The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Timer - Selling on Amazon FBA vs Shopify

YIESRX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 27, 2016
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months going into analysis paralysis and finally decided to take some sort of action. Honestly, feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information out there on the topic of selling online.

I have a product that I want to sell. I've ordered 100 pieces from AliExpress and I'm currently in the process of ordering branded stickers to slap on each item.

As a beginner should I be try to sell via Amazon FBA or Shopify?

If choose to go the Amazon FBA route, do I need to setup a Seller's account and have an LLC created?

I'd really appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZMan26

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2016
Sunny Florida
1.Go with amazon FBA itll be easier for you to get traffic and buyers

2. no, but you will have to down the road, why is that a problem though? go to legal zoom / get an accountant, itll cost you $200-250

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Both. They are both selling outlets and they aren't the only ones. Each one has its good qualities and negative sides. You should be selling anywhere and everywhere.

Why is it an either/or decision?

ZMan26

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2016
Sunny Florida
Both. They are both selling outlets and they aren't the only ones. Each one has its good qualities and negative sides. You should be selling anywhere and everywhere.

Why is it an either/or decision?

Obviously he needs to sell on ebay, bonanaza and every marketplace out there
But if he has a low budget / trying to focus on 1 thing, amazon is for sure the way to go

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What is your overall goal / strategy? You a 'me too' Amazon seller or a brand?

Just testing the market? Amazon / Ebay / even Craigslist, depending on product. Amazon has a large FAQ on how to start selling. Get to studying!

Got an elevator pitch? Sell in local stores?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Obviously he needs to sell on ebay, bonanaza and every marketplace out there
But if he has a low budget / trying to focus on 1 thing, amazon is for sure the way to go

I would be selling out of my trunk, at local traders meets, craigslist, etc. I don't disagree with you about Amazon. I am just pointing out that a beginner should not limit themselves.

Unless, the focus was on building an Amazon business rather than selling a useful product. If that is the case he needs to quit now.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You a 'me too' Amazon seller or a brand?
And "slapping" a sticker on your product does NOT mean you have a brand. Please don't be another "me too" product seller.

I started on amazon first and the website didn't come for another 6 months. Wish I had started it sooner.

You don't have an "amazon" business or a "shopify" business. Build your business that provides a great product that people can't wait to get their hands on.

Last edited:

ZMan26

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2016
Sunny Florida
And "slapping" a sticker on your product does NOT mean you have a brand. Please don't be another "me too" product seller.

I started on amazon first and the website didn't come for another 6 months. Wish I had started it sooner.

You don't have an "amazon" business or a "shopify" business. Build your business that provides a great product that people can't wait to get their hands on.

Seems like all the best comments come from Phoenix, I wonder whats going on there

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

YIESRX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 27, 2016
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies.

I have limited resources to start with, so I wanted to test the waters with a small batch of the product.

There are a few other seller's who are selling very similar products to mine on Amazon... does that make me a "me too" seller? Why is this frowned upon? Aren't there people in this community who have been profitable doing this?

@ZMan26 thanks, I think I will get my feet wet with Amazon first! Hmm not sure why I wouldn't just create one lol... I'll look into that, thank you.

@AllenCrawley thanks for the feedback! Did you start with selling a single product on Amazon or did you already have a brand going into it?

Guatavo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 19, 2016
If you’re short in budget, I suggest you go with Amazon FBA. If not, try to be on as many platforms as possible to maximize the chances of higher revenue. Sure having multiple storefronts would be a bit hectic, but this is where affordable e-commerce solution comes. It helps you handle various activities of your stores from a centralized platform, including product listing and real-time inventory management. The likes of ChannelSale and ChannelAdvisor can help you here. But be careful about their pricing; ChannelAdvisor charge very high.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.