The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flappy Bird: Hit N Run (Hes taking it down)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Last edited:

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
1.) He really is in legal trouble with Nintendo, or who ever holds the rights to mario. Never seen the game before this article (Obviously a rip off)
2.) He is pulling a stunt to get even more downloads.
3.) Both

Yea I agree, there really is no logical reason for him to take down a game that is making $50,000 a day, regardless of all the pressure and publicity he's been getting. I also think that he's taking it down due to legal issues, but I wonder why he wouldn't just cut a deal with the maker of Mario Bro's if this game is making that much money? I'm sure he could have worked out a deal with them and paid them a licensing fee or something and still kept the game going.

It could also very well be a marketing stunt, in which case kudos to him.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
Then again, if they are making him take it down because of those stupid pipes, why not just change the color of the pipes or make them walls or something? This is definitely interesting and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Jun 21, 2012
I really don't think Nintendo cares about the pipes tbh. I think there are 2 options:

1: Publicity stunt. He's pulling it to get some extra downloads today. We all knew this hype wasn't gonna last long. This isn't a game that'll keep you hooked for months. Weeks at most. I haven't played it for even a second. This way he's 'supercharging' the hype before it wears out. He could re-release it later and probably get a bit more publicity and downloads. With some real luck maybe even restart the whole hype.

2: He really can't stand the publicity. I don't want to stereotype too much, but game developers aren't always the kind of people who are good with social pressure. If you put a crappy little game like this up, you're not expecting it to do this insanely good. He might just seriously be overwhelmed by it, and if he really made 50k a day over the past months, he has enough to live comfortably for a while. He says he'll keep making games. Maybe we found one of those rare people who actually care more about making games than making money :)

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
Maybe we found one of those rare people who actually care more about making games than making money

I'm not buying that at all. A LOT of people are playing HIS game that HE created, and they seem to be enjoying it. Why would a guy that cares about making games take it down then? Isn't the whole point of creating a game is so people enjoy it and play it? I think there's a lot more to this story.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Why would a guy that cares about making games take it down then?

A lot of people are more afraid of success than failure.

What would an "average Joe" think about seeing $50k per day flying into their account? That might scare the pants off many people. Especially if they don't feel they did "enough" to deserve it or think that kind of success is reserved for mega-studios or whatever.

Maybe he thinks the game isn't perfect, that he released it too soon, that he's embarrassed to have his name associated with what he thinks is a stupid little game.

In the face of success many people see nothing but reasons to doubt it, how it will all go wrong, and feel that total failure is right around the corner... And this can overwhelm many people.

I'm not saying any of this is true. I'm just saying it COULD be true, and we shouldn't dismiss tremendous success as a reason for running away.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
A lot of people are more afraid of success than failure.

What would an "average Joe" think about seeing $50k per day flying into their account? That might scare the pants off many people. Especially if they don't feel they did "enough" to deserve it or think that kind of success is reserved for mega-studios or whatever.

Maybe he thinks the game isn't perfect, that he released it too soon, that he's embarrassed to have his name associated with what he thinks is a stupid little game.

In the face of success many people see nothing but reasons to doubt it, how it will all go wrong, and feel that total failure is right around the corner... And this can overwhelm many people.

I'm not saying any of this is true. I'm just saying it COULD be true, and we shouldn't dismiss tremendous success as a reason for running away.

I don't disagree with you, it could be very well true. I'm just saying I'm not buying it. Not many people give up $50,000 a day from something that they themselves created.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
This could turn out to be an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy. Scarcity mentality? Get it now before it's gone!! Most game devs would kill to get this kind of publicity and end up at the top of the charts. Let's see how this plays out..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
He probably saw how successful he was doing and got frightened. Suddenly, people are bombarding him with sale offers (I'll buy your game for $x!), asking him to make a new game (I love Flappy Birds, when's the next game coming out?), asking him about the updates...

His game studio is a one-man show. He figured he couldn't possibly keep up with everything that's happening and decided 'F*ck it, I need to pull the plug before anything crazy happens'.

I would say "Be careful what you wish for" but every one of us here is working toward something similar, so... no I don't feel sorry for this guy. lol

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
I would say "Be careful what you wish for" but every one of us here is working toward something similar, so... no I don't feel sorry for this guy. lol

Exactly, if this was the case then this guy didn't have the "Fastlane Mentality", although he still managed to achieve it.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Exactly, if this was the case then this guy didn't have the "Fastlane Mentality", although he still managed to achieve it.
It is possibly that this guy doesn't want this type of success period. A lot of people on the forum look down on the 'side-walk' mentality but, for a lot of people that's all they want and there is nothing wrong with that. I think he is one of these people.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I wouldn't call it sidewalk. This guy is just a regular game developer from Vietnam. He probably already makes enough money to eat and enjoys doing what he does. This Flappy Bird success gave him a whole bunch of unwanted attention and he finds it more trouble than its worth.

He might also be fearing a C+D from Nintendo for using similar sprites.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
hahahah, I had a feeling something like that was gonna go down. Nice share, that is hilarious.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
If he is really taking it down, prepare for hundreds of ripoffs taking its place... and banking hard. One of them is Ironpants.

IronpantsPlatforms.jpg

I love it.
Total Flappy Bird ripoff, yet it has already two top-2 placements (US + UK) and twenty more top-5 ranks. Flappy Bird proved that its genre and business model is successful, now prepare for all the hustlers outworking and probably outsmarting the original creator.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The delayed last hit was the best

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was thinking more about this. He probably got a cease-and-desist from Nintendo… But he might not care because he's made more money in the last two weeks than made the entire rest of his life.

By taking down the app he's probably complying with the cease-and-desist.

Then either do a deal with Nintendo or redo the game or just take his money and laugh while he's sitting on the beach and working on his next app.

Deevo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 24, 2014
There is a video here of him saying there is no legal issues. Although, I think this is a fake video. Not sure.

It appears to be fake. Also, notice how he looks down right before he mentions his name?

I'm happy to say I had no idea about this game until I saw the other thread on here.

Last edited:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
It is possibly that this guy doesn't want this type of success period. A lot of people on the forum look down on the 'side-walk' mentality but, for a lot of people that's all they want and there is nothing wrong with that. I think he is one of these people.

While I agree it is probably a cease-and-desist, I agree with you too, @Gale4rc.

Fastlane dollars help, but happy is happy and you can have one without the other (in either direction). I don't look down on a side-walker just because they are on the side-walk.

Side-walker and unhappy? Yes.... that's a problem.
Side-walker and happy? Good for you. What is your secret to happiness, because some fastlaners may benefit from it too :)

Last edited:

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
If he is really taking it down, prepare for hundreds of ripoffs taking its place... and banking hard.

Ca-Ching! Money in tha bank!

VxoMvPd.jpg

Place one results in several million downloads a day.
An unexperienced iOs / Android developer can bang out a good clone in a few days, a good developer in less than a day. Now it's the time for the ripoffs to bank hard on the publicity move. None of these apps will gain the same popularity as the original, but I noticed that they have far better monetization strategies than the old Flappy Bird. This is a prime example why you should give a F*ck what the majority is doing. Anybody here in this forum could be the Eduardas Klenauskis guy that is laughing all the way to the bank.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I had no idea what "flappy bird" was before I saw this thread, but I looked it up and found it funny that the game is pretty much exactly like a game I used to play in a computer class in school after i finished my work. In like, 9th grade. http://www.addictinggames.com/action-games/helicoptergame.jsp

I could have been making 50k a month folks. :p All I would have had to do is change the helicopter to a bird :(

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Anyone who gets a clue on how this game became so popular?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.