The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First attempt at Amazon FBA

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I dont understand why someone wouldn't try to make money now... It isn't like FBA is voodoo wizardry.

Its really not that bad of an idea to go about it the way he is. He bought a random product to learn the ropes and see how to list on amazon. Based on previous posts i dont think he has an interest in going into this candle niche he simply bought the product for cheap so that he could go to the steps to list it on amazon and see how it works. All the while I assume hes researching other niches to get his branded product for the future.

If he simply wants to get a quick sale and learn the process, then listing this product for sale on another listing already generating traffic is the best possible way to go about this. Branding has advantages over the long hall but this isn't going to help him go through the process especially if he has no interest in candles. Branding his candles and creating his own listing will only slow his process because it will take much longer to sell.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
That's just it. I only bought 10 packs of 10. Most people who sell these on Amazon do it for about $8-$9. I would not make any profit on these since I did not buy bulk. I was just doing this more for the learning process rather then to make a living off it. That's another question I had. Lets say I want to sell these lights, then next week I want to sell hula hoops. Would I use the same Amazon business name? Is it better to pick a generic name? What if I created a name like Joeys Tea Lights, then next month I started selling oven mitts?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You can easily change your display name (although there may be a limit to # of times, not sure). I would probably keep it somewhat generic to start and once you find your niche then you could change it to a more specific name.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
I am taking all your advice and I am going to brand these items with a label on each package. I had a friend of mine do me a favor and make me a graphic/label. I am going to print them out on labels and stick them on each item. I am going to mention my brand in the Amazon posting also with some brand specific benefits of my products. I will post some pics and links to everything once I am at that step. Below is the graphic for now. (Edit, I removed the logo, I got worried someone may steal it, since it wasn't watermarked. I will post some pics of the products with it on it once complete)

Last edited:

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I don't really see a way to make these my own?
Do you have $50? spend $20 on MJs book and $30 (or so) on INSIDERS subscription. There's a never ending list of how you could make those your own.

Here's just a dumb idea off the top of my head, (since dumb ideas seem to be selling well right now):
Put a unique ribbon or some type of flare on each candle to make each and every one unique. You've be surprised what you can find at a hobby lobby or in bulk online.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Do you have $50? spend $20 on MJs book and $30 (or so) on INSIDERS subscription. There's a never ending list of how you could make those your own.

Here's just a dumb idea off the top of my head, (since dumb ideas seem to be selling well right now):
Put a unique ribbon or some type of flare on each candle to make each and every one unique. You've be surprised what you can find at a hobby lobby or in bulk online.
I have the book and I am an INSIDERS already. I appreciate the tips. I will look into that.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I have the book and I am an INSIDERS already. I appreciate the tips. I will look into that.
My bad was posting from my phone and it didnt show the emblem. Also didn't get a chance to read many of the other responses. Great stuff here, follow what they're saying and I think this dry run might turn into more than you expected...

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Listen to those talking about branding. They're dead on the money.

Earlier this year I tested FBA by finding a product selling at a local membership wholesale business that was selling selling for twice as much on Amazon. I emptied my bank accounts and bought every single one I could. Many would term this arbitrage. I used FBA to sell every single one of them and they were all gone by the end of November. FBA could just about be set up by a blind drunk monkey with an IQ of 2. It's slightly more difficult if you need your own barcodes. But only slightly.

Take this opportunity for focus on sales copy and setting yourself apart as has been pointed out previously.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
This thread is gold. Buying a label printer tonight at Staples because of this.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Hi, So I got around to entering my first product. Few issues so far.

1. The images havent shown up, even though I uploaded them? Do they take a while? (they show up now)
2. I want to edit my item title and description, but don't see that option? (I Just created this product 10 mins ago)
3. I wasn't sure which keyword search terms to use, I made up ones I thought were good. Any advice?
4. How does it look? Are the photos too amateur looking?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HOLVJN0/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1. Amazon has a slow system. It even warns you on most events that it can take up to 15 minutes to display properly.

On a feed upload (uploading products via spreadsheet - a pain but necessary at times) it can take 30+ min or longer even. A real pain.

2. Everything should be editable though after you create it. I've never had an issue.

3. use google keyword tool or any other tool to find what customers are searching for. I use merchantwords but it's not a very good value at full pop - I have a cheap account for early adoption and love it though.

4. First photo should be sterile on a pure white background, usually. And yes, I would work harder on the photos. Take a top, bottom and side photo and upload them all, take a few more "action" shots and upload them. You can't have too many photos.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You need that description re-written bigtime! Pay someone to do it or do it yourself. You should mention waterproof on the bullet points. And you say its non refundable? Oh and you need better pics. Show vases with your tea lights inside also.

Lots to do!

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
First picture looks alright to me but the 2nd two need work. Definitely show how tall they are, and I'd even do a "candle light dinner" type setting using them.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
You need that description re-written bigtime! Pay someone to do it or do it yourself. You should mention waterproof on the bullet points. And you say its non refundable? Oh and you need better pics. Show vases with your tea lights inside also.

Lots to do!
Can someone guide me in the way of getting someone to re-write the description? Why is that SO important? 90% of people buying these know exactly what they are already. Also can I take photos I find on the internet with them in vases and use those? I am not a photographer so I can't really do that well.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
I changed the 2nd 2 photos. Let me know if this works better.

Thanks.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Also can I take photos I find on the internet with them in vases and use those? I am not a photographer so I can't really do that well.

Using existing photographs is a copyright issue.

Roughly it's like this. The maker of the photo is the owner. Most of times you don't have permission to use somebody else's photo.

However, your product is created by somebody who wants it sold. You are acting as a reseller.

Most of times the manufacturer has photos available that are made with the single intention of being used in the sales channel or by journalists or PR agencies or anybody else that has a positive influence on sales. So if you can find a photo by the manufacturer and you find that it's being used all over the internet by commercial websites, then you have nothing to fear.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Using existing photographs is a copyright issue.

Roughly it's like this. The maker of the photo is the owner. Most of times you don't have permission to use somebody else's photo.

However, your product is created by somebody who wants it sold. You are acting as a reseller.

Most of times the photos that are made by the manufacturer are created with the single intention of being used in the sales channel or by journalists or PR agencies or anybody else that has a positive influence on sales. So if you can find a photo by the manufacturer and you find that it's being used all over the internet by commercial websites, then you have nothing to fear.

I took the 3rd photo from pinterest http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HOLVJN0 do you think that will be ok?

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Can someone guide me in the way of getting someone to re-write the description? Why is that SO important? 90% of people buying these know exactly what they are already

It is very important, a lot of people will be buying this for the first time for a wedding or something. Your description will put them off, pay someone to rewrite it professionally. I'm sure someone here will do it for some $$$

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Pictures look better, but yes watch the copyright issues. I would use that 2nd picture as the main one instead since it looks nice.

As for the description, try to really sell this product to a first time viewer. Ask questions.

How long do your current tea-light candles last?
Our G12 technology allows for a longer, more vibrant glow, etc etc etc.

ElegantGlow at your wedding!
Make your wedding even brighter by using ElegantGlow, etc etc etc.

Just things like that is what I would say.

Dave

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Pictures look better, but yes watch the copyright issues. I would use that 2nd picture as the main one instead since it looks nice.

As for the description, try to really sell this product to a first time viewer. Ask questions.

How long do your current tea-light candles last?
Our G12 technology allows for a longer, more vibrant glow, etc etc etc.

ElegantGlow at your wedding!
Make your wedding even brighter by using ElegantGlow, etc etc etc.

Just things like that is what I would say.

Dave

I thought since I was "Branding my own item" I should use the the first image that has ElegantGlow logo on it? Or that does not matter? Thanks all.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Can someone guide me in the way of getting someone to re-write the description? Why is that SO important? 90% of people buying these know exactly what they are already. Also can I take photos I find on the internet with them in vases and use those? I am not a photographer so I can't really do that well.

Someone just posted this in another thread and I thought it was pertinent in this one as well to help answer your question.

http://www.drewericwhitman.com/how-powerful-ad-copy-can-make-you-drool-over-a-bar-of-bath-soap/

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Copy-writing sells. Period. Sales are how you make money. That's why it's important. Go buy a book called "Cashvertising" today and read it twice then keep it by your desk for future reference.

Also, you aren't a photographer? The second you became a business owner is the day you stopped "not being" anything. Welcome to the land of "figure it out". Google for tutorials on how to get it done or spend the money on a professional who will charge you $20 - $50 per photo. Saying you have an "obvious" product is a deadly cop-out. A death knell for your time in business.

I sell obvious products. I love obvious products. The less complicated the better. I sell items that 6 year olds can and do use. Do you know what I do with my listings?

1. Shoot as many photos as I can think of and spend hours making them look better than my competition. Sometimes I re-shoot a dozen times. I am not a photographer either.
2. Do keyword research to find out what people are searching for on my obvious products. I then load up the title and search terms on amazon with as many terms as apply.
3. I copy-write the hell out of the description - nobody else seems to bother so I will gladly take business away from them for the hour or two it takes me to write it up.

Anyone can sell on amazon by stealing a photo and throwing it up with almost no effort put in. But if you want to actually be successful at this, start treating EVERY single aspect with as much respect as you possibly can. Every single field that CAN be filled in for your product SHOULD be filled in for your product. 12 photo limit per listing? Try to get 12 damn photos up! If they give you 10,000 characters for a description and you only have a tea-light, guess how many characters you should be trying to use? All 10,000 of them. I'm selling a product right now that I can describe in literally 5 or 6 words and you would understand everything it has to offer, I used all but 7 characters of the description limit on it. Some of my categories have 80 character limits for the title - I use 78-80 on all those listings.

Consider this a kick in the a$$. You WILL fail if you assume your your customers will "figure it out" and still choose you, compared to the competition who is holding their hand every step of the way.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Copy-writing sells. Period. Sales are how you make money. That's why it's important. Go buy a book called "Cashvertising" today and read it twice then keep it by your desk for future reference.

Also, you aren't a photographer? The second you became a business owner is the day you stopped "not being" anything. Welcome to the land of "figure it out". Google for tutorials on how to get it done or spend the money on a professional who will charge you $20 - $50 per photo. Saying you have an "obvious" product is a deadly cop-out. A death knell for your time in business.

I sell obvious products. I love obvious products. The less complicated the better. I sell items that 6 year olds can and do use. Do you know what I do with my listings?

1. Shoot as many photos as I can think of and spend hours making them look better than my competition. Sometimes I re-shoot a dozen times. I am not a photographer either.
2. Do keyword research to find out what people are searching for on my obvious products. I then load up the title and search terms on amazon with as many terms as apply.
3. I copy-write the hell out of the description - nobody else seems to bother so I will gladly take business away from them for the hour or two it takes me to write it up.

Anyone can sell on amazon by stealing a photo and throwing it up with almost no effort put in. But if you want to actually be successful at this, start treating EVERY single aspect with as much respect as you possibly can. Every single field that CAN be filled in for your product SHOULD be filled in for your product. 12 photo limit per listing? Try to get 12 damn photos up! If they give you 10,000 characters for a description and you only have a tea-light, guess how many characters you should be trying to use? All 10,000 of them. I'm selling a product right now that I can describe in literally 5 or 6 words and you would understand everything it has to offer, I used all but 7 characters of the description limit on it. Some of my categories have 80 character limits for the title - I use 78-80 on all those listings.

Consider this a kick in the a$$. You WILL fail if you assume your your customers will "figure it out" and still choose you, compared to the competition who is holding their hand every step of the way.

Thank's JAJT, I am going to try to write a longer more detailed description, and I will take better photos. The issue I have now is that since I am doing FBA, I have to ship my items to Amazon in order for my item to not show up as unavailable, and since it's unavailable it won't let me edit the details. Any way around this?

But yeah you're right about the ad copy and photos and keywords. I am going to definitely put more effort and time into all of that. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I appreciate all the help and critiques!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
and since it's unavailable it won't let me edit the details. Any way around this?

That shouldn't be a problem. I edit unavailable listings all the time. Although they call it "reslist" instead of "edit details", maybe that term is throwing you off?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
So I rewrote my product description. Let me know if you guys think its better.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HOLVJN0/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
Go to fiverr.com , in the search bar type "copywritting", review their reviews, and buy one. Its five bucks. Even if you don't use their stuff verbatim, you might be able to get some good ideas.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
What's wrong with it? I actually paid a copywriter on elance to do it.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I just read Drew Whitman's website and an excerpt from Cashvertising and learned a few tidbits.. That post about selling soap was really good! Who knew writing copy could be so powerful :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.