The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding ways to differentiate myself from mature brands

Marketing, social media, advertising

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
Over the past year, I have been flipping used wheels and tires (for a niche vehicle) on facebook marketplace. I've made several thousand dollars and want to take it to the next level and sell new sets.

Here is my plan:
I found a supplier that makes a wheel design, that is very close to one of the top selling design in my niche. This will save me money because I don't have to purchase a mold.
X amount of sets (their minimum order quantity) will be about 6k after sea shipping. This gives me a 3-4k profit potential.
I plan to sell them on a website.

Here are things I did to test my market:
I posted on this niche facebook group (78,000 members, not sure how many are active and how many actually saw my post) asking if I was to make a design mixed of these two top selling wheels for an affordable price if they be interested. I also posted on a forum the same thing ( the forum is basically dead).
I had 17 people straight up tell me they are interested, 1 person sent me a DM saying they would want 5-10 sets if I made them at the price I said I would. The other 5 said they would be interested after they saw the final design and the quality. The last 2 said it's messed up of me to rip off someones design.

Here is the problem:
There are two wheel companies in my niche that are established and have a good following. Think of them as how people see "name brands". They are both constantly sold out even though they sell at a very high price.
My design is very similar to theirs, almost too close, which makes me think I'll be getting some hate because I "copied them and am trying to rip off their design".

Here is another problem:
In this facebook group, I said I would sell them for X price, but after adding up all the costs it will definitely be more than that (still significantly cheaper than the mature brands).
I think most people said they were interested only because of the unrealistic price I said I would sell them for .

Now my main question:
How can I differentiate myself in a market that already has mature brands, when the product itself is not much different?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
Now my main question:
How can I differentiate myself in a market that already has mature brands, when the product itself is not much different?

Perhaps you should reconsider trying to launch a me-too product without a clear differentiation. If you want to push ahead, did you read unscripted ? There are a few chapters on value skew there. That should give you some excellent direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.