The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Firing too fast (Ready, Fire, Aim..)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

CONAN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Nov 1, 2019
So I'm currently reading Ready, Fire, Aim by Michael Masterson and I thinking about it in terms of my own situation.
I'm currently an employed programmer in my 20s but I'm very interested in starting my own business since I don't see myself typing code in my 40s.
I do have some ideas I would like to try out in the field, without abandoning my job currently.
Since any real attempt to sell a service or a product here requires me to have a company of some sort I'm asking myself (and you :D), do you think that opening a company and registering it for a range of possible fields I would like to try is "firing too fast" since there is a possibility that quite a bit of time can pass until something takes hold and I'm not effectively losing money anymore?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I'd ask yourself: do you need to sell your product "here", wherever that may be? If not, do you still need to register a company to sell your services overseas?

If you end up needing to register a company, it would depend on cost, how ready you are to attempt to make a first sale, and how committed you are. "We can't make that decision for you."

And PS, hey, nothing wrong with typing code into your 40s, as long as you take care of your health and posture it's one of the few things where you can have near infinite longevity.

CONAN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Nov 1, 2019
I'd ask yourself: do you need to sell your product "here", wherever that may be? If not, do you still need to register a company to sell your services overseas?

If you end up needing to register a company, it would depend on cost, how ready you are to attempt to make a first sale, and how committed you are. "We can't make that decision for you."

And PS, hey, nothing wrong with typing code into your 40s, as long as you take care of your health and posture it's one of the few things where you can have near infinite longevity.
Thanks for the answer :)

Yes I think I do need to register a company, thats just how things are here (Croatia). My next step, tomorrow actually, is to find out how much exactly does a "cold drive" for a company cost to see if I can have time to shuffle through ideas if it comes to that.

I know programmers "can last" but as you said health plays a big part there and I'm feeling the negative effects already...

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice

But there is often some sort of leniency in regards to creating a business, and getting any sales - before the need of structuring or registering a company. That is when you're starting out.

Hobbies can be tax-free and therefore have no need of a registered structure. Obviously that hobby can't pull in multiple thousands.

The minute you have verified that you've got an opportunity of making money - and you want to continue you should structure/register the company.

CONAN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Nov 1, 2019
Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice

But there is often some sort of leniency in regards to creating a business, and getting any sales - before the need of structuring or registering a company. That is when you're starting out.

Hobbies can be tax-free and therefore have no need of a registered structure. Obviously that hobby can't pull in multiple thousands.

The minute you have verified that you've got an opportunity of making money - and you want to continue you should structure/register the company.
Unfortunately this is not the case in my country basically any activity that involves selling a product/service should be done through some kind of legal entity exception being maybe selling your stuff on "craigs list" xD

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Since any real attempt to sell a service or a product here requires me to have a company of some sort I'm asking myself (and you :D), do you think that opening a company and registering it for a range of possible fields I would like to try is "firing too fast" since there is a possibility that quite a bit of time can pass until something takes hold and I'm not effectively losing money anymore?

My two cents: If you're holding down a full time job and a regular life too then you wont have a lot of spare time... Setting up and maintenance of a company really does soak up quite a bit of time... legal stuff/Accounting etc. that might be better spent on making your product... unless of course there are grants etc that require being registered like we do here in Ireland....

:peace:

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
So I'm currently reading Ready, Fire, Aim by Michael Masterson and I thinking about it in terms of my own situation.
I'm currently an employed programmer in my 20s but I'm very interested in starting my own business since I don't see myself typing code in my 40s.
I do have some ideas I would like to try out in the field, without abandoning my job currently.
I'd say figure out what your business is in then fire.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.