The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Venture - Me against my thoughts

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Hey guys,

Long story short, I saved a bit of money, moved back to my parents' home and quit my job to pursue entrepreneurship.

I've been developing a website for a while, which has the goal of filtering the good real estate agents from the bad ones, while allowing people to choose an agent easily. I created the website on my own, using Wordpress and it took me 4 months. It took so long, as I knew nothing about websites, CSS, and anything related that I needed, so I used it as a learning mechanism as well.

Simultaneously, my job was literally draining the life out of me, and I knew I had to do something to change my life. So, I moved back to my parents' home with the intent of saving money, so I could move to another city in my country. However, one day I thought

"I have no debt, I have a place to live, I have my website, I have a bit of money saved up..."

I was being hesitant for a few weeks if I want to pursue this or not. Until one day when I was at the office, completely zoned out... "F*ck it"- I said, and handed my notice letter.

So, today was my first day of being unemployed, and having all the free time to work on my idea. The go-to task was to find a client. I created a list of 64 people, all agency owners. I called 15 today. Some of them were busy and asked to phone tomorrow, others rejected me as soon as they picked up the phone, and then there was this group who was not sure why they need what I am offering them. WAIT.

So, my aha moment for today was that there is something wrong with my pitch. Therefore, I need to figure out a way to pitch the idea in a more easy to digest way. To deliver my message concisely.

What I did good: I was aware of my emotions and the thoughts in my head preventing me from picking up the phone. I called people despite that. It was very scary, but I realised I was having fun at one point.

What could be improved: communicate my USP in a more concise way. Write a goal for activity on a piece of paper, and put it in front of my eyes. Achieve that goal.

What is the goal? Find ONE client who lacks leads and is willing to pay for them.

I've noticed some negative thoughts have started to emerge. "What if I fail? What if you are not good enough? Look at you, living at your parents' place. No job, no car...". However, I've made a conscious choice to be in that situation. I knew it was going to look like that, but I am doing it for a better tomorrow. I'm doing it as I really enjoy my freedom. I'm doing it as I truly believe I could help people. I'm also doing it, as I've always felt it in my heart (since I was a teenager) that this path is for me. I don't know why, but I know it attracts me. I kind of enjoy the current humiliation (living at my parents' place... I am 24). Jeez, I went too deep with that...

P.S.
I'm going to use this thread as a journal, as I think it will help me to reflect on what has happened. It might help someone. It might help YOU.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jacob_Losco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Simultaneously, my job was literally draining the life out of me, and I knew I had to do something to change my life. So, I moved back to my parents' home with the intent of saving money, so I could move to another city in my country. However, one day I thought

"I have no debt, I have a place to live, I have my website, I have a bit of money saved up..."

I was being hesitant for a few weeks if I want to pursue this or not. Until one day when I was at the office, completely zoned out... "F*ck it"- I said, and handed my notice letter.
Hey man,
I just started this forum so I am not at all an expert, but I think that what you did was really bold, and shows good character.
I think that we all get the feeling of taking that first step, I know that even posting on this forum felt like i was breaking down a barrier, but I think that you are being smart in taking out what you think is toxic in your life. :thumbsup:
Keep us posted on your progress!

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Hey guys!

So, after the non-success from my last calls, I analyzed a bit on what was I doing. I already have prospects registered in my website, so I decided to call them. After the first phone call, I had already set up a meeting for the same day, where we could discuss how we could collaborate. Boyyyy, rest assured I was jumping around my room, bathing in excitement!

The meeting lasted for an hour and the guy was willing to give a try to what I was offering! So, now what I have to do is deliver on my promise.

Little by little I am moving towards where I wanna go.

I still have some negative thoughts trying to sabotage me, but I can feel they are fading away.

Yay!

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Hey guys! Haven't updated you in a while, but frankly, I had nothing to update you with.

What happened since the last time is the agency owner I made a handshake agreement with did not hold his end of the bargain. I pursued him for a week, but he only gave me empty promises. This brought me down a little.

Then I had a fight with my parents, as they are kind of against my entrepreneurial endeavors, even though my father is a business owner... They do want the best for me, but I've come to realize that they don't know what "best" means to me. As a result of the fight, I had a few awful days, where I was questioning my decision to pursue entrepreneurship. I kept telling myself I was emotional and that I should keep moving forward. It was tough, as I had to overcome myself. I imagine it as the bridge I have to cross, the steep path I have to walk, the battle I have to win.

I must say, it is very scary. The future looks somewhat dark, as there is no path. With career at least you know what to expect- get a job, work 9 to 5, get a life and a mortgage, build a family... become old, retire... But when I thought of all of that I realised it does not excite me the least. I don't want to live such a boring life. I want randomness, I want to just see what happens.

I knew I needed to surround myself with like-minded individuals. My friends do support me and two of them even pursue their own things, while others are here for me. But I need something more. I need people with even stronger mindsets, who are not afraid to tell others how they feel, who are able to go talk to random girls they visually like, who are open to learning new things, who understand other people.

So, I looked for some entrepreneurial societies in my local area in Facebook. I found one that was country-wide, but I could not find anything in my city. So, I joined the country-wide group and asked if there were any like-minded individuals who were up for a meeting. I got a very positive response, where 6 strangers (7 with me) came to a dinner, organized by me. I was the least experienced and the youngest one of all of them.

The initial awkwardness disappeared when the beers started coming in. Then the conversations begun flowing like crazy. I've never seen so much value on a table in my life so far. Business tactics, life advice, funny stories... The atmosphere was so magnetic, the waiters even had to politely kick us out of the place towards the end of the night, as we just wouldn't stop enjoying ourselves.

Some of the guys gave me pretty decent advice, which I am currently following through. It's regarding getting traffic to my website. They told me what works in my local area. It's not that I haven't read it here in the forum. But it's different when you feel the energy from the other person. It literally assures you the tactic would work.

That was something else.

See you on the next one!

Galacticum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2019
Hey buddy, very proud of you for making sh*t happen!
Despite all the self doubt you went out there and organized a dinner. On top of it you gained some insights as well as met some new people.

I must say, it is very scary. The future looks somewhat dark, as there is no path. With career at least you know what to expect- get a job, work 9 to 5, get a life and a mortgage, build a family... become old, retire... But when I thought of all of that I realised it does not excite me the least. I don't want to live such a boring life. I want randomness, I want to just see what happens.

And that my friend is exactly the beauty of entrepreneurship.
One day you will be riding sky high and next thing you know you'll get hit in the face so fast you don't even realize it.
But that's what you sign up for and at some point you learn to fully embrace it and ride the next wave.

mikemiller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 19, 2019
Hey guys,

Long story short, I saved a bit of money, moved back to my parents' home and quit my job to pursue entrepreneurship.

I've been developing a website for a while, which has the goal of filtering the good real estate agents from the bad ones, while allowing people to choose an agent easily. I created the website on my own, using Wordpress and it took me 4 months. It took so long, as I knew nothing about websites, CSS, and anything related that I needed, so I used it as a learning mechanism as well.

So, today was my first day of being unemployed, and having all the free time to work on my idea. The go-to task was to find a client. I created a list of 64 people, all agency owners. I called 15 today. Some of them were busy and asked to phone tomorrow, others rejected me as soon as they picked up the phone, and then there was this group who was not sure why they need what I am offering them. WAIT.

So, my aha moment for today was that there is something wrong with my pitch. Therefore, I need to figure out a way to pitch the idea in a more easy to digest way. To deliver my message concisely.

What I did good: I was aware of my emotions and the thoughts in my head preventing me from picking up the phone. I called people despite that. It was very scary, but I realised I was having fun at one point.

What could be improved: communicate my USP in a more concise way. Write a goal for activity on a piece of paper, and put it in front of my eyes. Achieve that goal.

What is the goal? Find ONE client who lacks leads and is willing to pay for them.

I've noticed some negative thoughts have started to emerge. "What if I fail? What if you are not good enough? Look at you, living at your parents' place. No job, no car...". However, I've made a conscious choice to be in that situation. I knew it was going to look like that, but I am doing it for a better tomorrow. I'm doing it as I really enjoy my freedom. I'm doing it as I truly believe I could help people. I'm also doing it, as I've always felt it in my heart (since I was a teenager) that this path is for me. I don't know why, but I know it attracts me. I kind of enjoy the current humiliation (living at my parents' place... I am 24). Jeez, I went too deep with that...

P.S.
I'm going to use this thread as a journal, as I think it will help me to reflect on what has happened. It might help someone. It might help YOU.
Everybody literally faces such kind of situation in their lives. It is the time where we get to bring out the best out of ourselves. Hope you bring out the best from you also!

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks guys! The emotional ups and downs during my journey so far have been insane. They do make me feel alive!

Today I initiated the seeds for my marketing campaign. I went out there- something I was afraid of. Right now I experience fear of being judged, or of nobody liking my idea, or of people ridiculing me... But I just decided to see what happens. I get this weird energy from it. I like it!

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Excellent--you're moving forward.

So what are your next actions?

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
NMdad

So, right now my goal is to create traffic to the website.

I researched what keywords I want to target and hired a freelancer, who is knowledgeable in SEO. She wrote me an article that is 750 words long, which has been posted on the blog (this is the first blog post). Right now, I have to think of some funny and informative comments, so I could share it on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and I will probably screenshot the Twitter post and share it on Instagram.

Also, I am planning to start interviewing professionals in my industry (real estate) and post it on Facebook. From there on, I would turn the interview into a blog post, which would be shared on all the social media, but I would also turn it into a podcast. I want to involve the public more, so I have boosted a Facebook post asking my audience what questions have they always wanted to ask a realtor.

The ad has been running for two days, but I still haven't got any comments, only 15 likes. I have reached about 750 people so far. I think I have not defined my audience right, but it is also the first time I am running ads, so this was somewhat of an expected result. Current cost per engagement is 0.06 euro, which Facebook told me is higher than similar promotions.

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Let me update you on the story so far...

I kept cold calling people, but honestly, everybody rejected me. I also realized cold calling is definitely not for me, so I need to hire someone if I ever do that again.

I went out with the group of entrepreneurs I gathered. It was all fun and I got to talk more thoroughly with the owner of the construction company. He gave me some insight which I had not considered before. He told me that the people I try to reach have some internal circle where everybody knows each other and that they are pretty hard to get to. He thinks my idea goes directly against their circle, hence that was the reason it had no success so far.

In hindsight, it makes perfect sense now... I had focused on my hometown, but the people there are very tough to do business with. I also lack a lot of skills in that regard, so I ultimately decided that the idea I have is just too much for me right now. I might come back to it later, but my priority shifted to getting some cash.

I thought about getting a job... but then I remembered the depression I was in last time I had a job. So, that is plan C for now.

Plan B is Upwork. After 12 days of sending proposals, I got hired for a small gig. But I am getting mostly rejected for some reason. I need to optimize there...

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Hey everybody! Decided to update you on my progress a bit!

(For anyone that hasn't read any of the thread) So, a couple of months ago I attempted to start a business. I left my job and decided to work on it full-time. After a month of trying, I realized I was gonna fall short on cash soon, and then I was going to be forced to take another job. I thought “Nope”.

I had to start looking for alternatives that would keep me alive until I figure things out. The answer?

I begun watching a course on how to correctly set up a profile on Upwork. I followed the steps. Then I learned how to properly send proposals. Again, bought a course (from @Lex DeVille), followed the steps. In the first 2 weeks I got a few replies, but no one hired me effectively. Finally, I started mixing things up and people begun to notice me. I started making enough money to move out of my parents’ place and I am currently writing this piece of text from my new flat I rented in another city.

I have a competitive advantage that I live in a low-cost country when compared to the US. Currently, I can literally cover my living costs within 10 days of working 2-3 hours a day. Pretty sweet spot.

Another thing I noticed is that I can feel the risk. What if the jobs stop coming in? What if I dry up my savings (were estimate at 2 months, but have currently fallen to 1 month)? I decided to take the jump, as the situation at home became unbearable to me. Too many people, too much noise. It was really hard for me to concentrate, and I started feeling miserable.

Now that I have sorted my living situation, I’ve noticed another thing that’s keeping me awake. I need to find a partner in life of the opposite sex. A girlfriend, with a potential of a wife. I’ve been lonely for the majority of my life, but lately I’ve become extremely opened about pretty much anything. I’ve noticed an increase in the quality of the relationships I build with people. There are people that don’t like me, but the ones that stick around are the exact type of individuals I want to be surrounded with. Both men and women. It’s great. I’m being myself and my circle loves for it. I also encourage them to be open about their feelings and to express themselves. It’s interesting how people react when you start leading by example.

Now, I’m setting up a very simple goal: Start any business, but make it profitable. That’s the only condition. It could be a business that generates a revenue of $50 a month, but if it makes a profit of say $20, I would consider this a successful start. The idea behind that is to start understanding the framework of how to sell something produced by me (or marketed) by me. Thanks to Lex’es course, I have a good understanding of the value proposition. The current case of the virus is perfect for me, as everyone I would be down to go out with is sheltered at home (I’m doing this, too), so no incentive for me to get distracted. It’s pretty much me against myself. I feel like if I win this battle, I would be prepared for everything life has to offer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.