The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forget Creating An App. Make Money Flipping Them Instead!

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
The problem with that site is a lot of people want way too much for what the app is worth. You find apps that get $0 revenue and few downloads and they want, $5000, $10000, or more. Doesn't make sense to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
The problem with that site is a lot of people want way too much for what the app is worth. You find apps that get $0 revenue and few downloads and they want, $5000, $10000, or more. Doesn't make sense to me.

Just send them a message that you can have their exact app created by a Eastern European or Chinese developer for about $3000 or less and ask if they want to reconsider their asking price.

The other big problem with apps, that Apple or Google needs to address pretty quickly is that if someone buys an app, you have no real way of communicating with that customer, so even if an app has sold 5000 copies, and you buy the rights to the app, the 5000 are untouchable to you to market additional products.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Just send them a message that you can have their exact app created by a Eastern European or Chinese developer for about $3000 or less and ask if they want to reconsider their asking price.

The other big problem with apps, that Apple or Google needs to address pretty quickly is that if someone buys an app, you have no real way of communicating with that customer, so even if an app has sold 5000 copies, and you buy the rights to the app, the 5000 are untouchable to you to market additional products.

The other thing with apple if I understand it correctly, you could loose all those customers too. When you buy an app from someone, they either have to sell your their dev account or you have to resubmit the app. So if you have to resubmit, it is like starting over. There is no way to just transfer 1 app from a portfolio and keeping everything untouched.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

If people are buying them, then we should make a couple shitty apps for 1k and sell them on there for 5k! :smug2:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If people are buying them, then we should make a couple shitty apps for 1k and sell them on there for 5k!
wow, just found my fastlane! Thanks!

Now, seriously, this is a GREAT point.

If the market pays $5K for something, and you can build it for $1K, spend every hour of your day building these things.... no?

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I thought about it but the ones that sell for $5000 or so look like they cost close to that to make.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I thought about it but the ones that sell for $5000 or so look like they cost close to that to make.

I would think with a focus on appealing UI design, you could make a 1k app look like its worth more, its only a question of if people are actually buying these or if they just sit on the marketplace?

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
You can look at the sold ones and some sell for <$1000 and some are in the >$5000 range.
I'd rather spend $5000-10000 creating an app I think will be successful on its own.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I will do nothing with this knowledge. its pure curiosity. why does making an app cost money?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I will do nothing with this knowledge. its pure curiosity. why does making an app cost money?
The same reason making anything costs money...labor.

Whether it's digging raw materials out of the ground and piecing something together or writing lines of code and doing design..it all takes man hours.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
The same reason making anything costs money...labor.

Whether it's digging raw materials out of the ground and piecing something together or writing lines of code and doing design..it all takes man hours.

so.. do it yourself?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
so.. do it yourself?
I value my time at a higher rate than my developer charges me. He also has the required skills that I lack. Am I willing to spend years learning how to code or should I work a couple of days doing what I'm good at and pay someone to utilize their hard earned skill set and do it for me? I wouldn't attempt to make a car or build a house either. Their are people out their that specialize in that sort of thing.

Where is your time best spent? Having something built or learning to build and never getting a product off of the ground?

FYI..I don't hunt for my own food either.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I could do a polyphasic sleep schedule for 2 wees, learn basic objective c, write 4 apps, and make 20k :fastlane: or I could do that for 2 weeks, and the apps wont sell for anything over $200 bucks, not a good gamble (even though it sounds fun :eek:)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I value my time at a higher rate than my developer charges me.
This is a good point.

How much do you make per hour? How much do you pay your developer?

How many hours of your work would you need to have the developer build an app for you?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
This is a good point.

How much do you make per hour? How much do you pay your developer?

How many hours of your work would you need to have the developer build an app for you?
I'm assuming these are questions that people should be asking themselves and not directed at me so instead of answering them I'll throw another one out there.

How long will it take you to learn the skills a developer already has?

I've never heard someone tell an importer of widgets from China that they should be hand producing these widgets if they're going to be selling them. It always seems to be the case with software for some reason.

People say time = money but it is money that equals time. Money is a tool to utilize other peoples time..that is all it is. It allows you to pull from the efforts of others. Whether that is in the form of a car, a service, or lines of code, it is the efforts of men that you are acquiring. There is no free..time is finite..by spending your time doing or pursuing something you are placing a value on that.

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I disagree with this. If the app logic is in place, a facelift is quite easy to do. Also, some brilliant programmers don't get the marketing aspect of an app. You cannot create an app and throw it on the app store and expect it to do well. But if you already have a stream of traffic in a specific niche, an email list in the niche and you could find a poorly marketed app for sale that would appeal to your niche, purchase it, give it a facelift and rebrand, then set it front of your stream of traffic and you could do really well with it.

I tend to concur with this. I work with a little less than half a dozen web designers and I have college classmates that work at MAJOR tech firms and there is money in the app game just as in the web game.

Let's face it, a lukewarm idea/app marketed correctly will ALWAYS out perform a great idea that is on your computer in your bedroom. Remember, every human being has their lane. What I mean by lane is, skill or gift or trade.

In my experience most people that are talented at tech or music did not get the lane of knowing how to market and promote. More often than not, it has to be a partnership. Someone has to build/create said good or service and someone else has to have the ability to turn water into wine. No one, and I mean no one, creates wealth as an island. Wealth building is interdependent.

BTW, I am checking this app site out today. OP, thanks for the drop.

Just my wooden nickel.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.