The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forbes highest youtube earners

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
PewDiePie made $12m last year. Wow! Sick! Fastlane city!

His channel has over ten billion views.

Ten billion.

If he'd gotten just a penny, just one not-worth-bending-over-to-pick-it-up penny from every viewer, he'd be worth $100m.

Thing is, someone did get that penny, and more: Google. While PewDiePie made $12m, Google probably made $40m on his hard work.

Then, consider that he's a Sweed.

Their tax rate at his income bracket? 60%.

So PDP busted his a$$. He took home 6 million, the swiss government took home six, and Google probably took home 20 or more after taxes.

Are you driving the fastlane... Or riding it?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Ten billion.

If he'd gotten just a penny, just one not-worth-bending-over-to-pick-it-up penny from every viewer, he'd be worth $100m.

Thing is, someone did get that penny, and more: Google. While PewDiePie made $12m, Google probably made $40m on his hard work.

So PDP busted his a$$. He took home 6 million, the swiss government took home six, and Google probably took home 20 or more after taxes.

I was thinking the same thing

He's the best of the best out of millions and he only made 12m INCLUDING product placements??

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney

Ten billion.

Not trying to disregard what you're saying, but I don't think he started making YouTube videos for the sake of "driving the fastlane". Edit: I just checked, and the first video he made was in 2010 and he's just messing around and having fun and eventually people who enjoyed people like him started following his channel and so on.

I'm not a fan of him really, and to be completely honest I find his whole persona as annoying and cringey, but there is a large amount of people who obviously like him, and I'm not going to hate on him just because he doesn't appeal to me.

I have watched a couple of videos way back, and it's obviously that he really has fun with what he's doing and regardless of the fact that he's working extremely hard to create this content for his 40M~ fans, he enjoys it.

He's doing what he loves every single day of his life, making $6M from just views. Perhaps he's not the entrepreneurial type trying to extract every single dollar from every who watches him regularly? Despite this however, he does have a website with merchandise and with his insane amount of subscribers, it's safe to say he's made a ton from people buying his stuff.

Regardless of his countries government taking a lot of his earnings as tax (by the way Swiss is for Switzerland, Swedish for Sweden), he's living his dream.

That's pretty fastlane to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
You seem to be thinking that I'm bringing this up because I dislike PDP. I've never watched him, I'm sure he's a great guy. Absolutely none of this is coming from an opinion on him, and all of it is coming from my opinion of YouTube itself:

He's doing what he loves every single day of his life, making $6M from just views.

You should find behind the scenes interviews with Ben Croshaw or Matt Farah or the like. They drive Paganis and play video games for a living. Doing what they love, right?

No, doing what they loved. I've heard tons of automotive journalists and video game critics say that they can't even enjoy a video game recreationaly or a simple drive anymore. Once you get into this game the crush to create content dominates every waking hour-that's what it's all about. Your favorite thing, the thing that was most effortless and free and fun, becomes an agonizing circle of stopping and starting as you take notes, reset shots, check light, check tone, restart, stop, restart, repeat, then edit every 10 minute clip for 6-8 hours until the sound of your own voice makes you almost homicidal, every joke is so worn by the time you've shot it 4 times and cut it six times to get that last frame exactly right that. Then you've got the launch, you have to make sure it goes out at the right time of day, plug the right people, your sponsor wanted the can in the shot for 20 seconds and it was only in for 12, etc. etc.

Youtube is a side-show. It is to fastlaners what the NBA is to kids in the ghetto-A platform where tens get rich and tens of thousands waste time living hand to mouth to provide content basically for free. Literally having six customers at $20 profit each will net you the same return as 175,000 YouTube views. Consider that PDP is the *richest* YouTuber ever, and he made $6M last year after taxes. Read up on MJ's stuff on the forums here; when he was trucking during the height of his business he was sometimes making a million dollars profit *a month.* And MJ is, very respectfully, a minor success story in the annals of business.

Consider that to be the literal Guinness World Record holder for most popular YouTuber:

pewdiepiegb.jpg

Nets you probably a smaller return per year as having a "successful and moderately popular website" did a decade ago.

In contrast, the world record holder for CEO pay last year was the CEO of the Discovery Channel, who took home $156,077,912, double PDP's lifetime net worth in a single year. CEO-Founders are often worth even more, tens of billions, with the value of their stock ballooning every year.

No hate on PDP-He's extremely successful, extremely driven, and extremely rich for someone his age. No doubt he has a better shot than most at being a billionaire if he's worth 50 million now at age 24, the leverage of his fame alone will net him millions in the years to come.

But while he smiled making tens millions, Google laughed, making hundreds of millions off of him. And don't get me started on the companies that paid google those hundreds of millions to advertise through his channel. They made tens of billions.

PDP's labor produced a bigger windfall for someone else than it did for him. He lacked control, so someone else reaped greater rewards from his efforts than he did. That's why, if you're just starting this journey, you shouldn't get enticed by those numbers. Look at what really is going on, and do the logical thing. Do what MJ said:

Play the odds.

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney
You seem to be thinking that I'm bringing this up because I dislike PDP. I've never watched him, I'm sure he's a great guy. Absolutely none of this is coming from an opinion on him, and all of it is coming from my opinion of YouTube itself:

You should find behind the scenes interviews with Ben Croshaw or Matt Farah or the like. They drive Paganis and play video games for a living. Doing what they love, right?

No, doing what they loved. I've heard tons of automotive journalists and video game critics say that they can't even enjoy a video game recreationaly or a simple drive anymore. Once you get into this game the crush to create content dominates every waking hour-that's what it's all about. Your favorite thing, the thing that was most effortless and free and fun, becomes an agonizing circle of stopping and starting as you take notes, reset shots, check light, check tone, restart, stop, restart, repeat, then edit every 10 minute clip for 6-8 hours until the sound of your own voice makes you almost homicidal, every joke is so worn by the time you've shot it 4 times and cut it six times to get that last frame exactly right that. Then you've got the launch, you have to make sure it goes out at the right time of day, plug the right people, your sponsor wanted the can in the shot for 20 seconds and it was only in for 12, etc. etc.

Youtube is a side-show. It is to fastlaners what the NBA is to kids in the ghetto-A platform where tens get rich and tens of thousands waste time living hand to mouth to provide content basically for free. Literally having six customers at $20 profit each will net you the same return as 175,000 YouTube views. Consider that PDP is the *richest* YouTuber ever, and he made $6M last year after taxes. Read up on MJ's stuff on the forums here; when he was trucking during the height of his business he was sometimes making a million dollars profit *a month.* And MJ is, very respectfully, a minor success story in the annals of business.

Consider that to be the literal Guinness World Record holder for most popular YouTuber:

pewdiepiegb.jpg

Nets you probably a smaller return per year as having a "successful and moderately popular website" did a decade ago.

In contrast, the world record holder for CEO pay last year was the CEO of the Discovery Channel, who took home $156,077,912, double PDP's lifetime net worth in a single year. CEO-Founders are often worth even more, tens of billions, with the value of their stock ballooning every year.

No hate on PDP-He's extremely successful, extremely driven, and extremely rich for someone his age. No doubt he has a better shot than most at being a billionaire if he's worth 50 million now at age 24, the leverage of his fame alone will net him millions in the years to come.

But while he smiled making tens millions, Google laughed, making hundreds of millions off of him. And don't get me started on the companies that paid google those hundreds of millions to advertise through his channel. They made tens of billions.

PDP's labor produced a bigger windfall for someone else than it did for him. He lacked control, so someone else reaped greater rewards from his efforts than he did. That's why, if you're just starting this journey, you shouldn't get enticed by those numbers. Look at what really is going on, and do the logical thing. Do what MJ said:

Play the odds.

Thank you for your well thought out response.

Sorry if I implied that I believed that you disliked PDP, I wasn't meaning to.

While the case of extremely hard work is true and would get irritating, I believe that being a huge personality and having a loyal following is something PDP also enjoys aside from his work and money, otherwise he would've stopped doing all this a long time ago.

In regards to being a pawn for Google, I don't really think PDP is viewed as a cash cow making them hundred of millions of dollars. PDP has a lifetime view count of 10B. YouTube has 4B views daily. If we use a conservative estimate of only 50% of videos having ads displayed on them, Google makes the same amount of money from YouTube in 5 days what they've made through PDP's entire career.

The fact that Google benefited more than PDP from his hard work is an argument that I believe, is meaningless just because he's fraction of a fraction of a fraction in the eyes of Google, whereas YouTube is PDP's everything and is what allowed him to reach where he is right now.

I'm regards to the video game player and car driver (both of which I've never heard of, just to let you know), neither have the loyal following, huge fan base and influence as a personality even comparable to PDP. PDP has a very close relationship with his viewers and the experience of someone who follows him is very different from say, a film actor who is very foreign, whereas PDP is personally in that individual's subscription list everyday, meaning he provides a whole lot more value.

I'm not advising becoming a huge YouTube personality as a viable Fastlane path, just saying that what we may regard as being used by corporations, drained by governments and tedious, irritating labour, might be the dream for someone else.

Both arguments have their merits.

Edit: And where did you get the figure of his net worth being $50M?

I think the annual salary of the Discovery channel's CEO being that much more than PDP's is completely irrelevant because he's not only 30 years older to reach where he is but he has a SHIT TON more responsibilities than PDP who essentially, only has a YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

pewdiepiegb.jpg

Play the odds.
Still, for someone who was never interested in making money and doesn't have an entreprenurial mindset.
I have to respect PDP, he does what he wants and gets payed millions, for alot of people that's enough.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Still, for someone who was never interested in making money and doesn't have an entreprenurial mindset.

That's a pretty big assumption there Luffy. You don't build up 40 millon subscribers and 10BN impressions over multiple years by accident.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Youtube is a side-show. It is to fastlaners what the NBA is to kids in the ghetto-A platform where tens get rich and tens of thousands waste time living hand to mouth to provide content basically for free.

I particularly like this part.

I don't watch the NBA but the same principle applies in the NFL. Every year I see the same happy stories of the guy who made it out of the rough inner city area plagued by gang violence, how he avoided going to prison like his Dad or getting shot like his brother, and now he's playing in front of all those people on Sundays and getting paid. If he does amazingly well he gets the big fat second contract of say 10 million per year and all the attention of everyone related to him or who ever knew him at school who just needs some $ right now because of some misfortune.

The story changes slightly with every telling and involves different names since it's a pipeline, and eventually our original guy gets older, slower and his team makes the choice one day to cut him. Note they make the choice, not him, in the same way you choose what you want for dinner. He doesn't want to let go of this amazing ride of being one of the small percentage who made it this far, so he moves all over the place trying out for different teams, doing anything he can to impress and rekindle some of the light that is fading. But eventually he disappears from the news and watches as people cheer for younger guys on Sunday. Once he's been milked dry by every relative and hanger on he ends up broke and working for minimum wage with no more blinged up parties and fancy cars. He at least has nice memories as long as he didn't take too many hits, but is never likely to have a similar lifestyle again.

Meanwhile as the next crop of talent is going through their happy 20s and collecting their cheques they get their face up on TV and say what college they're from and they bask in the attention. A new generation looks up to them and tells their parents/schoolmates that is who they want to be like. A few minutes later in the broadcast they show owner Robert Kraft/Jerry Jones/Whoever sitting comfortably in his fancy Owner's Box watching his team while eating/drinking/chatting with no risk of someone blindsiding them at full pace or getting a leg snapped. They were there 10 years ago when our first guy was the star, and while looking a bit wrinklier now they're still cashing in and the value of their team is still rising. They can sit back and do that until they're dead. Assuming they don't do coke on live TV on Monday Night Football they probably won't be getting called into anyone's office to get told they're getting cut or traded to Buffalo.

When I was younger and stupider I admired the achievements, fame and apparent fortune of the first group. The older I get the more I realise I was looking at pawns, albeit temporarily well paid ones, of the second group.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
That's a pretty big assumption there Luffy. You don't build up 40 millon subscribers and 10BN impressions over multiple years by accident.
Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying it's an accident. He even mentioned that he chose the game-playing niche because no one was doing what he wanted to do so he already had a plan to be different. It's only after that took off that he decided to expand with creating other products/services. My point is I don't doubt he would still do it even if he wasn't making as much as he currently is.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
12m sounds suspicious to me. Don't buy the taxes must have killed him argument either. Surely he would have registered a company in Zurich or wherever the best tax haven is for this and just hired an employee there for minimum wage?

I'm a neophyte at all this but, it sounds off to me.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Interesting Article & thanks for posting it.

Youtube has only been around for a little over a decade and look how it has changed so fast within that short time frame. Most creators on youtube only make money through adsense. Youtube star's will be just like any other celebrity they will come and go & eventually get burned out because there's only so much free content you can create without hating what your doing.

We are all here because we believe in the Fastlane principles (CENTS). I follow youtube very closley & enjoy watching a lot of the people on the platform. You are starting to see the difference between the Slowlane Youtubers & the FASTLANE Youtubers. For example:

My favorite person that has made Youtube scale is Michelle Phan. She went from just making youtube videos about health and beauty to scaling it massively & detaching her time to her businesses. You guys should check her out. Very Fastlane.

Source Wikipedia

Phan became a YouTube advertising partner and launched FAWN, a YouTube MCN (multi-channel network), in 2012. (Makers Studios a Youtube MCN sold to disney for over 500m)

Phan launched "Ipsy" in 2012 a monthly beauty products subscription service.

On August 15, 2013, L'Oreal launched a new cosmetic line called em by Michelle Phan (50/50 Partners)

The Icon network launched on April 1, 2015. Phan announced her partnership with Endemol Beyond USA to build a talent network that will feature people from YouTube and create content for millennials.

In September 2014, Phan partnered with Cutting Edge Group (CEG) to launch Shift Music Group.

In 2015 Michelle Phan raises $100 million to value the company Ipsy at over $500 million.

All i got to say my friends is. THIS GIRL IS FASTLANE. While everyones eyes are glazed over because pewdiepie made 6m through adsense. This girl is 28 and is probebely making 6m in 1 month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.