The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback on an idea

Idea threads

jdubs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 18, 2023
I need some feedback on this idea I have for a clothing brand that focuses on advocating for men's mental health. I feel like there is a huge need in society for men to have better support systems in their lives that they can reach out to and receive advice, encouragement, or simply have someone listen to their problems. So my idea is a clothing brand that focuses on selling high-quality pieces, intended to inspire the wearer and those around them through its graphics and philosophical quotes from people like Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, etc.

I believe an idea like this would satisfy all of "CENTS" except for maybe Entry since it is fairly easy to start a clothing brand with simple text on it. However, I think executing this idea in the right way could grow it to huge potential. I also know this isn't a new idea and plenty of brands like this already exist. My plan to differentiate is to solve the need that I'm spreading awareness for by providing resources on my website for men to use and donating a portion of profits to charities focusing on this issue. Eventually, I'd want to start my own foundation that this business would help support.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to any and all feedback.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Well if you can marketing it and make good storytelling why not, people are selling anything anyway

There will be a lot of competition however but that won't necessarily prevent you from selling, you seem like you have a good structure in mind

This is not really compelling with Control neither because you'll probably have to use third-party

It will be a good experience of business anyway, so test it

Beginning by doing the website and sharing value to get traction seem like a good idea, only spending time, not money

It is already better than just printing the tee and hope it to sell (won't work)

jdubs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 18, 2023
Thanks for your feedback @Raedrum. I think control would be satisfied since I would have full control over what the messaging, pricing, design, and style of the brand would be. Although you are right that I would have to source clothing blanks from a 3rd party to start which would heavily reduce control.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I need some feedback on this idea I have for a clothing brand that focuses on advocating for men's mental health. I feel like there is a huge need in society for men to have better support systems in their lives that they can reach out to and receive advice, encouragement, or simply have someone listen to their problems. So my idea is a clothing brand that focuses on selling high-quality pieces, intended to inspire the wearer and those around them through its graphics and philosophical quotes from people like Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, etc.

I believe an idea like this would satisfy all of "CENTS" except for maybe Entry since it is fairly easy to start a clothing brand with simple text on it. However, I think executing this idea in the right way could grow it to huge potential. I also know this isn't a new idea and plenty of brands like this already exist. My plan to differentiate is to solve the need that I'm spreading awareness for by providing resources on my website for men to use and donating a portion of profits to charities focusing on this issue. Eventually, I'd want to start my own foundation that this business would help support.

My two cents...
Entry and Need seem weak.
Time and Scale are solid.
Control is questionable depending on how you manufacture and fulfill everything.

Entry
Anyone can do the same thing for next to zero investment.
Find a quote, pick a font, mock up a shirt, post it on social media, use print on demand service.

Need
There is not a need for clothing that focuses on advocating for men's mental health.
Your business would heavily rely on marketing.
Without exceptional marketing, it'll be extremely difficult.

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
Read "Brand Seduction." After you've read that, and you feel you can still do it, shoot for the stars. I really hope this takes off.

jdubs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 18, 2023
Hmm, @wade1mil you bring up a great point. You may be right that this isn't the best route because there is sooo much saturation in the clothing industry already. The problem that does need solving isn't a lack of clothing, but instead exposure and lack of awareness/support for men to talk about their mental health. Clothing is essentially just the medium used to spread that message, but may not be the best avenue to do so.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Throw up a teespring site and try it.

The barrier to entry is very low. To sell T-shirts, I guess you could try getting them in front of a seller in the mental health niche and try to get them to sell them. What makes you different from any other t shirt salesman? You'd probably need to already have good connections or you'd need to get lucky to be chosen.

How do you plan on marketing these?

Last edited:

beres8011

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 2, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

I am not certain how clothing and mental health problems join together.

crystal_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 20, 2023

Have you checked out Kill Crew? They've been doing something similar, though not with the quotes. I think they've done over 8 figs in the last few years.

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
I even agree with your statement that mental health is important, including men's mental health.
But why would I want to wear a t-shirt with a quote related to mental health? And how would that help anyone?
Something like wearing a bracelet or something similar for "mental health awareness month", where the proceeds go to a good cause, I could at least understand, but a t-shirt...?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.