hospital and I ended up in a juvenile detention center with felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon and battery.

I’d like to say that’s when I had my wake-up call. That I was released and understood the burden I had become to my parents—my mother who was working multiple jobs to support our family and my father who was disabled and barely getting around. But that’s not what happened. Being the kid who got jumped and made it out unharmed gave me a reputation, and the juvy time added to that. Soon, I was hanging around REAL criminals.

I’m not sure exactly what triggered my actual wake-up call, but it was sometime a few years after juvy. At some point I decided that my life needed to change, and I radically shifted things around. Then, it was a few years later when I came across a book that changed my life. A book called Law of Success by Napoleon Hill. That’s when I started my business—and within 2 years began earning 6-figures.

Fast forward a few years, I began to experience some heavy burnout. To keep it short (because I’ve already written a good deal more than I originally anticipated), my values had changed, and my lifestyle needed to as well. Something within me told me to write a book, so that’s what I started to do. I began researching and writing. Then writing some more... and then more. I began having discussions that I never had before. Discussions that, I would learn later, added greatly to my life and those whom I talked with.

All in all, I realize that the more I learn the less I actually know. But from the little that I do know, I recognize that throughout our lives we tend to get in our own way. I suppose it’s an inherent part of the human condition. Along with that though, it almost feels like there’s an invisible little string that pulls us in the direction we should go. At this point in my life, my objective is merely to stay open and receptive—to become sensitive to that pull. That’s what I want out of my life: to do my best to not get in my own way, and to see where this invisible little string takes me.

EDIT: As pointed out in the comments, the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter where you come or what you've been through, transformation IS possible. Sometimes, all it takes is one book, one story, one conversation.

Thanks for having me here & looking forward to what’s in store.
Welcome aboard to the forum, Kudos on your journey and the successful turn around in your life, Keep excelling.

Your inspiring story makes it clear that focus and determination will get us everywhere we desire to be. The true tone on the forum is just that. You are definitely in the right place.

Enjoy every bit of the forum and thank you for sharing your story and your insight.

Cauchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 18, 2022
I would like to know what aspects of your book will be covered? Are you exploring your inner world?

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
Nice introduction I am also a Napoleon Hill fan, so I get change as I said in another thread he was ahead of his time in writing, but I think MJ has got the up-to-date style equivalent making his books very worth a read Rat Race was where my latest idea dropped really and have started on it today with first main supplier looking like they are on board.
Thank you! I think you're spot on about Napoleon Hill being ahead of his time. He has another book called Outwitting the Devil, where he actually didn't release it until YEARS after he wrote it because he felt society wasn't ready to hear the message in it. That one's actually one of my favorite books of his - it's very powerful. There's a free audiobook on YouTube if you're interested. It's structured as an "interview with the devil" and very easy/fun to listen to.

MJs work was great too, and definitely more up-to-date. I feel his work is more modern when it comes to business and a little more technical, whereas Napoleon's is more about mindset. I haven't read Rat Race or Unscripted just yet, but they're on my ever-growing list that I probably couldn't complete if I had 7 more lifetimes to live, haha.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
Welcome aboard to the forum, Kudos on your journey and the successful turn around in your life, Keep excelling.

Your inspiring story makes it clear that focus and determination will get us everywhere we desire to be. The true tone on the forum is just that. You are definitely in the right place.

Enjoy every bit of the forum and thank you for sharing your story and your insight.
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and the warm welcome! I'm enjoying this place already. :)

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Jan 6, 2022
I would like to know what aspects of your book will be covered? Are you exploring your inner world?
Appreciate the interest! Yes—without revealing too much so that this doesn't become an ad that goes against the forum rules—the book brings together philosophy and entrepreneurship to discuss HOW the human being experiences reality and WHY some people see a world others don't, a world that ultimately gives them an advantage in the marketplace and in creating life on their terms.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...