- Joined
- Aug 9, 2007
- Messages
- 682
Rep Bank
$865
$865
User Power: 17%
I'm curious how others here deal with the paying of bills, etc for your family.
My wife and I have a combined savings account and separate checking accounts. She wants to remain independent and not "dependent" on me to handle all the finances, which I applaud and support. I make substantially more than her, so we've set up our budget where I transfer her some additional money each month so we both have the same amount of discretionary income after bills are paid, savings put aside and investments funded (well, ideally that's how it happens!)
The issue is my wife, while a brilliant woman, is not numbers oriented and has difficulty balancing her books every month. She often overdraws her checking account and comes to me for help. I'm not as concerned about that as I am that she never seems to have an accurate snapshot of how much disposable income she has left to spend each month and then it comes the 20th of the month and she's out and hasn't paid all her bills yet.
I know she is frustrated and feels stupid about it, but its now getting to the point where we are starting to waste a lot of money because of her mismanagement. It's just an extra $200 here from savings, $50 there on overdraft, etc but I've realized it probably adds up to $2k a year.
I have "spreadsheets for my spreadsheets" and have been balancing my money and investments since I was 18 (I'm now 31). Both of our lives would be so much easier if I just managed our finances.
But I don't know how to bring this up without offending my wife. Any ideas?
My wife and I have a combined savings account and separate checking accounts. She wants to remain independent and not "dependent" on me to handle all the finances, which I applaud and support. I make substantially more than her, so we've set up our budget where I transfer her some additional money each month so we both have the same amount of discretionary income after bills are paid, savings put aside and investments funded (well, ideally that's how it happens!)
The issue is my wife, while a brilliant woman, is not numbers oriented and has difficulty balancing her books every month. She often overdraws her checking account and comes to me for help. I'm not as concerned about that as I am that she never seems to have an accurate snapshot of how much disposable income she has left to spend each month and then it comes the 20th of the month and she's out and hasn't paid all her bills yet.
I know she is frustrated and feels stupid about it, but its now getting to the point where we are starting to waste a lot of money because of her mismanagement. It's just an extra $200 here from savings, $50 there on overdraft, etc but I've realized it probably adds up to $2k a year.
I have "spreadsheets for my spreadsheets" and have been balancing my money and investments since I was 18 (I'm now 31). Both of our lives would be so much easier if I just managed our finances.
But I don't know how to bring this up without offending my wife. Any ideas?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
