The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freelancer making $140K/yr, how to double or triple?

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
DELETED BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OF POSTERS

this is what awaits society anyway ( total crash ) but i can't say it here. the audience is not prepared.
the first thing we learn in the psychology of influence is to adapt to the beliefs of the audience. we can't go too far or the audience will reject us. the audience believes everything is fine for ever, so we have to start here and say the same thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
User is banned for many things: Being a dickhead, an askhole, a forum thief, and god knows what else.

Classic case of a lost soul looking for an exact blueprint... and when people don't offer one that doesn't exist, everyone's an aHole.

Good riddance and good luck with the one-client, nine-to-five bro.

RockstarDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 10, 2019
User is banned for many things: Being a dickhead, an askhole, a forum thief, and god knows what else.

Classic case of a lost soul looking for an exact blueprint... and when people don't offer one that doesn't exist, everyone's an aHole.

Good riddance and good luck with the one-client, nine-to-five bro.

T_T

I wish you haven't banned this guy MJ... I think I can help him directly. He is probably a programmer who has steady remote gig and is looking to expand further. I can advise him on how to build upon what he is already doing instead of searching for greener pastures... he shouldn't get in competition in fields where he lacks experience and skills.

Is there any way I can DM him?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

No. There's a good reason why he's gone.

And if you have something groundbreaking to tell him, he doesn't deserve to hear it the way he treated people here.

masterjack

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 19, 2018
T_T

I wish you haven't banned this guy MJ... I think I can help him directly. He is probably a programmer who has steady remote gig and is looking to expand further. I can advise him on how to build upon what he is already doing instead of searching for greener pastures... he shouldn't get in competition in fields where he lacks experience and skills.

Hello,

I’m a full-stack web developer just starting out and I would love to hear what you have to say if you have the time! Please shoot me a DM if you can, or if you feel inclined to post here as it may help others. Thank you very much.

RockstarDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 10, 2019
No. There's a good reason why he's gone.

And if you have something groundbreaking to tell him, he doesn't deserve to hear it the way he treated people here.

I'm sucker for helping people ;)

Well... if you @Unleashed see this post, feel free to DM me either here or on Twitter. Programmers are specific and I understand why you thought people here were "not helping" (while they did).

And @MJ - I think that's one thing that was missing from your two books... the social component of succeeding. Then again, you are picture perfect realization of One Man Army concept... unlike Tony Robbins you don't push stuff you haven't lived. What you described in your books is definitely the best OMA approach.

RockstarDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 10, 2019
Hello,

I’m a full-stack web developer just starting out and I would love to hear what you have to say if you have the time! Please shoot me a DM if you can, or if you feel inclined to post here as it may help others. Thank you very much.

I think I will definitely do postmortem on this thread as soon as I'm done with my obligations for today. Then the rest of you can criticize what I wrote and hopefully we all improve as a result.

<3 my full-stack web developer bro.

D

Deleted50669

You sound like a whiny little bitch. You're well advised to listen to feedback, considering you were dumb enough to tie your entire income stream to a single client.

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
In the first page of thread all I thought was this guy was competing for ban of the year or something.

He definitely doesn't deserve the wealth of knowledge members will share. He could have stopped but persisted with the arguing.

Advice would have been to start something like the dropshipping instead of looking for an exact blueprint on how to. Not to mention we have enough information in this forum (non-INSIDERS) to write a million guides. INSIDERS are more like X guides per thread so maybe another million

Fassina

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2018
Brazil
I shouldn't help but I will. Make a course, teach freelancers in your niche how to get clients that pay well or whatever it is freelancers want in clients.

Sell it to freelancers with ads in places people in your niche frequent. Grow it by creating more products and upselling stuff to your customers, build an email list, basic stuff.

It's what I'd recommend, If you want to do dropshipping that's cool, good luck.

BTW I don't think this guy is a 9 to 5 five days a week, from what he wrote it seems he's working 7 days a week. His 140k might also be a multiplied average of what he's earning from this client for this particular job.

Which basically means he can't really invest in real state because he's not earning that much, he would if he could get a client that pays that much year around but he probably doesn't.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Well that was an unexpected ride...

RockstarDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 10, 2019
OK, this thread is for all of my programmers who are earning $140K+/year and want to take it on next level.

Re-reading what OP wrote I actually think he can do very well in business... IF he can restrict majority of his outbursts to people who are not immediately helpful to his effort. Big part of business is not settling and accepting what doesn't directly help you. If you can create friction and use generated energy - it can be quite useful... as you can see from this thread - people are coming to comment on it.

Another thing he seems needs addressing is that what holds most programmers back - analytical mind. In programming the first thing you do is to identify all variables (or at least sizable majority). In bizdev, you can never identify all variables. Rather you can estimate % and then decide if you want to go or not. There is also time component... if each passing moment reduces your chance of success - then you always go... even in cases where you have like 10% chance of success. If you can only lose by delaying - doing something is always better than doing nothing.

Considering that bizdev requires completely different approach, what I advise to most programmers - if they want to make more money - is to stay programmers. Don't start another blog / drop shipping gig / become manager / sales guy. Go deeper with your existing skillset.

As @MJ DeMarco advises in his book - what you are really aiming in life when it comes to money is to increase number of Golds in your Gumball Machine. For most programmers - their Gumball machine is full of oranges but devoid of golds. This is what you should be addressing - if you want more money your really should be finding better job / startup to be part of. And accepting that you'll likely need to accept paycut to pursue Gold opportunities.

Also, big part of why most programmers are making so much money is that they have specific skillset and competition for their jobs is scarce compared to other industries. When career switching you need to keep in mind that - if you can start dropshipping business in two weeks - so can everyone else. Start that new business and suddenly you are in new field with way more competition, where you need to develop skillset from zero. You now ask: But Rockstar, how come there are all these other people who made millions from dropshipping/blogs/etc?

The answer is simple - the same way MJ made his millions. It has to do with timing - MJ didn't start his limousine service in 2017 and competed with Uber. Guy practically invented CPA concept back in 1999. If you want to replicate his success you need to identify completely new industry the way he did. And not only that - you need to religiously dedicate yourself to exploiting that opportunity. This means 16 hour workdays and consistent focus. "Passive income" only becomes passive after you've pissed blood and tears for years. And in today's market you can be sure that your passive income will never be "passive" for too long. Otherwise MJ would still be owning Limos.com.

To wrap it all up: I would advise programmers against studying MJs success and following his path. This is because most of programmers lack his mindset and skills. Same goes for most advice on this forum - it is very unlikely you can develop side hustle while maintaining $140K/year income and competing on zero-entry barrier business.

Much better model to emulate would be Nathan Blecharczyk, co-founder and CTO of AirBnb. Read Nathan's life story and see that you don't need to become "business guy"... you really just need improve your technical skills, surround yourself with nice team and exploit untapped markets with creative approaches.

Another great model to emulate is Mike Krieger (Instagram CTO). Both him and Nathan show how much you can increase your potential to earn just by joining great startup early on and then working your a$$ off. Not guessing, not being bored, not re-inveting yourself. Just doing more of the same thing and trading your boring 9-17 for exciting 9-21 (that eventually can become 9:00-9:01).

TLDR:

1. Don't career switch, go deeper with what you are already doing.
2. If you are creating startup - timing is everything. No, don't create "next Facebook". You are 15 years too late.
3. Think about social component. Maybe all you need to do is join better team. Programmers can earn tons of money just joining the right team/company early on. Do that instead of starting yet another dropship business.

Last edited:

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
May I ask what kind of freelancing you do or which industry you serve?

- Edit, ok, I just noticed this thread really escalated lol..

Best,
Champion

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.