The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback on Cover Design? (Adult Coloring Book)

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I cringe a little at posting WIP to public sites but I need objective, honest feedback please. If this were a book cover, what would your reaction to it be? Hate? Love? Meh? Details are immensely appreciated :)

Thanks,
Kathy

cover.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On a scale of 1 to 10.... 3. Just IMO.

I think it's purpose needs to be clearer, don't think its the best font selection. Is there are market for this kinda stuff?

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. Yes, large hungry primarily female market, hence the color selections. I think I'll mock up 4 or 5 designs and see if any one strikes a chord.

aaron bowe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 14, 2015
Huge market. Every girl I know in high school and college is obsessed with these things.

Concerning the cover - Most of the girls favor these things in bright pink and teal so you got that aspect correct. Maybe make the colors pop a little more though if possible. The designs you chose are very simple while some of the more complex mandalas will definitely catch a persons eye.

A girl I know has nonstop showed me this picture for weeks.
mandala-e1440211624370.png

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
It's the epitome of "Money Chasing" Surely?

I've been seeing a lot about this recently. The premise goes that the secret garden sold over 1,000,000 copies, therefore it's a massive niche that could make you rich.

Forgetting that someone put effort into that book, which you can see from the previews of it, as opposed to the shit the money chasers are putting out. Which is a crap outline of stuff they've found on line for free and changed to "coloring" books.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
The graphics are a bit too jagged and doesnt look flowing.
Also the coloured in bits are'nt touching the outlines which makes it look cheap.

Needs more vibrant colours to stand out imo also. Some oranges, lime greens, purples etc ones that make it eye catching. Try giving it a background colour.
Fonts are terrible visit FontSquirrel and Dafont for a range of more suiting ones, sometimes just changing a font can make a graphic!

Best of luck with the venture it is a new 'craze' but if you can capitalise on it and make a few $'s good on you!

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
It's the epitome of "Money Chasing" Surely?

I've been seeing a lot about this recently. The premise goes that the secret garden sold over 1,000,000 copies, therefore it's a massive niche that could make you rich.

Forgetting that someone put effort into that book, which you can see from the previews of it, as opposed to the shit the money chasers are putting out. Which is a crap outline of stuff they've found on line for free and changed to "coloring" books.

Some are attempting the money chasing game yes. Done properly, this is an evergreen market :)

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Huge market. Every girl I know in high school and college is obsessed with these things.

Concerning the cover - Most of the girls favor these things in bright pink and teal so you got that aspect correct. Maybe make the colors pop a little more though if possible. The designs you chose are very simple while some of the more complex mandalas will definitely catch a persons eye.

A girl I know has nonstop showed me this picture for weeks.
mandala-e1440211624370.png

Putting some of the more complex designs on the cover is an excellent idea. Those draw the biggest crowds and help the product stand out from lower quality stuff.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Some are attempting the money chasing game yes. Done properly, this is an evergreen market :)

Re-reading what I posted, I was being very harsh and negative there. Something I'm working on.....

Yes, but the true artists will be the one's who make it worth anything, it's funny how this is circulating as a new "niche" from multiple angles. Makes me think it's not worth doing unless I can add something unique to the method is all.

Looking at it the other day, I saw a tattoo one (seems like a good idea) but the person who reviewed it said they expected such and such, and not so many skulls or something along them lines.

There's problems galore with this niche, solving them is probably where the money is.

P.S. I'm very tempted to jump into this myself, don't want to put anybody down either. Go for it!

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
I think you should improve your Typography first.

The second thing that I didn't like is that the space feels too crowded and the art looks a little jagged/pixelated to me.

Overall it has an old and unprofessional feeling, but I believe that a modern and clean look could be achieved with a little bit of editing.

At least change your Typography and improve the image quality.

I do Graphics Design, if you need help feel free to hit me up. (Click on my name then "Start a conversation")

Good luck.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
coloringbook.png I agree on changing the typography. I'd also remove the drop shadow from the text. With this being a coloring book then the most important element is going to be the illustration on the cover. The addition of the drop shadow makes the typography take dominance. The attached is nowhere near right, but gives an idea of how you can make sure the coloring element becomes the attention grabber, but still has enough interesting detail to the rest of the elements that people won't just overlook them.

Last edited:

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
I agree on changing the typography. I'd also remove the drop shadow from the text. With this being a coloring book then the most element element is going to be the illustration on the cover. The addition of the drop shadow makes the typography take dominance. The attached is nowhere near right, but gives an idea of how you can make sure the coloring element becomes the attention grabber, but still has enough interesting detail to the rest of the elements that people won't just overlook them.View attachment 10373

I think it's a lot nicer this way, but the pixelated image still bugs me.
It's easily fixable in Photoshop.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
View attachment 10375 I agree on changing the typography. I'd also remove the drop shadow from the text. With this being a coloring book then the most element element is going to be the illustration on the cover. The addition of the drop shadow makes the typography take dominance. The attached is nowhere near right, but gives an idea of how you can make sure the coloring element becomes the attention grabber, but still has enough interesting detail to the rest of the elements that people won't just overlook them.

This type of specific feedback is invaluable

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I think you should improve your Typography first.

The second thing that I didn't like is that the space feels too crowded and the art looks a little jagged/pixelated to me.

Overall it has an old and unprofessional feeling, but I believe that a modern and clean look could be achieved with a little bit of editing.

At least change your Typography and improve the image quality.

I do Graphics Design, if you need help feel free to hit me up. (Click on my name then "Start a conversation")

Good luck.

Yes, I realized this morning it's been almost 15 years since I've produced print books and there were several things I was overlooking. I've sent the specs and design suggestions to my designer and will share her concepts when I get them in the next few days. Meanwhile I'm finishing the interior :)

Thank you so much everyone, your feedback has been extremely helpful!

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Wonder @EPerceptions and huge kudos for you to be so open to feedback. Whether it ends up being right or wrong for what you need hopefully we've given you some things to think about that spark other ideas!

Keep us updated on it all - I just discovered my sister is into the adult coloring book thing big time so I know where to come when it's time to buy her a present!

Thank you also to both you and @Vigilante for the rep transfer, so appreciated :)

D

Deleted20833

Get in contact with Mickey Kreeps...he will charge about $100 for the cover but it will be done from
scratch and it will look 1000X more professional

go to: http://www.thewildstyles.com to check out his work

he has hand drawn and graphic designed sugar skulls and calligraphic fonts for me
and they come out nice..he has worked with big tattoo clothing brands

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
I think that if you compressed the "design" some so that the Titles stand out it might work better - It seems to "busy" and the floral design takes away from the impact of the titles you created.

Just my opinion - hope it helps...

L

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow! Guess that link answers the demand question.

Yup, proof that our individual opinions aren't to be held in the highest regard versus a market opinion. I had no clue. Kinda reminds me how many of the Star Wars actors thought the movie sucked before it was released. The market felt otherwise.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Two finalists. Downsizing changed the colors slightly, so I'll have to figure out how not to mess that up in the final upload. Thoughts?

cover page 2A-sm.jpg

cover page 12-sm.jpg

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.