The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fast approaching 40, just switched to the fastlane

wrrnwng

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 9, 2018
Taiwan
I'll be turning 38 next month and the wife and I have a 4 month old baby boy.
For probably the past 8 years, I've been a "wantrapreneur" focusing on "being prepared" rather than actually doing.
I started off out of college with over $20k in debt and a liberal arts degree that couldn't even help me land a temp job. I graduated right before I turned 25, and without much prospects, moved back in with my mom. Through some family connections, I landed a data entry job that turned into a pretty well paying slowlane doing financial analysis.
I picked up programming along the way (Excel/VBA is like the gateway drug of programming, it seems). Switched to software as a career.
In between, I've taken stints on the sidewalk (2 years living in Taiwan, learning Chinese, then learning JavaScript) funded by my slowlane.
I just recently left my last slowlane position of Software Engineer at a startup in SF.
I'm much more cognizant of the fact that I prefer freedom of time over the apparent safety of a slowlane job. I have a bit of a runway saved up (all earmarked for living expenses for my family and myself).
I'll never return to salaried employment (out of need for money) ever again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
What are your plans to get started in the fastlane? Have you made a specific choice in what services you would like to provide?

Start taking IMMEDIATE ACTION if you no longer have that safety net of employment. If you've had wantrapreneur tendencies in the past then you need to get off to a good start ASAP! (I have been there too...)

All the best to you and your family.

Welcome to the forum!

wrrnwng

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 9, 2018
Taiwan
What are your plans to get started in the fastlane? Have you made a specific choice in what services you would like to provide?

Start taking IMMEDIATE ACTION if you no longer have that safety net of employment. If you've had wantrapreneur tendencies in the past then you need to get off to a good start ASAP! (I have been there too...)

All the best to you and your family.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply.

First product I will launch is site to study for the CFA exam. I narrowed down the focus to only on quantitative questions, specifically step-by-step approach to answering the questions with the HP 12c calculator. I'm starting off with just a landing site to collect emails. I will drive traffic with tutorial blog posts. I'll come out with it at a regular clip for about a month. Obviously I'm glossing over a couple more marketing steps (and the unforeseen). Ultimately, I'd monetize with an e-book.

I figure the education this project will provide me would pay dividends down the line.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Are you just coasting on savings while you build your MVP? How much of a runway do you have?

Asking because I'm about 4 years younger than you and have savings but am still in the slowlane job.

wrrnwng

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 9, 2018
Taiwan
Are you just coasting on savings while you build your MVP? How much of a runway do you have?

Asking because I'm about 4 years younger than you and have savings but am still in the slowlane job.

I haven't officially left my job yet (this Friday), but yes, plan is to burn through some savings. I also moved to a cheaper area (worked in San Francisco, moved to Taiwan). Honestly, if I didn't have a baby at home, I probably would have stayed in the slowlane until I built something small in my spare time (though, like @Dunkafelics stated, wantrapreneur tendencies were strong). I just figured it's now or never since I will only be out here for a year or two. I don't want the baby to grow up here.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Start taking IMMEDIATE ACTION

you know, i always smile when reading this kind of advice

yes it sounds true

but reality is a bad friend

here is what i mean:

eben pagan.jpg

the pareto principle says that what matters is not starting

what matters is finding the right way

80 % of what we try won't work in the short term

but 20 % of what we try will work in the long term

that's why Eben pagan talks about the right mindset, the right this, the right that

full explanation here :

this is a free course

Day 1: The Right Mindset - Eben Pagan

extraordwealth

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Apr 12, 2014
I'll be turning 38 next month and the wife and I have a 4 month old baby boy.
For probably the past 8 years, I've been a "wantrapreneur" focusing on "being prepared" rather than actually doing.
I started off out of college with over $20k in debt and a liberal arts degree that couldn't even help me land a temp job. I graduated right before I turned 25, and without much prospects, moved back in with my mom. Through some family connections, I landed a data entry job that turned into a pretty well paying slowlane doing financial analysis.
I picked up programming along the way (Excel/VBA is like the gateway drug of programming, it seems). Switched to software as a career.
In between, I've taken stints on the sidewalk (2 years living in Taiwan, learning Chinese, then learning JavaScript) funded by my slowlane.
I just recently left my last slowlane position of Software Engineer at a startup in SF.
I'm much more cognizant of the fact that I prefer freedom of time over the apparent safety of a slowlane job. I have a bit of a runway saved up (all earmarked for living expenses for my family and myself).
I'll never return to salaried employment (out of need for money) ever again.
You can't switch to Fastlane overnight without concrete steps.

What are your plans and specific action steps towards switching to Fastlane.
If wishes were horses, bergers will ride

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...