The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freelancing with no skills ?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Ok.

So the skills you have are as follows.

1) You know how to - hopefully - turn up on time, get on with things, talk to a wide range of people and leave them happy. Some of whom will either have their own little business or be starting their own little business. So keep your ears and eyes open when talking to customers from now on.

2) You know the secret language of plumbers. Whether to other plumbers or to the suppliers of plumbing equipment or building contractors who use plumbers, that sort of thing.

An important element of selling anything is trust. Which is nothing more than a feeling if you think about it. Whatever it is you decide to provide - whether physical product or a service,start with where you are as in both scenarios you will have a degree of trust from the start.

I am not suggesting you buy this on Kindle but this plumber is worth £70 million. The bit you can read by clicking 'Look inside' gives you an inkling of the differentiator he brought to the industry. (Back in the 80's and not even standard now)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U58TZ4O/?tag=

Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Ok.

So the skills you have are as follows.

1) You know how to - hopefully - turn up on time, get on with things, talk to a wide range of people and leave them happy. Some of whom will either have their own little business or be starting their own little business. So keep your ears and eyes open when talking to customers from now on.

2) You know the secret language of plumbers. Whether to other plumbers or to the suppliers of plumbing equipment or building contractors who use plumbers, that sort of thing.

An important element of selling anything is trust. Which is nothing more than a feeling if you think about it. Whatever it is you decide to provide - whether physical product or a service,start with where you are as in both scenarios you will have a degree of trust from the start.

I am not suggesting you buy this on Kindle but this plumber is worth £70 million. The bit you can read by clicking 'Look inside' gives you an inkling of the differentiator he brought to the industry. (Back in the 80's and not even standard now)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U58TZ4O/?tag=

Dan
Right, good point.

Hopefully these skills can translate into my freelance venture.
I just bought a 23 hours course on webdesign, I give myself 4 months maximum to hone my skills, then I'll start the hustle.

I know about Charlie Mullins, the guy is crazy,
I've heard him say in an interview that he only hired good looking people and he believe that it's part of his success lol. He did great though, I believe he's the richest plumber on earth

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
Yes and no.
As with anything else, you can get started pretty fast, sure.
To get good enough at it to get paid, you`ll have to put in the hours.
How quickly you`ll progress largely depends on your current skills and knowledge.
There is art to making a web design so dont think its like learning to ride a bike.

What other skills do people need you to learn?

I recommend you read: The ONE Thing
Its available on audible as well.

Proboboly not.
I`m no expert here, but I rather not hand over control of my inventory to 3rd parties if I`m going to be running a online store.

OP shouldn't read one thing. He still needs to figure out what hes best at, so he can start by learning web design but can drop it if he doesn't feel hes improving after hours of hard work.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
OP shouldn't read one thing. He still needs to figure out what hes best at, so he can start by learning web design but can drop it if he doesn't feel hes improving after hours of hard work.

Why shoudn't I read "One thing" ?

I won't quit, I am going to stick to it.
There's no way that I won't improve after hours of hard work.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
PS: Is Amazon FBA the best way to get started on E-commerce ?

You should listen to @Kak podcast with guest @MoneyDoc on a bullish/bearish approach to FBA

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
You should listen to @Kak podcast with guest @MoneyDoc on a bullish/bearish approach to FBA

Thank you sir ! I will.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Why shoudn't I read "One thing" ?

I won't quit, I am going to stick to it.
There's no way that I won't improve after hours of hard work.
One of the worst mistakes I've ever done was quitting after encountering some defeat.
"Nah it's not for me" I thought, every single time.
And guess what, with that line of thought I ended up nowhere.

Web design (and web development) is about solving problems and bugs.. Solving problems is the essence of coding. It's actually normal to experience defeat when coding. The key is not to quit.

I personally found HTML and CSS quite easy and fun to work with, but I'm hating JavaScript cause I find it hard. But there's no point in quitting just because you can't learn something. If you keep trying, you'll eventually understand anything.

Whenever I feel like quitting I tell myself "What makes you think that if you try something else, you will not face obstacles once again?", in the sense that, obstacles are in any path. If you try to avoid the obstacles, you are basically avoiding success and going to ground zero over and over again.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
One of the worst mistakes I've ever done was quitting after encountering some defeat.
"Nah it's not for me" I thought, every single time.
And guess what, with that line of thought I ended up nowhere.

Web design (and web development) is about solving problems and bugs.. Solving problems is the essence of coding. It's actually normal to experience defeat when coding. The key is not to quit.

I personally found HTML and CSS quite easy and fun to work with, but I'm hating JavaScript cause I find it hard. But there's no point in quitting just because you can't learn something. If you keep trying, you'll eventually understand anything.

Whenever I feel like quitting I tell myself "What makes you think that if you try something else, you will not face obstacles once again?", in the sense that, obstacles are in any path. If you try to avoid the obstacles, you are basically avoiding success and going to ground zero over and over again.
Exactly ! :praise:

I'm just not considering quitting as an option.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Generally when someone asks what to do when they have no (insert something here) I tell them to get that thing. We are all capable of doing that, you are in charge, so do it.

In this case, you need to build some skills. Don’t try to freelance without skills.

Don’t put the cart before the horse. Go get a horse (skills, not literally) and then, if you really want to be a freelancer, sell those skills.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Generally when someone asks what to do when they have no (insert something here) I tell them to get that thing. We are all capable of doing that, you are in charge, so do it.

In this case, you need to build some skills. Don’t try to freelance without skills.

Don’t put the cart before the horse. Go get a horse (skills, not literally) and then, if you really want to be a freelancer, sell those skills.
In my most recent thread I'm being told that just having the basics of Html and CSS will be enough for me to get started. This is really confusing LOL.

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In my most recent thread I'm being told that just having the basics of Html and CSS will be enough for me to get started. This is really confusing LOL.

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Try to check out some scalable business models.

You can absolutely start something that is bigger than our own skills.

You are just starting out... There is ZERO reason to sell yourself short and pigeonhole yourself into some freelance work. Just a word of advice you might be thankful for later or you might not consider at all.

If you want to at least ponder what I just told you... Go read Zero to One by Peter Thiel.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Try to check out some scalable business models.

You can absolutely start something that is bigger than our own skills.

You are just starting out... There is ZERO reason to sell yourself short and pigeonhole yourself into some freelance work. Just a word of advice you might be thankful for later or you might not consider at all.

If you want to at least ponder what I just told you... Go read Zero to One by Peter Thiel.

Definitely worth considering, thanks for the advice.

I only want to go freelance to replace my job, I don't intend to make a career out of it.

Thanks for the book, I'll read it as soon as I finish Unscripted :thumbsup:

leonrobinson1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jun 10, 2020
Jamaica
I have read on the forum that you can learn webdesign pretty fast, is it true ?

If it is, what other skills can you learn quickly ?

My goal is to go freelance and make enough money to quit my 8-5, and focus on building an E-commerce store.

Thank you, you awesome people :thumbsup:

PS: Is Amazon FBA the best way to get started on E-commerce ?

I've been in the web/graphic design game for 10+ years now, and yes, it's fairly easy to learn. The real challenges are:
1. Getting business - This ain't 1999 kid. Most companies have a website. Most of your projects will be website revamps by companies who believe their basic Wordpress site no longer represents their corporate image.
2. Getting good - The field is crowded, and in a world of templates, you will have to know HTML, CSS and graphic design to stand out.
3. Plug and play websites - You know Wix and Shopify? Well your potential clients know them too. Why should they pay you, an unknown, when they can use an established company? Costs more in the long run, but they have a reputation you don't.
4. Getting noticed - Need I say more?

Not to discourage you, but these are things to think about. As for e-commerce, use Prestashop, Magento or WooCommerce.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019
I've been in the web/graphic design game for 10+ years now, and yes, it's fairly easy to learn. The real challenges are:
1. Getting business - This ain't 1999 kid. Most companies have a website. Most of your projects will be website revamps by companies who believe their basic Wordpress site no longer represents their corporate image.
2. Getting good - The field is crowded, and in a world of templates, you will have to know HTML, CSS and graphic design to stand out.
3. Plug and play websites - You know Wix and Shopify? Well your potential clients know them too. Why should they pay you, an unknown, when they can use an established company? Costs more in the long run, but they have a reputation you don't.
4. Getting noticed - Need I say more?

Not to discourage you, but these are things to think about. As for e-commerce, use Prestashop, Magento or WooCommerce.

Yes, it is true. That is the reason why you should sell as a web designer the website in the second place. Creating the website is just a foot on the customer's door. Depending on the complexity of the website, the skills of the customer and his time, your real selling starts to show why it is important to work with you in long term. Like a monthly service, with a contract for at least 6+ months. Over deliver and you will increase your chances to get recommended to more offline businesses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.