The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fear of failure and comfort zone

Anything related to matters of the mind

khsrr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 30, 2012
Fear of failure and being afraid to step out of my comfort zone our things that I have struggled with as an individual. I know that in order to be a successful entrepreneur and person these are two mindsets that I will have to get over. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with it, and have any of you gone through the same thing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jrodriguez90

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2012
Colombia
Fear of failure and being afraid to step out of my comfort zone our things that I have struggled with as an individual. I know that in order to be a successful entrepreneur and person these are two mindsets that I will have to get over. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with it, and have any of you gone through the same thing?

yeah, here is the best advice you'll ever have " STOP FEARING AND START DOING" what's the worst that can happen?

Saqua

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 20, 2013
UK
I had the same fear.

What you need to realize is failing is not actually failing, it is another step closer towards success. If you fail a couple of times eventually you will learn from your mistakes and reach your goals. If your worried about people calling you a failure (like they did to me), this isnt actually a bad thing. Sometimes people reach their goals when their friends or family criticize them in order so they can prove they are not a failure.

Let me know if this helps.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
What's with all these "I'm afraid" posts recently? Must be a side effect of the flu or something.

With every failure comes the realization that:
  1. You learned something
  2. Failure's really not so bad
The sooner you get some failures under your belt the sooner you'll see there's nothing there to fear. Unless you're afraid of jumping out of airplanes without a parachute, in which case some of the above advice is wrong.

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"​
There's a reason that saying is famous. Just get out there and start doing shit - don't sweat failures. They're as necessary as falling down when you're learning to walk, and about as traumatic.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I fear apathy way more than I fear failure. I have fallen from heights most people never get a chance to see.

I spent as little time as possible sad about the fall... and as much time as possible trying to get back up that mountain again.

Life is better at the top of the mountain. Way better than the scars that keep some people from climbing.

If I had to do it all over again, I would.

I have had my heart ripped out of my chest.

If I had to do it all over again, I would.

Life is better on top of the mountain.

I don't fear failure any more.

Get in the game.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Well. You will fail. At some point something you do will fail. Some failures will be small. Some failures will be life-alteringly huge. You'll fail. You might as well embrace it now. Figure out your worst case scenario and protect against that as best you can.

Sue

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I know most people here will have full, indepth, and incredible answers to give you, so I'll just share a quote.

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

Don't be afraid to start man, it's like riding a bike on a bigger scale. You don't think think about being a pro BMX rider, you just think about making it 3 feet. Too many people look at things in the long run, learn as you go.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
If you have this fear I am sure you also fear rejection. You have to overcome these two things if you want a happy life. How to do it? JUST DO IT! (disclaimer: I don't work for Nike lol)

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
If you have this fear I am sure you also fear rejection. You have to overcome these two things if you want a happy life. How to do it?
8146-nike-just-do-it.png

Come on man, no product placement!

Take a look at that regret quote, apply it to anything. The one girl you didn't ask out but you wanted to, anything. But the only way to do it is to gradually adjust until it becomes the norm. The hardest part is taking the first step.

JAWS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
If you think back in your life, I'm sure you have failed at something....and your still alive right? How much has it affected it? Did it help you grow?

A great book to read about failure (and just shipping your art!) is Icarus Deception...and anything from Seth Godin may help. But remember, these books are not substitutes for action.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.