The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forbes: Door-to-Door Selling as the First Step to Billions

Have you/would you ever sell door-to-door?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
This article is by Gillian Zoe Segal, the author of Getting There: A Book of Mentors.

Excerpt:

"Before you shell out $160,000 on a business school education, you might want to consider spending a couple of years as a door-to-door salesman instead. That’s what I learned as I researched and wrote my new book, Getting There: A Book of Mentors, in which 30 leaders in a broad range of fields tell about their rocky road to the top. I was surprised to find out how many of them credited early shoe-leather sales jobs for equipping them with the skills they needed for their ultimate success.

John Paul DeJoria, co-founder of the Patrón Spirits Company and John Paul Mitchell Systems, called his three-year stint selling Collier’s Encyclopedia one of the most formative experiences of his life. “If that job existed today,” he says, “I would make every one of my kids do it.”

DeJoria went door-to-door persuading strangers to buy a set of encyclopedias. This forced him to both hone his powers of persuasion and overcome rejection. “After you’ve had 15 doors slammed in your face,” he explained, “you need to be as enthusiastic at door number 16 as you were at the first door, if you want to make a sale.” When DeJoria launched John Paul Mitchell Systems, he relied on the same skills, going from beauty salon to beauty salon getting people to purchase his hair care products. He recounts that at least four out of every five salons turned him down—but he knew better than to let that discourage him."

You can read the full article here.

According to the article, some male and female billionaires got their start by hustling door-to-door.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Banned

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
fundamentals?

Not sure of the context of your question.

Remember that someone else has already done what you want to do.

You want to learn how to sell well? Great. Masters already exist in the marketplace.

The "fundamentals" of selling, you can't pick that up in a book.

Not to mention the fact that most sales books are at least part BS.

Sales advice today is like culture lore, and some of it is pure hocus pocus.

The three most important books in sales are the Rainmaker book, Spin Selling, and Winning By Intimidation.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Not sure of the context of your question.

Remember that someone else has already done what you want to do.

You want to learn how to sell well? Great. Masters already exist in the marketplace.

The "fundamentals" of selling, you can't pick that up in a book.

Not to mention the fact that most sales books are at least part BS.

Sales advice today is like culture lore, and some of it is pure hocus pocus.

The three most important books in sales are the Rainmaker book, Spin Selling, and Winning By Intimidation.

my bad dude. i wasn't clear. i was trying to see if i understood the article and what you are trying to say, by asking if door to door and cold calling are sort of like building block skills of entrepreneurship?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Did that shit for 2 days. Tough, but it can be so rewarding if you stick with it.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Was my beginnings. 10,000 doors knocked. Wouldn't trade it for the world. [HASHTAG]#bestjobever[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#besteducation[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#100doorseveryday[/HASHTAG]

d2d.JPG

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Before selling Real Estate I was in sales for about 6 years. I did b2b, phone sales, retail, mlm... my most lucrative form of sales though was door-to-door.. had my first 6-figure year in sales doing it.

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
Was my beginnings. 10,000 doors knocked. Wouldn't trade it for the world. [HASHTAG]#bestjobever[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#besteducation[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#100doorseveryday[/HASHTAG]

d2d.JPG
srs question, as I have a business which door to door canvassing has been shown to work well for, do you believe knocking is preferable to ringing the bell.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
srs question, as I have a business which door to door canvassing has been shown to work well for, do you believe knocking is preferable to ringing the bell.

Haha man whatever it takes for them to open the door

Usually did both
...I did develop a much friendlier knock though than the menacing "knock-knock"

...good times :)

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
@Ubermensch Door to door selling is dead, they say. It is so inefficient, they say.

Bullshit.

Door to door selling is THE (no if, ands or buts) most effective way to sell in big business interactions. Companies will never put down a six, seven, or eight figure check to somebody whose face they've never even seen.

When I began selling B2B, I sold on the phone. Decent results. Not the results I wanted, though. I could never get the decision maker on the phone. So, one day I decided to take the sale into my own hands and aggressively went door to door to all the business in my niche around town. Responses when selling this way have been FAR more positive. I almost always get the exact person that I need to sign on the dotted line. This is the most important step.

Door to door selling may seem scary to you. Good. That means it is scary to your competition too. Now its up to you to be the only one to throw on your boots and hit the field. Within days, your confidence will skyrocket and this helps you excel in every single area of your life.

D

Deleted35442

You'll obviously have more resistance if you show up pitching the latest public interest group pitch or vacuum cleaners. If you show up pitching a product you're completely sold on, as Grant Cardone advises that you yourself would buy, you'll do very well for yourself. Six figs, seven figs kind of well. Can think of one that comes to mind that myself and @Ubermensch are into that adds huge value prop to buyers.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
You'll obviously have more resistance if you show up pitching the latest public interest group pitch or vacuum cleaners. If you show up pitching a product you're completely sold on, as Grant Cardone advises that you yourself would buy, you'll do very well for yourself. Six figs, seven figs kind of well. Can think of one that comes to mind that myself and @Ubermensch are into that adds huge value prop to buyers.

Stop "spoon feeding!"

@Thiago Machado
@axiom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads