The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those struggling to come up with new ideas or inventions

Idea threads

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
As MJ has written, your business or idea should solve a problem or meet a market need. Many people have problems coming up with a new idea or solution to a problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had the same problem in coming up with new ideas and fulfilling needs. I tried the normal techniques such as listening to others and their complaints and searching through the internet to find out what problems people were having.

I was unsuccessful in coming up with new ideas until I read a book called Inside the Box by Drew Boyd. Drew Boyd used to work at Johnson & Johnson where he led the innovation of new products. He is now a professor at the University of Cincinnati. This book explains that anyone can be taught to be creative and coming up with new ideas and products can be systematic without the need to think outside of the box or use typical brainstorming activities. Specifically, there are 5 patterns/templates in every innovation and new product: Subtraction, Multiplication, Task Unification, Division and Attribute Dependency.

After reading this book in June and going through some of the techniques I am now in the process of creating a prototype of a new product I have invented. I didn't believe it until I read this book but ideas are everywhere and some of us just need to learn how to systematically come up with new ideas rather than thinking an idea will come to us out of the sky.

Drew Boyd is now offering a free online course at the University of Cincinnati that begins in October. The course explains that you will learn how to systematically come up with new ideas. You can register for the class at MOOC: Innovation and Design Thinking, University of Cincinnati. I recommend you buy the book before the class as the course most likely will follow what is taught in the book.

I hope this helps others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Hey man very interesting and helpful post, I wish you the best of luck with your product and thanks again for the heads up!

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Sounds interseting .I will folow this up. Thanks for the info. Information is power.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I will definitely read that book, thanks.
I have an idea but have stumbled at the prototype stage. I have contacted lots of manufacturers asking if they can help in the production of the prototype and gotten nowhere fast :(

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
I will definitely read that book, thanks.
I have an idea but have stumbled at the prototype stage. I have contacted lots of manufacturers asking if they can help in the production of the prototype and gotten nowhere fast :(

You're welcome. I'm creating my own prototype. It's all plastic so it is a somewhat simple prototype. I will be constructing a silicone mold so I can then test the product to ensure it works like how I envision it to work. Stephen Key's 2 books have some good ideas regarding prototyping and when or if you should prototype.

Charles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 7, 2013
You have to be so careful when speaking to anyone else when new ideas are concerned. People do have a tendancy to rip you off when they can as MJ says in his book people can be a mix of slowlane and sidewalk. I am an inventor myself but I am more than able to make the prototypes myself. I obviously do not know what your idea is but have you thought of printing it? You could print it on a 3d printer? It can be the cheapest way of producing a prototype? I cannot commit on the patent issue as I live in England where are you based?

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
Thank you for the tip - I've found the book on kindle and look forward to reading it

Charles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 7, 2013
Drew Boyd is now offering a free online course at the University of Cincinnati that begins in October. The course explains that you will learn how to systematically come up with new ideas. You can register for the class at MOOC: Innovation and Design Thinking, University of Cincinnati. I recommend you buy the book before the class as the course most likely will follow what is taught in the book.

Is the online course available to people outside of the USA?

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Here is a video that gives a good background of Drew Boyd and the methods he uses for innovation and coming up with new ideas. Be aware that his methods go against the normal methods (i.e., brainstorming). It's a little long but good info.

[video=youtube_share;HAZZ5Aleuag]http://youtu.be/HAZZ5Aleuag[/video]

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Here is another video of Drew Boyd. It's a few years old but gives you a better understanding of his methods than the other video I posted.

[video=youtube_share;swO1qXlR-zc]http://youtu.be/swO1qXlR-zc[/video]

Oilrfan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 23, 2013
It looks really interesting. I have two ideas at the moment that I am looking to bring to market. I think the book and the course will be helpful. Thanks for the post!!

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Thanks dnice for this great thread!

I've bought the book yesterday and spent a few hours to read the first two concepts of subtraction and division.
As far as now the book is amazing. I gained a completely different view at the things around me.

If you haven't read the book you should definitely do so!

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks dnice for this great thread!

I've bought the book yesterday and spent a few hours to read the first two concepts of subtraction and division.
As far as now the book is amazing. I gained a completely different view at the things around me.

If you haven't read the book you should definitely do so!

That's great! I'm glad you like the book so far. It definitely gave me a different view and how to come up with new ideas anytime I want to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.