The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Iowa

TheGuy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Nov 5, 2018
Iowa
I'm pretty forum ignorant, so forgive me if this is in the wrong area.

I've read the MFL and am in the process of reading Unscripted . I'm inspired by the message, mostly because I've been trying to live the way MJ speaks in regards to life in general. As in, don't let life control me. I control life. I haven't tackled the money part yet, but I'm heading in the right direction. But I suppose you all will let me know if I'm not.

No college. Out of high school, I drifted for almost a year before landing back at my parents. Decided to join my step-dad on the roofing crew. That one decision pretty much dictated the next 20 years. Got married to the wrong woman. Adopted 2 kids and had 3 more.

Had a back injury that resulted in major surgery in 2013 that prompted an 8 year long prescription drug addiction. During that time, tried to help Dad take the company to the next level including an office and a small warehouse. This was my first taste of small business and some of the processes behind it. I tried to absorb everything and was introduced to my thirst for knowledge. It was mixed with the medication I was taking, so none of it stuck. I was so lazy.

My first and major FTE happened at the end of that drug addiction.

Had a few different jobs since then. From IKON account executive to meat cutter at Tyson's. However, I was on my way to work as a store manager for a local McDonald's. Already depressed more than I could possible describe, I suddenly had the thought of flinging my minivan off the road and over a bridge. After severe hyperventilating with my incredibly overweight body sweating, I made it to the parking lot of the McDonald's. I called them from the van and dismissed myself permanently from their employment. I went home and cold-turkeyed my addiction recovery. 15 no sleep days later, my life began new.

I prematurely left my wife without thinking how it would affect my children. I was finally free. I didn't understand that all my actions had consequences. I thought there were other people besides me that shouldered responsibility. I left. I started seeing my kids every other weekend before moving out of state. Out of state, I became a DJ. The owner of the company took me under his wing showing me the processes that he had for running his business. I don't know why he was so forthcoming with me, but I pounced on the opportunity to learn how to run a business from someone who seemed already successful.

While there I would only get to see my kids once a month which led to my second FTE. At the end of one of my nights DJing, I broke down and went back home. The ex had fallen apart and stopped caring for the kids. How could I blame her when I was essentially doing the same thing. Got a place. Got a job. Got custody of my 3 youngest kids. Brought a woman from my teenage years back into my life. Best thing I've ever done. My boys are athletes and straight A students now. I've taken their lives as seriously as mine.

While working construction again, I started a DJ business. More for hobby. It started to escalate out of my control so a stunted it's growth on purpose. At this time, I really didn't know where I was supposed to be or where I was supposed to go. I started my own construction company while still working DJing 5 times per week. Then I started a film company. At least, I started offering my services to film for money. All trying to figure out where I was supposed to be and why.

Then I picked up a book that lit a fire under my a$$ that I've never felt. I won't promote it here, but it kickstarted my Audible mastery. It's been about 4 years since that book and my life is completely different. To highlight the MFL in regards to monogamy, I decided to drop the film company part and next month is the last month for my DJ company as we shut the doors on that as well. This whole year has been focused on my construction company with renewed purpose.

Just like a business runs smoothly due to systems, I run smoothly due to habits. I have been chipping away at my personal habits for the last 3 years. I'm up at 4:30 in the morning every day, and by the way, it isn't hard nor does it hurt. I also don't feel that I'm sacrificing anything. I'm at the gym every day while still doing construction during the day and office work at night. I journal & meditate every morning and from reading the Miracle Morning, which led me to the Millionaire Fastlane , I've added affirmations and visualizations. I am also beginning to put together systems to run my tiny construction business. I am at the ground floor bootstrapping the hell out of this. It's me, 2 employees and the most amazing wife/office manager any company could ever have.

This is the first time I've put something like this together in writing so please forgive me if it feels disjointed. There's more to me than this story, but it's a foundation of who I am.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to connecting with all of you. And thank you MJ for putting yourself out there to say the things that needed to be said.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Wow, you have some really interesting background. I'm sure your experience could benefit a few members here !
How is the construction business going ?

TheGuy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Nov 5, 2018
Iowa
Wow, you have some really interesting background. I'm sure your experience could benefit a few members here !
How is the construction business going ?
Construction is going good. On a path to create more time to work "on" the business rather than "in" it. Coupled with the personal development foundation work, I find myself using most of my time. Piece of cake though. ;)

TheGuy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Nov 5, 2018
Iowa
Major kudos on turning your life around.

Where in Iowa? That's where I grew up, in the NE corner.
Central Iowa but originally from Cleveland. And thank you!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn, bad a$$ introduction. Appreciate the story and coming forward. So happy to hear your kids are killing it, now it sounds like Dad will be too!

Welcome my friend.

TheGuy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Nov 5, 2018
Iowa
Damn, bad a$$ introduction. Appreciate the story and coming forward. So happy to hear your kids are killing it, now it sounds like Dad will be too!

Welcome my friend.
Thanks MJ. It's been a while since I've picked up a book that's captured me like yours has. Well done sir. Well done. Still reading Unscripted .

My son's going to UNI here in Iowa and despite that unbelievable pull towards that outdated doctrine that still skirts the edges of my mind, I bought him a copy of the MFL and sent it to him. Being the "not know everything" Dad that I am, it was a hard conversation to have with your son in regards to how I should advise him about his future. Especially after your bombshell. Still a tough one but the journey is amazing! Can't wait until he finishes it. We have great conversations.

Thanks again for taking some life and whipping these books out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Startup Steve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 29, 2018
I'm pretty forum ignorant, so forgive me if this is in the wrong area.

I've read the MFL and am in the process of reading Unscripted . I'm inspired by the message, mostly because I've been trying to live the way MJ speaks in regards to life in general. As in, don't let life control me. I control life. I haven't tackled the money part yet, but I'm heading in the right direction. But I suppose you all will let me know if I'm not.

No college. Out of high school, I drifted for almost a year before landing back at my parents. Decided to join my step-dad on the roofing crew. That one decision pretty much dictated the next 20 years. Got married to the wrong woman. Adopted 2 kids and had 3 more.

Had a back injury that resulted in major surgery in 2013 that prompted an 8 year long prescription drug addiction. During that time, tried to help Dad take the company to the next level including an office and a small warehouse. This was my first taste of small business and some of the processes behind it. I tried to absorb everything and was introduced to my thirst for knowledge. It was mixed with the medication I was taking, so none of it stuck. I was so lazy.

My first and major FTE happened at the end of that drug addiction.

Had a few different jobs since then. From IKON account executive to meat cutter at Tyson's. However, I was on my way to work as a store manager for a local McDonald's. Already depressed more than I could possible describe, I suddenly had the thought of flinging my minivan off the road and over a bridge. After severe hyperventilating with my incredibly overweight body sweating, I made it to the parking lot of the McDonald's. I called them from the van and dismissed myself permanently from their employment. I went home and cold-turkeyed my addiction recovery. 15 no sleep days later, my life began new.

I prematurely left my wife without thinking how it would affect my children. I was finally free. I didn't understand that all my actions had consequences. I thought there were other people besides me that shouldered responsibility. I left. I started seeing my kids every other weekend before moving out of state. Out of state, I became a DJ. The owner of the company took me under his wing showing me the processes that he had for running his business. I don't know why he was so forthcoming with me, but I pounced on the opportunity to learn how to run a business from someone who seemed already successful.

While there I would only get to see my kids once a month which led to my second FTE. At the end of one of my nights DJing, I broke down and went back home. The ex had fallen apart and stopped caring for the kids. How could I blame her when I was essentially doing the same thing. Got a place. Got a job. Got custody of my 3 youngest kids. Brought a woman from my teenage years back into my life. Best thing I've ever done. My boys are athletes and straight A students now. I've taken their lives as seriously as mine.

While working construction again, I started a DJ business. More for hobby. It started to escalate out of my control so a stunted it's growth on purpose. At this time, I really didn't know where I was supposed to be or where I was supposed to go. I started my own construction company while still working DJing 5 times per week. Then I started a film company. At least, I started offering my services to film for money. All trying to figure out where I was supposed to be and why.

Then I picked up a book that lit a fire under my a$$ that I've never felt. I won't promote it here, but it kickstarted my Audible mastery. It's been about 4 years since that book and my life is completely different. To highlight the MFL in regards to monogamy, I decided to drop the film company part and next month is the last month for my DJ company as we shut the doors on that as well. This whole year has been focused on my construction company with renewed purpose.

Just like a business runs smoothly due to systems, I run smoothly due to habits. I have been chipping away at my personal habits for the last 3 years. I'm up at 4:30 in the morning every day, and by the way, it isn't hard nor does it hurt. I also don't feel that I'm sacrificing anything. I'm at the gym every day while still doing construction during the day and office work at night. I journal & meditate every morning and from reading the Miracle Morning, which led me to the Millionaire Fastlane , I've added affirmations and visualizations. I am also beginning to put together systems to run my tiny construction business. I am at the ground floor bootstrapping the hell out of this. It's me, 2 employees and the most amazing wife/office manager any company could ever have.

This is the first time I've put something like this together in writing so please forgive me if it feels disjointed. There's more to me than this story, but it's a foundation of who I am.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to connecting with all of you. And thank you MJ for putting yourself out there to say the things that needed to be said.

Everyone has a story. Thanks for sharing yours.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...