The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Samples have arrived!

Robert Taylor I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 31, 2016
America's Hat
I have been working towards starting my own brand, one which I will launch both locally and on the internet. I spent a long time sourcing a product and have finally found a manufacturer that I like and trust, and their samples arrived yesterday. They sent me pictures when they finished manufacturing and they looked HORRIBLE, I was really nervous as I thought I'd have to start looking again in an already small and niche market. Luckily they were just horrible pictures and the samples are really very well built and I am very happy with it, time to stress test for a month and possibly do a second sample order after that so my partner and I can figure out colour/detail optimisation.

Thank you people for really getting the flame under my a$$. I will make a lot of money with this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Congratulations Robert.

I suggest you start looking for alternative suppliers now. It's not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket.

Depending on the value of your likely first order, you should consider paying a reliable inspection service for a pre-shipment quality inspection, or and inspection during production. Production runs don't always match samples.

If you are not familiar with importing, particularly the shipping side of it, I suggest you browse my AMA thread.

Walter

Robert Taylor I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 31, 2016
America's Hat
Congratulations Robert.

I suggest you start looking for alternative suppliers now. It's not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket.

Depending on the value of your likely first order, you should consider paying a reliable inspection service for a pre-shipment quality inspection, or and inspection during production. Production runs don't always match samples.

If you are not familiar with importing, particularly the shipping side of it, I suggest you browse my AMA thread.

Walter

Thanks Walter. Always a pleasure to get advice from a veteran such as yourself. The value you and the other regulars of the forums provide is beyond words.

I think my shipment value is a bit below what I'd consider in need of inspection quality, so I am comfortable going ahead with my order pending my stress testing.

This company is also the supplier for about 95% of the market I'm in, and as a result I trust their quality control as if it was not stellar this niche would probably collapse overnight. I will however definitely begin looking for alternative suppliers as a safety.

My one issue is that my product is technically from their catalogue of products. I found it after a lot of searching and was discontinued by them, even though it is easily their best product, it's a perfect hidden gem. How would I go about sourcing this particular product from another manufacturer? Is that legal?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks Walter. Always a pleasure to get advice from a veteran such as yourself. The value you and the other regulars of the forums provide is beyond words.

I think my shipment value is a bit below what I'd consider in need of inspection quality, so I am comfortable going ahead with my order pending my stress testing.

This company is also the supplier for about 95% of the market I'm in, and as a result I trust their quality control as if it was not stellar this niche would probably collapse overnight. I will however definitely begin looking for alternative suppliers as a safety.

My one issue is that my product is technically from their catalogue of products. I found it after a lot of searching and was discontinued by them, even though it is easily their best product, it's a perfect hidden gem. How would I go about sourcing this particular product from another manufacturer? Is that legal?
Provided it is not patented or is a registered design, I don't see any legal problem. Ethically there might be an issue though.

Also, in this case it might be a wise move to keep all your eggs in that one basket, rather than alert other suppliers to the possibilities. This is a difficult choice, but worth considering. If you can sell good volumes, that could well be the answer, because as a previously discontinued product it seems it had not done well for the manufacturer, putting you in a good position to negotiate an exclusive supply agreement after you build you Guanxi with them.

Walter

Robert Taylor I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 31, 2016
America's Hat
Provided it is not patented or is a registered design, I don't see any legal problem. Ethically there might be an issue though.

Also, in this case it might be a wise move to keep all your eggs in that one basket, rather than alert other suppliers to the possibilities. This is a difficult choice, but worth considering. If you can sell good volumes, that could well be the answer, because as a previously discontinued product it seems it had not done well for the manufacturer, putting you in a good position to negotiate an exclusive supply agreement after you build you Guanxi with them.

Walter

Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking. This company deals largely with wholesalers who do bulk scale minumum-effort, zero marketing ecommerce and a few small startups work with them in the states, but I am their only Canadian client and their only client who is working with this product. I was hoping to build a strong relationship with them on this basis, and after reading all of your advice on the value of going to China, I plan on making a trip there myself to establish a strong Guanxi and negotiate that exclusivity deal. I'm feeling much better about that idea now that you've expressed the same sentiments. I must say that a lot of those ideas I have are from going back and reading a lot of the gold posts from you and Vigilante, so it really is just your own thoughts surfacing back to you.

A question I have about going to China; I am only 19 years old, and I am uncertain of how the Chinese will see me as such a young person. I've heard that being senior in age will garner you a larger amount of respect by default, but I was wondering if you made any trips yourself in your youth or have spoken to anyone with similar experience.

Thanks again Walter.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking. This company deals largely with wholesalers who do bulk scale minumum-effort, zero marketing ecommerce and a few small startups work with them in the states, but I am their only Canadian client and their only client who is working with this product. I was hoping to build a strong relationship with them on this basis, and after reading all of your advice on the value of going to China, I plan on making a trip there myself to establish a strong Guanxi and negotiate that exclusivity deal. I'm feeling much better about that idea now that you've expressed the same sentiments. I must say that a lot of those ideas I have are from going back and reading a lot of the gold posts from you and Vigilante, so it really is just your own thoughts surfacing back to you.

A question I have about going to China; I am only 19 years old, and I am uncertain of how the Chinese will see me as such a young person. I've heard that being senior in age will garner you a larger amount of respect by default, but I was wondering if you made any trips yourself in your youth or have spoken to anyone with similar experience.

Thanks again Walter.
What you have written supports the idea of working with that supplier and not looking for another, but that still depends on how well they treat you, and how well you treat them.

I would not suggest going to China to negotiate and exclusive agreement until you have got some business under way and have begun to prove your value to them.

Yes, your age could work against you unless the owner is young or the contact person with whom you will be dealing almost exclusively is young.To some extent it depends on your appearance. I made my first trip as an exporter at age 40, but I looked very much younger, and it did not work against me even though as an exporter I was selling, which is a much tougher proposition than being a buyer in China.

If you look older, at least in your twenties, and you dress conservatively you should do OK. Some young Fastlane members have posted about successful trips to China, so don't let the age problem scare you.

Walter

Robert Taylor I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 31, 2016
America's Hat
What you have written supports the idea of working with that supplier and not looking for another, but that still depends on how well they treat you, and how well you treat them.

I would not suggest going to China to negotiate and exclusive agreement until you have got some business under way and have begun to prove your value to them.

Yes, your age could work against you unless the owner is young or the contact person with whom you will be dealing almost exclusively is young.To some extent it depends on your appearance. I made my first trip as an exporter at age 40, but I looked very much younger, and it did not work against me even though as an exporter I was selling, which is a much tougher proposition than being a buyer in China.

If you look older, at least in your twenties, and you dress conservatively you should do OK. Some young Fastlane members have posted about successful trips to China, so don't let the age problem scare you.

Walter
Thanks Walt. I'll keep all this in mind moving forward. Still have a little while before I'm locked in or my order so I will remember to keep on my toes with the supplier as you say and will look at backup alternatives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.