The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally Released My App Game - iOS & Android

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Hey forum,

I haven't been around for a long long time. I've lurked, but no posting. The main reason for this is because I have been developing a software business with a couple of great partners.

In the meantime, my brother and I built/coded/developed an app game for iOS and Android. It was mainly a fun side project, but doing some research into how to market apps, I thought we might as well try to make some money with it.

So, we put ads into the game, and with a lot of tweaking made a very simple game that is also very challenging and somewhat addicting. Then, we took a 5 month break. This was mainly due to us working a lot on our business, but now we've finally decided to release it.

Since its release on Friday, Jan 16th, we've got over 500 downloads already, and getting decent traction and exposure from other people. We're deploying a variety of promotion tactics, but who knows what will happen in the next 25 days. That's a decent amount of time to help push it though.

I'd like to answer questions if anyone has any on the process we've gone through, so be sure to ask some!

----

It's free to download, via Apple or Google Play.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fearless-froggy/id951557601
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shocktopstudios.fearlessfroggy

Thanks everyone!!!

----

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 16

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Hah, I tried it, nice app :)

I wasn't a big fan of Flappy Bird either but it is fun to play. My best score after 5 min was still just 10 :))

I am courious about how big a revenue can produce a small app like this. I can see that you have ad just in the menu. After 500 downloads are you seeing some results in income?

I am passionate about mobile apps and I would like to know how big of an income can produce 100, 500, 1000 downloads for example.

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC
Hey good job bro and good luck, a little feedback, the music was annoying to me, may be give the player an option, where he can choose from different tracks, the more tracks the better.
Also can you tell me what you used to code the game on Android and Apple, thanks.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Not a bad, simple game app. I am currently developing an iOS game that is fairly simple as well and would certainly like to know how quickly you start seeing any revenue from this,... even if it's only a few cents a day.

Please keep us updated on the progress of this.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Nice app guys :) which programs did you use to develop the app?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I would like to know how big of an income can produce 100, 500, 1000 downloads for example

I've been trying to come up with a basic metric for this. I think the last number I came up with was that you could expect $1500 in iAd money each month, for every 100k downloads. There are probably too many variables for such a metric to be accurate.

I'm starting to see a backlash against a lot of the "spammy" type games that have several ads before you even get to the actual game, an ad every time you die, etc. The OP's game was fine, it has a few ads, but nothing to drive you insane. Twice in the last week, I've heard the state of iOS gaming described as "an ocean of ads". Of course if they keep making money, there will only be more.

It's weird how back in the 90s and 00's, people would pay $40-$55 for a PC game that might very well suck, and just have to eat the cost (insert "Tongue of the Fatman"). Today, people want 60 levels of game play, 12 bosses, 1 superboss, fancy graphics, fancy sound, constant titillation, or they will give you 1 star and say your app is a scam. And they want it all for 99 cents, or better yet - free.

Last edited:

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I've been trying to come up with a basic metric for this. I think the last number I came up with was that you could expect $1500 in iAd money each month, for every 100k downloads. There are probably too many variables for such a metric to be accurate.

I'm starting to see a backlash against a lot of the "spammy" type games that have several ads before you even get to the actual game, an ad every time you die, etc. The OP's game was fine, it has a few ads, but nothing to drive you insane. Twice in the last week, I've heard the state of iOS gaming described as "an ocean of ads". Of course if they keep making money, there will only be more.

It's weird how back in the 90s and 00's, people would pay $40-$55 for a PC game that might very well suck, and just have to eat the cost (insert "Tongue of the Fatman"). Today, people want 60 levels of game play, 12 bosses, 1 superboss, fancy graphics, fancy sound, constant titillation, or they will give you 1 star and say your app is a scam. And they want it all for 99 cents, or better yet - free.

The evolution of gaming. Kids would laugh at games like "Oregon Trail" today, but that was an amazing play back in the 90s.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I am courious about how big a revenue can produce a small app like this. I can see that you have ad just in the menu. After 500 downloads are you seeing some results in income?

I am passionate about mobile apps and I would like to know how big of an income can produce 100, 500, 1000 downloads for example.

A small app like this won't make much. But, if you make a good game that people want to share with their friends (to challenge them most likely), then you're helping yourself out a lot in terms of marketing it. But like every business, you need to have a few solid marketing tactics to help it grow.

After 500 downloads (735 to be exact), we have seen $20 come in and we are only using admob. That's only 5 days of it being on the store as well.

It really depends on how long people play your game, how often ads show, etc to see how much $ you make per user per week or per month. if they dont keep the game that long, then obviously the value per user per month will be very low.

Typically, apps with very little downloads (under 10,000 or so) i dont think make much at all. Maybe $100-$500? The goal is growing fast (within a month on Google Play, so you hit the top 25 of New Free games in your category, which should create a snowball effect if your app is good, getting you a TON of downloads and $$$$

Hey good job bro and good luck, a little feedback, the music was annoying to me, may be give the player an option, where he can choose from different tracks, the more tracks the better.
Also can you tell me what you used to code the game on Android and Apple, thanks.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback, and thats a good idea about the music!

The game was crated using GameMaker by Yoyo games.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Not a bad, simple game app. I am currently developing an iOS game that is fairly simple as well and would certainly like to know how quickly you start seeing any revenue from this,... even if it's only a few cents a day.

Please keep us updated on the progress of this.

Thank you! Much appreciated :) I would be interested to see your game once its out. please let me know.

We saw revenue on day 1. So far its nearly $20 in just 5 days, so we'll see what happens! Will definitely keep this thread updated.

Nice app guys :) which programs did you use to develop the app?

We (my brother did all the coding) used GameMaker studio: https://www.yoyogames.com/studio :)

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Congrats on your game release, and I wish you the best of luck! I'm in mobile gaming too and it's very motivating to read how well you guys are doing in just 5 days!

Where did you get the graphics for the game?(or were they self made by a designer on your team?)

What do you think about Revmob advertising, is it efficient for monetizing games that are simpler than high end graphics games?

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC
A small app like this won't make much. But, if you make a good game that people want to share with their friends (to challenge them most likely), then you're helping yourself out a lot in terms of marketing it. But like every business, you need to have a few solid marketing tactics to help it grow.

After 500 downloads (735 to be exact), we have seen $20 come in and we are only using admob. That's only 5 days of it being on the store as well.

It really depends on how long people play your game, how often ads show, etc to see how much $ you make per user per week or per month. if they dont keep the game that long, then obviously the value per user per month will be very low.

Typically, apps with very little downloads (under 10,000 or so) i dont think make much at all. Maybe $100-$500? The goal is growing fast (within a month on Google Play, so you hit the top 25 of New Free games in your category, which should create a snowball effect if your app is good, getting you a TON of downloads and $$$$

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback, and thats a good idea about the music!

The game was crated using GameMaker by Yoyo games.
Checked out the website, yoyo looks cool, I'll keep that in mind if I ever need it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.