The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First mobile app published to the market

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
FREE Version on the Android Market:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwxLDEsImNvbS5hdmVyc2Nlci50aW1lY3ViZWZyZWUiXQ..
^^^ I would much appreciate a download for the support!

Hey guys,

It's been two weeks since I quit my job, and since then I've been busy. I just published my first android app to the Google Play store, pretty excited. I'm not expecting nearly any hits on it, but I hope the free version will once I get a good add platform tested with it. Still waiting for it to show up in the market, but hopefully it's only a few hours. Any feedback, advice, hints, suggestions, life advice, downloads! ;) are appreciated!

I kept it simple stupid. The player rotates a cube with different colors in the middle. The edge of the cube identifies the target color. Using tilt or touch, the player then rotates the cube to the target color. Time is identified by the edge color fading to black. The more targets the player hits, the less time they have to get the next one. Once the player is over the target color, they must keep it there while the edge color regenerates back to the target color, in which the edge changes to a new color.

If it get's any interest in the market, I have several more shapes and concepts to add as well, such as power ups and bombs.

Name: TimeCube
Price: $.99
Free: Hoping to get ppv videos where each second watched buys you a minute of game play.
Category: Casual
Goal: < 1000 paid
> 10,000 free within 3 months

Known issues:
I have two Toshiba thrive tablets.
One with 3.2 Honeycomb
One with the 4.0 ICS update.
The 4.0 ICS one lags like crazy! I'm using a non-optimized specular shader on some parts which performed fine on the 3.2 honeycomb and my 4.1 JellyBean HTC Evo5 phone. Because I didn't have access to a 2.x phone, I made the minimum sdk 3.0. Newer devices shouldn't have a problem.

Facebook:
TimeCube | Facebook

381311_402230206497445_1465109120_n.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Liked the FB page, would get the app but I just bought an iPhone tonight :rolleyes:

Thanks! I need to get a Mac so I can publish to the apple market as well. Hopefully will have that up within a month and some more games.:)

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Little update, got it on a 2.2 device and it destroyed it haha. Sooo... I took out the specular shaders I wrote which were aweeesommeee and it runs like a champ now on every device I've tested.

Lookin to setup Prime31 today to get the free version out.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I'm liking your graphics also I would recommend that you create a Youtube video or channel promoting your apps.

Great feedback and I've been meaning to do so. Any suggestions on apps for recording screenshot video?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Just downloaded it. Will play with it when I have a chance. Congrats, well done. Speed+ for you.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
347 installs! woot, and number 218 in the TOP NEW FREE of casual games.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
747 installs, #140 on the top new free!

A little insight:
My eCPM right now is at about $.68. That's $.68 per 1000 ads displayed. To make $68, I need to display 100,000 ads. To make $6,800, that would be 10,000,000 ads. 10,000,000 ads / 30 days in a month would be about 333,333 ads displayed a day to acquire the base of a low-paying job. I'm interested to see if that is even possible.

Now, with 20,000 active installs x 5 games out on the market, it seems pretty doable. BUT, there is no exit strategy, there is no big liquidation sale point, and it's basically just giving yourself a job.=p

Definitely excited to explain where I plan to take this soon. :)

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
This is awesome. I'm getting started in the iOS market but I'm outsourcing the development. Monetization can be challenging with apps it seems. I have a friend who created a meme app and they got top 25 overall free on the market with 500k downloads but they didn't monetize properly and only made 10k on it.

Are you going to stick to the free model?

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Just downloaded it. Pretty cool but got boring fast to me. You should think of adding some levels or something ;)
Good luck.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
This is awesome. I'm getting started in the iOS market but I'm outsourcing the development. Monetization can be challenging with apps it seems. I have a friend who created a meme app and they got top 25 overall free on the market with 500k downloads but they didn't monetize properly and only made 10k on it.

Are you going to stick to the free model?
It can be extremelyyy challenging profiting on Android. I've been making a bunch of posts about how greedy the mobile consumer is. Even for a paid app, users expect a lot for $.99 and if you're going to charge $1.99 you better have something incredible. Goodluck with your venture! You should make a thread about it. Is it going to be a game or an app?

As far as the free model... I'm actually switching up my game plan and will only go back to producing games as a plan b. Right now I'm working on a mobile ad network to solve a lot of the problems and pain points I saw, and developing a template for some content sites.

AgonI said:
Just downloaded it. Pretty cool but got boring fast to me. You should think of adding some levels or something
Good luck.
Ya I hear you! I actually had several shapes as well as power ups that would destroy time, shake the screen, reverse the direction your input goes in, but my tester was my gf and mom and they responded much better to just a cube you had to rotate against time haha. After releasing it... I realized I should have kept all the other cool stuff in! And done a leaderboard to drive comopetition and a desire to continue playing.

Thanks for the downloads and input guys! I really appreciate it!

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
It can be extremelyyy challenging profiting on Android. I've been making a bunch of posts about how greedy the mobile consumer is. Even for a paid app, users expect a lot for $.99 and if you're going to charge $1.99 you better have something incredible. Goodluck with your venture! You should make a thread about it. Is it going to be a game or an app?

As far as the free model... I'm actually switching up my game plan and will only go back to producing games as a plan b. Right now I'm working on a mobile ad network to solve a lot of the problems and pain points I saw, and developing a template for some content sites.

Yeah, I hear you. I've heard it's easier for Android users to pirate apps as well. Is this true? For this app business my partner and I are working on entertainment apps. They're going to be basic games.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Yeah, I hear you. I've heard it's easier for Android users to pirate apps as well. Is this true? For this app business my partner and I are working on entertainment apps. They're going to be basic games.
Technically yes, which isn't a problem if you go the free route. Pirating a free app works in your favor and drive traffic (although you don't get a realistic number of how many people have your app).

Android applications are packaged as an .apk file and can be distributed that way. They're fairly easy to access and copy by attaching the phone or tablet to the computer.

Google offers a solution that digitally signs it and notifies the server every time it's opened to verify the device that's using it downloaded it from the app store. If you have a paid app, this is definitely a great, free of cost, route to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.