The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Formal vs. Informal Entry / Customs Bonds

prof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 21, 2015
Chiang Mai
It's my first time sending product to the USA and I'm a little bit confused regarding formal vs. informal entry.

From what I understand, a total goods value of $2500 is the marker by which your customs entry moves from informal to formal so there's a lot of advice out there saying for quicker processing and fewer fees keep your shipment value under this threshold.

That's all well and good but obviously there comes a time when your good value will exceed $2500 and it can't be helped and I haven't found a great deal of advise out there about that.

For me I have a rather awkward incoming goods value of $2800 which I guess means I'm going to need a formal entry.

My understanding is that for goods requiring a formal entry you can expect the following bolt on fees:

- Customs Entry Fee ($150)
- Messenger Fee ($15)
- Single Entry Bond Fee (Minimum is $65 but depends on product value)
- Bond Processing Fee ($15)

Alternatively if you purchase an annual bond for $500 you can save on the messenger fee, single entry bond and bond processing fee on each import for its duration of validity which is probably a good idea if you plan on importing 4/5 times a year minimum.

Now on top of these fees I can expect a duty charge at (Duty Rate Classification (%) * Product Value) and this is regardless of whether the entry is formal or informal.

So whilst I thought I had this all down, after quotes from freight forwarders who importing friends had recommended me to towards I'm left a little confused again.

Whilst one forwarder has included estimations as per above on all fees...

The other has given me a rather competitive price whilst claiming they will send via UPS Express and the only fees applied are a $90 landing fee.

I enquired about why there is no mention of a customs bond being required given my goods value is $2800.

They have told me that that is only required for "general" air freight shipments and not for "courier (express)" air freight shipments.

I'm not so sure about that?

Now I'm familiar that companies like UPS have agreements in place with customs allowing them to bulk clear shipments themselves.

But my understanding was they too have this Informal / Formal limit.

So I guess my question is - if you import via an express carrier like UPS with goods at value over $2500, do you still need a customs bond?

Can anyone advise of their own experiences?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It's my first time sending product to the USA and I'm a little bit confused regarding formal vs. informal entry.

From what I understand, a total goods value of $2500 is the marker by which your customs entry moves from informal to formal so there's a lot of advice out there saying for quicker processing and fewer fees keep your shipment value under this threshold.

That's all well and good but obviously there comes a time when your good value will exceed $2500 and it can't be helped and I haven't found a great deal of advise out there about that.

For me I have a rather awkward incoming goods value of $2800 which I guess means I'm going to need a formal entry.

My understanding is that for goods requiring a formal entry you can expect the following bolt on fees:

- Customs Entry Fee ($150)
- Messenger Fee ($15)
- Single Entry Bond Fee (Minimum is $65 but depends on product value)
- Bond Processing Fee ($15)

Alternatively if you purchase an annual bond for $500 you can save on the messenger fee, single entry bond and bond processing fee on each import for its duration of validity which is probably a good idea if you plan on importing 4/5 times a year minimum.

Now on top of these fees I can expect a duty charge at (Duty Rate Classification (%) * Product Value) and this is regardless of whether the entry is formal or informal.

So whilst I thought I had this all down, after quotes from freight forwarders who importing friends had recommended me to towards I'm left a little confused again.

Whilst one forwarder has included estimations as per above on all fees...

The other has given me a rather competitive price whilst claiming they will send via UPS Express and the only fees applied are a $90 landing fee.

I enquired about why there is no mention of a customs bond being required given my goods value is $2800.

They have told me that that is only required for "general" air freight shipments and not for "courier (express)" air freight shipments.

I'm not so sure about that?

Now I'm familiar that companies like UPS have agreements in place with customs allowing them to bulk clear shipments themselves.

But my understanding was they too have this Informal / Formal limit.

So I guess my question is - if you import via an express carrier like UPS with goods at value over $2500, do you still need a customs bond?

Can anyone advise of their own experiences?
In answer to your question, theoretically you do need a customs bond, but in practice, services like UPS will often process a shipment that is borderline over that limit, without requiring a bond.

You could save yourself the worry by splitting the shipment and getting your supplier to send the two shipments with a gap of several days between.

Walter

prof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 21, 2015
Chiang Mai
Thanks for that insight Walter.

If UPS for whatever reason did not want to process the shipment at that value what would be the process?

Would they just add on more fees or require you to somehow register with them as I saw mentioned in another thread?

Is there actually a limit whereby a company like UPS would say no we're not shipping this?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks for that insight Walter.

If UPS for whatever reason did not want to process the shipment at that value what would be the process?

Would they just add on more fees or require you to somehow register with them as I saw mentioned in another thread?

Is there actually a limit whereby a company like UPS would say no we're not shipping this?

As a foreign resident, they would probably require you to appoint them as Importer Of Record (IOR). They will charge a fee for this service, and will require you to sign a CPBP Power of Attorney. They should not require you to purchase a Continuous Transaction Bond (CTB), unless you are sure that you will be making a number of imports each year.

I have never known any courier service to place an upper limit on shipment value.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.